1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the easiest character to play/win with?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ETPharaoh, Dec 15, 2001.

1. ETPharaoh

ETPharaoh Well-Known Member

Just thought I would see how everyone's opinions weighed in on this one.. Albeit there are many facets to this question.. However, I think generalized statements will suffice.

Sam

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Lau. Lau's very basic and one of the top 5 characters (how far up the top five it's too early to say).

Lau has all the VF staples except a knee-type move. He's got an elbow, a sidekick, a sweep, etc.

None of his moves require dexterity or perfect controls, and his combos are very no-brainer. If you knock the opponent into the air, P,P,P,d+K is one of your most damaging options and takes no joystick skill. If you use the b,d+P+G throw you can do b,f+P, P,P,P,d+K as a simple and very damaging combo. Or you can throw the opponent with d/f, d/f+P+G, and do a ton of damage. What all this boils down to is that he has strong throws and impossible-to-screw-up float combos. He also has a good low attack (f,d+K) which gives you a combo if it interrupts. I bet you can guess which combo: P,P,P,d+K.
    b,b+P will also lead to a guaranteed combo if you quickly enter b,b+P, d+P,P,P,d+K.
    You get the idea.

------------
    Other than Lau:
    People will tell you he's tough to learn, but these are people who are in awe of someone with good dexterity. IF you have no trouble pulling off difficult motions on a joystick, akira has many no brainer attacks and throws as well. D, f+P+K gives you a guaranteed combo every time it hits, and the move by itself is fairly safe if blocked and does good damage. It also can't be reversed by anyone. f,f,f+P is a fast and equally safe midlevel attack that again gives a free combo, but only if it interrupts your opponent's attack. Then there's d/f+P+K, which works about the same but is slower and hits low. As for strong throws, akira has a few, but most akira players use d/f+P+G, then d/f+P as a followup. It's good damage for such an easy throw.

I think if you're playing for the first time and want to get a good feel for VF basics like float combos, throws, stumble throw combinations, elbow staggers, etc. - pick lau.

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yes, pick Lau. I haven't seen much of him since VF2 days... but that's just where I've been playing I guess.

IMO, Jacky is the easiest. Jacky can mix up levels a little more effectively than Lau and can now play a simple crouch dash in guessing game with the df,df+P+G throw and the DF+P uppercut. He does need a little more joystick dexterity than Lau, but still no where near as intensive as Akira. I agree with Creed though, once you master the command inputs for Akira's DLC and maybe learn to modify moves with buffered crouch dashes, his tactics end up being very simple in the end. But Akira players can aspire to greater things with some imagination... knowing when/how to use reversals for example, and getting the knee and SPoD into your arsenal make the upside for Akira steeper and longer than most other characters.

4. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Lei, Jacky, Pai, Lau, Wolf. In that order
    Don't bother with Akira until you have a firm commitment to virtua fighter.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Pai isn't a complex character, but I think he wants to win :)

6. UnCauzi

UnCauzi Well-Known Member

Lau is the easiest, to play and win with. Maybe because I'm a Lei Fei player I find Lei Fei beginners to suck incredible goat nads but despite being a Lau player, Lau beginners can still be a pain in the ass due to "ooh he's in there air" p,p,p,d+k combos. Hell they can do the high kick and connect sometimes.

7. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

As above, Lau is VERY easy to learn, although he does require a little timing (most of his floaters need to interrupt an opponent's move to give you that magical PPPd+K). Jacky can be played easily as well, just mixing up levels and going for throws or kickflips once in a while. If you find you like constant offense, try button mashing with Lei; if you like doing floats all the time, try picking up Sarah.

8. Sarah Rules

Sarah Rules Member

The Easiest is Sarah thats if u know how to use her. Her moves are easy as

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

""""The Easiest is Sarah thats if u know how to use her. Her moves are easy as"""""""""

I'm not gonna bother explaining why u're so wrong~

10. Sarah Rules

Sarah Rules Member

just becase u dont know how to use her?
    and y am i wrong?

11. Sarah Rules

Sarah Rules Member

y?
    i know how to use her bet u dont

12. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

I use Lau alot... But must say that Sarah is the easiest to play and easiest to win. Her f+P,K (elbow,knee) is good, P+G damage looks decent. Also the fastest character in VF4. Speed is one key element to priority...

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Check out the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4_chara_chart.html>Character Attributes Guide</a> for my thoughts/overview.

14. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

If you're simply playing Sarah for elbow-knee and fast punches, you'd do even better with Jacky, who has the beatknuckle, better throws, and can whip out a backfist as cover (whereas Sarah's elbow-chop is harder to use).