1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Who plays Phantasy Star Online?

Discussion in 'General' started by nxw0016, Feb 14, 2001.

1. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

Here I am again, the lonely VF'er in New Jersey who can not find a VF buddy.
    Now Sega allows every Dreamcaster from all over the world to play together in the game Phantasy Star Online, I
    wonder if there is any member on the board who plays this game as well? If so, maybe we can team up together someday!

Since I can't find a VF buddy, at least I hope I can find a PSO buddy.

So far I have two characters:
    SECSTASY at level 24 and King at level 6.

2. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    I hope this pic answers your question!

[​IMG]

I'm the robotic stud standing in the center of this pic. /images/icons/wink.gif

I'm usually online during the weekend late night -- mainly around midnight EST. Hope to see you online then.

Kruza... Mercenary for Hire<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Kruza on 2/14/01 04:54 PM.</FONT></P>

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be back at down under tomolo.
    So immediately, I'll be looking at the prospect of going online and such.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be starting a new character from scratch.
    So give me a week or so, then I'll look for you guys.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'

4. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hey does anyone know if PSO goes through your server to the american PSO server (my copy is american) or does it directly dial an american server (don't wanna have to pay long distance rates).

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I think the US actually uses a US server on the web, that is accessed from whatever netserver you are on (basically, it uses your dialup connection). The US itself is too huge to use private networks.

However, if you are asking if there are multiple servers (accessed on the web, not independantly) and if your copy of PSO just looks around for the most convenient server that's closest to you, I'm not sure. Marketing would probably hate it, but it would be nice if that is the case. Otherwise it really would suck if you had to bounce around a bit, but I don't think that's the case. The game was designed to be played from whereever with people from all over, so it probably does look for the closest server it can access via the web.

I sort of wish I had the game, but I don't have a decent dialup internet option in this small college town. I'll have to use Broadband to play PSO decently (which is a hassle in itself supposedly).

-Chanchai

6. nxw0016

The amazing part of PSO network play is how little, almost none, the lag is. Chanchai I don't think you need BBA to play decent PSO game. I am playing with my friends in Asia (I am in NJ), and the game play just flows smoothly. So far I have teamed up with people from Japan, Taiwan, US (of course), and even Italy!
    PSO United Nation. LOL!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by nxw0016 on 2/15/01 11:01 AM.</FONT></P>

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Japanese
    All my best gamming buddies have been influenced by the Jap gamming culture one way or the other...

Korean gamers...nasty
    nice people though

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

8. Chanchai

Hehehe, I meant I HAVE TO USE Broadband out of lack of options. Not to prevent lag.

The only dialup internet service I have in my area is the campus-account which is well... busy 24/7 except Thanksgiving and Christmas. In addition to that, it literally is like using a 300 baud modem.

My normal internet connection is a DSL connection while the service carrier doesn't even have a dialup number in my area code. At the same time, the same goes for any other service I would use otherwise. Sega Net is the same case, no dialup number in my area code. It's one of those cases. I'm not worried about lag/images/icons/smile.gif

Otherwise I would have been challenging Kruza to NBA2k1 for a long time.

-Chanchai

9. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Finally played online last night,we should really organise a VF.com group ASAP,only problem would be the time difference.

10. nxw0016

Congratulations Doomboy! Do you end up paying for long-distance dial-up? Hope not. As I know you only have to dial your local ISP's number and it is on!

I agree with you that we should make a VF.com group, how exciting it would be. In general, Virtua Fighter players are more mature -- yeah, in order to appreciate the depth of VF you have to be , with mature players we can have much more fun. Unlike last night I met a kid (well, he said he was 15 years old but behaved like 5) who kept asking "Can I get a weapon for free?" EVERY MINUTE, even in the battle. Just made me want to kick him out. I kept in the team only because the other two players were pretty nice.

If we are going to have a VF group, I will be the first to join:
    Character1
    name: SECSTASY; Hunter, Newman.
    Character2
    name: King; Force, Newman.

I am usually on US ship 11-9. If block 9 is full, I go to block 10, and so on.

11. nxw0016

Chanchai you sound like you are in the middle of no where! Come and move to New Jersey here, LOL!
    Then I hope you will get a BBA soon, or whatever the way you can figure out to get your DC online. This game is too good to pass, especially its online play.

12. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

I just dial my local ISP,so I REALLY hope I can't be charged long distance if It's my ISP contacting an american server instead of me directly dialing into one,Anyone know?

13. Chanchai

Doomboy, don't worry, you are fine. I don't think it's going to charge you unless it asked you what the international-extension code was to America from your telephone company/images/icons/smile.gif

Nan, well, as far as the town goes, yes, it's in the middle of nowhere. I can probably play when I go up to Portland, but that's about the extent of that. I don't go to Portland that often anymore since I usually get stuck here on the weekends. I might pickup the game this weekend though and start a character up and just build the character up for whenever I do go to Portland...

-Chanchai

14. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hope you do end up getting the game,I don't really make use of ICQ so It'll be my first "live" chat with you :).

Now we just gotta figure out a way to meet without the time differences causing problems (any clues?),Oh and I gotta pick up a DC keyboard tommorow! WAY too hard to talk using the pad.We could make a game called VFDC with the password SPOD or something than NXW,you,Kruza,SummErs,and myself could hook up (well actually It's only 4 player but still).

15. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

screw pso, play q3A for dc online. fragging human
    opp is more fun than beating the cpu. pso is an
    excellent game but nothing gets me more pumped
    than putting a bullet in your face, so play q3a
    ,damm it. :)

PSYCHEDELIC VIOLENCE...CRIME OF VISUAL SHOCK

:p

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

16. nxw0016

Time Zone should not be a big issue. We can always work it out. I am playing with friends in Asia whose time is 13 hours ahead of me. I am at EST (USA Eastern Standard Time, daylight saving time applies in summer). I think weekend will be the best chance.

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

We can always use the beats to coordinate.
    Just that if I go online...I might have to start from SCRATCH LEVEL 1.

I hate being weak.
    Esp online

18. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hey

Just a Q

If I was to use my copy of PSO(original) on the one DC....go online n register it with the registration key it came with, can I use the same copy of the game, go to another DC and register with the same copy?

I know save files cannot be transfered...
    Just wondering abt the Disc itself.
    Cause my friend wants to borrow it, but I am not sure if he can go online with my disc.

19. nxw0016

I am not quite sure about whether you can use the same copy of PSO register online on two different DC.

SummErs, if you start from level one, I will use my second character, FOnewm currently level 10 to play with you. Force is a pretty interesting character to play, but it's just too weak in the beginning. He is at level 10 but his max HP is only 66. Too easy to be one-hit knocked out!

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

HEY NEED BIG BIG BIG HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to play PSO online last night.

SO in goes the new DC....set up the modem...n went online with the DC

So in goes the PSO...selected online mode...and BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!! IT SAYS MY DC IS NOT REGISTERED!!!!!!!!
    BUT I DID EVERYTHING THE SILLY MANUAL SAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SO PLZ HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Doomboy lives a few miles from me...same machine, same steps and he gets to play online...WHY NOT MEEEEEEEEEEE!

What is the proper way to register online?
    A friend spent hrs doing his two dayz ago....finally managed to get registered....
    So he pops over to my place, he did the same thing which got him registered....IT FAILED??!!!

Any help?