1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

which is the better mode?

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Mr. Bungle, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>Oh wait...Shota, thanks for pointing it out.

dude..it 's clear enough in the topic line. "mode" does not mean the other, entirely different game.

>If I have a beef with someone, or if I want to measure my ability against that person, I would play single mode.

can you please just answer why you think that can't be done in tb mode?

2. Mr. Bungle

>Seriously though, it's easier to make a comeback in OB because your life bar is always full every round.

yes, it is easier. but you said before that ob mode was more _condusive_ to comebacks. and it isn't; tb mode is. there always be more comeback potential in tb games.

3. Mr. Bungle

>the data conversion is done...

groovy!

>working on a new site look and feel. Do you have character images? One for each version of the game maybe?

have i got images! would you like huge portraits, small character shots, stage shots, or headshots (small or large)?
    i have decent vf2 and vf3 images, unfortunately i have very, very little (decent) VF1 stuff.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    But what do u mean by being able to get away with a lucky in OB n not in TB

Maybe I shouldn't have said a 'lucky win'. What I meant to say was really just reiterating my first point, which was the differences in life recovery in TB (partial) and OB (full). So, if you just manage to scrape in a win (maybe you were lucky, maybe you weren't), your next round is going to be hard fought in TB. But in OB, you start from square one again.

So it's just a matter of whether you prefer a series of short races, or a marathon.

Seems like a few people in this thread are missing the point to the original question. It has nothing to do with single/multiple character selection nor one's ability to play competitively.

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

so...does this mean you really enjoy the Team battle
    mode?

GE

6. GodEater

i can supply VF1 stuff

GE

7. GodEater

really, the best that you can do is to get half your life back. When you only have a pixel left and you're up against multiple characters it's naturally harder to come back.

and that is precisely what makes the comeback in TB so much
    more rewarding. Being able to sucessfuly comback from a
    complete deficit at the beginning of a round means
    so much more than being able to do it with a full bar.

wooo, this is so circular. I see no possible resolution
    but it is fun. Everyone keep posting!

GE

8. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Sorry I know I ramble off topic entirely too often.

Truth be told most people I play with prefer OB mode so my expierience with TB is limited at best...kinda sad but most of the time I choose TB mode It's so I can get the Dural stage variants,I probably should play TB more often though as lately I feel as if I no longer have a "main" character since I've been splitting my time between pretty much everyone,in fact it would probably be to my advantage to play TB five rounds now :).

9. GodEater

back on topic

I was just having fun.. Your post was completely surreal
    and I couldn't resist!

I just had a couple of hours on arcade TB with decent
    competition. I really find it more adrenalizing with
    the variable damage and having to change strategies
    from round to round. so much fun. It really is just
    a matter of preference but I find single character
    TB to be flat and sometimes boring.

GE

10. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Re: back on topic

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I just had a couple of hours on arcade TB with decent
    competition.

<hr></blockquote>

What - you making trips to Funland without dropping a line? Shame shame.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

11. GodEater

Re: back on topic

I just figured normal blokes (you and KB)
    with normal schedules wouldn't be able to
    align with the schedule nomads like Shroud
    and myself. It was all pretty last minute.

Fun though. Next time for sure.

GE

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

That's what I mean by "conducive"...it's easier, though not necessarily as rewarding as TB.

Generally, yes, I find playing in TB more than but not as intense as OB. Fun because there is variety but OB is more intense in the sense that it is more "pure." Sorry if I can't go deeper than that as to why my preferences are they way they are.

Sorry if I'm not replying to every post post-by-post...I view stuff in flat mode.

ice-9<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 2/7/01 07:10 PM.</FONT></P>

13. Mr. Bungle

re: "conducive" (blag)...i looked it up, and then i agree with GE - circular, etc. this could go on forever.

anyway, i seriously disagree. you can have it varied, fun and also intense. tb takes none of that away from ob. none. zilch. fecking zero.

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Nah.
    There's some really good deals going on.
    Buy two get one free deals.
    SO I went and got Rayman, cotton, Gunbird2 and FV2...
    ALL GREAT FUN.

But did ja know, If I am buying a PS2 here(seriously considering) It's not under warranty by Sony cause Sony haven't 'officially' released them here.

The Grand Incompetence that is Known as Sony!!!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I know!

U usually have no trouble against me in TB!!!!/images/icons/mad.gif

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

For what's worth,
    I've always been an 'original' KFC guy. I hate that crispy and dry feeling.

Then again, I've always been called 'banana man'
    Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.
    Something which I had to endure cause I spend more time hanging with Skips during my time at down under.

Back to the main topic.
    now that Chan brought it up,
    I always put Jacky last. This way, I get to test my own skills. If I get slaughtered at the first two rounds(If my ass, it always happens)I try and make a comeback with Jacky.

Personally, TB lets me guage my skill and how good I am under pressure.
    Believe me, down to Jacky while the challanger still has three characters left(we always play 5 rounds)...good fun!

17. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Re: More than one character and OB/TB Strategy...

REPLY REPLY REPLY!!! I wanna hear your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!

CrewNYC!!!!!!!!!!

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Re: More than one character and OB/TB Strategy...

Well, I mentioned this long, long ago. It also forces Shun to forget about that "Sacrificial Drinking Round" strategy, but I guess that only forces Shun to fight more skillfully with fewer drunken points.

What's everyone's opinion on semi-sober Shun being competitive with all of the other characters? I know there's a variety of opinions on this. (While you're responding to that, add more on your ideas of OB/TB modes, heck, add your TB lineup guidelines if you want).

-Chanchai

19. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Images for the new VP

Excellent, thanks you two. I was thinking along the lines of small head/character shots of VF1, VF2, and VF3. Also, if there are any pictures you think would look good on the site let me know.

cheers,
    kbcat

20. Mr. Bungle