1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Who is a good character for intermidiate players??

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Lion_Rafale, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Lion_Rafale

Lion_Rafale Member

In VF4. Right now, I use Lion and Lau. Who else is good??

2. Lion_Rafale

Lion_Rafale Member

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Just pick one.

4. Lion_Rafale

Lion_Rafale Member

[sarcasm]Good advice[/sarcasm]

5. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

I would say the Bryants.

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Wolf or Akira..they are by far the most powerful characters in the game.

7. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Depends on what your motivation for learning another character is for.

Any character can be played so it is competitive. Sticking to a few is good is a wise decision. Otherwise pick a character according to whether you want to address different foundation skills in your game or maybe just to understand particular characters and their arsenal of moves to better counter them.

Lion and Lau have strengths and weaknesses. Wolf or Jeffrey are good choices to gain more experience with heavy characters and their throwing game. Or maybe a character that has some stances.

8. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

Pick up wolf or kage. You'll grow stronger and your games get better. Jeff is limited in strategic expression. Akira is too demanding. Shun needs u to be always aware of DP.

9. Lion_Rafale

Lion_Rafale Member

Alright, I'll give Kage a try. Thx

10. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Whoever you damn well want. In my opinion, you shouldn't base your choice of fighting game characters based on hearing people say "x character is powerful" or "x character sucks". ANY character is powerful or weak when used certain ways. If a character is weak despite being in the hands of a skilled player, then the game's foundation has serious problems.
    Here's my suggestion: Give VF4 command training a run-through for all characters. See the techniques everyone uses, and how they flow together and compliment each other. Are there any techniques or characters you take a strong liking to?
    Also, some players put a lot of emphasis on picking characters based on looks/personality/style etc... there's no problems with that either. That character is supposed to be representing a part of you as you play, after all.

Even though I'm new to VF4 and having to re-learn a lot that I'd forgotten about the series, I decided I was going to learn and use Vanessa in VF4. Why?

- I like her strong, hard-hitting techniques.
    - She's an interesting character design with a heavy intimidation factor.
    - Her play style is rather unique compared to the other existing characters.

Of course, the downside is that she is very difficult to get used to at first, and she's not overly combo-friendly. Still, I like her very much and intend to continue play with her.
    Remember, it's good to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of all the characters, but ultimately the choice of who to use should be up to you and your personal tastes.

11. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Definitely try to get through training mode for each character, to get a feel for what they're good at. Anybody can be powerful if used properly (a popular quote of Pai players everywhere), so just pick the character(s) most suited to your fighting style and concentrate on a few of them. For example, you may want to pick up Jeffry for a while because he focuses on knowing when you have the advantage, so you can get a feel for when you can press the offensive with your main characters. Similarly, if you never seem to land throws, it may be a good idea to check out Wolf or Aoi and concentrate on improving your throw game. (Aoi will also make you glad you're not subject to an extra PG or two in every combo... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)

12. Shadowdean

In VF, however, this is definatly a teer of characters who are simply better than others. From what i have observed and played, the TOP characters thus far are 1) Wolf 2) akira 3) Jacky 4) Shun
    Wolf: Has THE most options of any character and is the hardest to shut down with good side stepping. Akira's main problem is he is so linear, in high level competition where stepping is paramount, his major weapons can really be nullified...though when they hit...ouch!
    Akira: He is just SOOOO damn powerful and very good priority.
    3) Jacky - option select! Seriously, he has ticks that are powerful and has a decent throw game and a lot of ways to mix up levels.
    4) Shun: w/o dp he can do decent damage, with just a few, he can easily rape a character with basic combos doing 60-80 pts damage..get above 10 dp and....

13. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Damn...I don't believe that I waited this long. But I cannot take it any more.

Josh...do a spell check for everyone's sake. You have to observe many things to get your message across; spelling is the least you can do. "definatly", "teer", geez...and I started learning English after being in highschool.

In VF, however, this is definatly a teer of characters who are simply better than others.

What do you mean, "in VF"? There will always be tiers in any fighting games you'll see, unless all the characters are made out to be the same.

From what i have observed and played, the TOP characters thus far are 1) Wolf 2) akira 3) Jacky 4) Shun

Shit...what do you know about VF4? As a matter of fact, what did you know about VF3 even? PPPK was the best thing your Sarah could offer, as far as I remember.

Wolf: Has THE most options of any character and is the hardest to shut down with good side stepping.

So...did you really play all the characters to know that Wolf had more options than any other character? Is Wolf's side-stepping necessarily better than that of the others?

To Robyrt: My suggestion, in choosing a character, is to pick whoever you like, based on character design, cool looking moves, etc. There ARE tiers and unbalanced matchups, but not to the extent of being unfair.

I used to choose a character so that I could win the most with the least effort. Later on in VF3 days, I switched to Lau purely out of my liking for the character. Since then, I became more creative in my games. My attitude toward wins & losses softened; I had less burn ups even in the midst of cut throat competition, such as at NYGs.

14. ken

ken Well-Known Member

This is an international board where many who frequent here do not have English as their primary language. Not everyone is fortunate to have perfect spelling like yours. Practice makes perfect. I'm sure Shadowdean is trying to improve or doesn't give a shit about what you think about his spelling.

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ken, just so you know, Shadowdean is an American and his primary language is English which is why sta783, myself and others have been on his case about his god-awful spelling. You haven't been around the boards as long as we have, and so your tolerance levels are probably still pretty high (compared to ours).

One can only take so much.

On a related note, you don't know how much it pains me to see Subject headers with bad grammar and incorrect spelling. It's people who don't 'care' enough about their posting which gets to me the most.

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

3) Jacky - option select! Seriously, he has ticks that are powerful and has a decent throw game and a lot of ways to mix up levels.

Jerky doesn't really have option select in VF4... option select is mostly gone since 3. Also ticks means unescapable hit-throw sequences.. in SF it applies to throws after blocked moves usually, but in VF4 it would be like low punch MC - throw. There really aren't many/any unavoidable ones in the game.

17. Shadowdean

Do I make the claim ANYWHERE that I am an extreamly seasoned player? Hell, do I have the time to be? If I did, where in the hell would my competition be? I wonder if your aware of the Unlike most of the people I've played at the gathering, that would be my soul bursts of larger scale competition ever since, hmmm, 97 or so. I am not just making these statements based purely on my observations, but also other statements people have said about this game and its play, all of whom own the game and/or play it exstensivly.

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

My point wasn't put across as well as Zero's, but it's in the same ballpark.

Why base your choice on what someone else says? If you're really at intermediate level, you'd know who appeals to you and who doesn't.
    You might as well pick the guy who looks coolest, for all the value of the thirty (completely different) responses you just got.

19. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: Who is a good character for intermidiate playe

i don't know what your first language is, but if you had to see the most childish and pathetic attempts at grammar in your native language - including invented words (examples in english from josh: "temulous" and "camering") where the offender INSISTS that they are real words and tells you to look them up in the dictionary after you told him to do the same - constantly and with total ignorance (and from a college educated individual, no less), would you be so kind to that person?

young children and scores of people who have even just begun to use english as a second language have a better grasp of english than he does. it's disgusting and disgraceful.

20. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

Try Aoi.