1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Who Should I choose?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by FuzzyBunny, Jun 20, 2003.

1. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

In a shameless bit of self promoting you could check out my post on compilation of vf4 Akira combos.Yes to play him at high level is very hard ( like I said it is for any char ) as it requires expert control and concentration but as creed said he can be played very well with just a few basic moves/combos.oH and btw loads of players DO rely on SDE ( MC) >DJK -tpye combos all the time.....if you've watched any Akira matches you would surely know this!
    And also with the advent of evo and his new [K]+[G],[P] move and evading elbow move it's easier to pick up Akira in evo than it was in vf4 ver c imo.

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on this...if you watch Minami's matches, he basically dpalmed his way to victory. LOL..I can't get the announcer yelling "byakko! byakko!" out of my mind.

Actually, Minami's Akira is a lot like elite Korean Akiras...very fast movement and great use of byakko! byakko!

3. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:

I have to agree with you on this...if you watch Minami's matches, he basically dpalmed his way to victory. LOL..I can't get the announcer yelling "byakko! byakko!" out of my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl, this is basically what would happen in a match whenever he would play. The announcer would always get excited when someone like Heruru or Chibita pulled anything off, but the only time he would ever commentate on Minami was the dblplm (and vs YonoKage in the first round where Minami used the f,f,f+p f,f+kk, and then the dblplm to win the round).

During Heruru's and Minami's last fight, on the hangar stage, the last round was won by the dblplm, and the announcer's voice screeched out loudly, lol, it was funny!

4. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Rarely will you see any of them repeatedly use the f,f,f+p combo more than twice a round, sometimes not even once.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    No way Minami won "because of the dblplm," he used f,f+p counter hit, df+p+p throw alot, f,f,f+p (counter)

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    where Minami used the f,f,f+p f,f+kk, and then the dblplm to win the round

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude dont contradict yourself. Those are all simple moves, and who won kakuto shinseiki 2 -_-;;

5. EmpNovA

I am saying he used alot more than the dblplm, but the dblplm is the only move the announcer would focus on.

6. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

errr, thats not i was talking about. Most of what Minami did were simple moves taken to an extremely high level. His basic combo was (as you said) [6][6][6][P], (crumple)[6][6][K][K]. No DLC, no SPOD, just extreme high level of basics. Now when actually talking about the topic here, Minami is point proven that you dont need all that flashy akira mumbo jumbo to win. If you work on your fundamentals long enough, you get stronger. Therefore akira is a suitable beginners character, but has a different flow chart to learn to the path to victory.

Shaolin monk once said - "I am not afraid of the 10,000 kicks you practiced, I am most frightened by the kick you practiced 10,000 times"

7. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny Member

Thank you all for you help /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gifJust to let you know I have decided. I will start with Lau then I will move to Kage then mabye I will switch to Akira. Thank you!

8. EmpNovA

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

If you work on your fundamentals long enough, you get stronger. Therefore akira is a suitable beginners character, but has a different flow chart to learn to the path to victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

No beginner could obtain a positive win ratio against decent competition playing as Akira, using only the basics (just like Minami).

I think you are wrong when you say that he uses the "basic" style of play, what he really uses is a "safe" style of play. There is little room in his flow charts to be caught up in getting thrown/countered/etc. because most of his flows are getting positioned (with [3]+[P]+[K]+[G]) and then waiting for the opportunity to counter/throw.

Playing this style of Akira (or any player) takes a tremendous amount of understanding of not only all of VF, but also about every character as well.

Of course I agree that safe play and basic moves can be better than flash, that is not always the case. Chibita uses some of the flashiest show off moves I have ever seen in VF period, and he even uses them during huge competitions.

Playing basic can be a bitch to deal with as the opponent, due to the fact that getting a good series started is nearly impossible, but you are getting beaten by basic stuff which is a bummer to brain, and adds alot to the mental game. Playing flashy adds the most to the "phase your opponent out" portion of VF, as getting wrecked by flashy moves is certainly not encouraging round after round /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Right now Minami is probably one of the best players in Japan, and probably the most unique player within recent time.

9. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

But why is Brad so hard to win with? Haven't used him much but he seems alot easier to pick up than Goh. The only difficult thing I can see is mastering his sways because they are unique in the game and knowing when and how to apply them could take alot of time.

10. EmpNovA

Brad is alot easier to play with than Goh is most people's minds. Goh is 'easy' to play as, because he has very little "high difficulty" button combinations to deal with. While Goh's game might play a little differently than VF in the past, his input commands (as a sort of compromise) are relatively easy.

One reason that Brad is hard to win with, is that he a new character so there are still alot of holes in the combo section that need to be filled for him, alot. Even though I play very very little Brad, you need to have a perfect mix of high/mid/low/sweeps/throws/etc. in order to have consistent wins.

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Dude, even I can etch out wins with Akira using ONLY shrm, elbows, back check, yoho, and the OCCASIONAL double palm. Hell if I am able to SPOD or DLC, or even AS3 (I know how to do all of them...just have not engrained those motions into my hands), and it is very, very possible. There is no such thing as elbow spamming, just being too lazy to know how to deal with a linear opponent...Oh yeah, forgot his low back fist of doom.

12. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

The reality of VF is that, eventually, every move set becomes distilled to its bare minimum; which moves give you advantage, which moves can capitalize on that advantage and which moves should you consider when disadvantaged or in a neutral situation (I'm considering TE option select as a move in this case).

If Akira only had From Crouch moves I would say he would be ill-suited to a beginner but the only thing he is lacking is a full circular move to nail dodgers in each direction. Boiled down, Akira is a simple character who has many technical challenges that the user can choose to make use of or disregard.

You don't need to know how to SPoD, you don't need to DLC to win. To win you need to learn the fundamentals of VF and the intelligence to apply those fundamentals to the character you want to play.

GE
    <font color="green"> imo</font>

13. Anton

Anton Well-Known Member

I still think Akira is Hard for beginners,(unless they are really bored to sit in the training section for the first month and then get beaten by a 10th kyu).But still, you dont have to do the famous SPoD move to achieve an easy victory. While playing through Evo i have discovered that Akira is not that powerfull in Evolution than he was in VF4?is it true?

14. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I still think Akira is Hard for beginners

[/ QUOTE ]

All I would want to know is why.

GE

15. imf

imf Well-Known Member

VF is hard for beginners.

16. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Anton said:

I still think Akira is Hard for beginners,(unless they are really bored to sit in the training section for the first month and then get beaten by a 10th kyu).But still, you dont have to do the famous SPoD move to achieve an easy victory. While playing through Evo i have discovered that Akira is not that powerfull in Evolution than he was in VF4?is it true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actcually akira is more powerful in Evo than Version C since he more versatile than before even though his moves are slightly less damaging. I think most akira players I know including myself don't think the change in his damage meter is a big deal in Evo but i can't speak for the other akira players that I don't know.

I like the fact that his shoulder ram doesn't float the opponent complete if not done correctly timing wise.

In DLC akira can dodge or complete it with the B/C.

The mid punch and than step back move, very karatesh.

More or less he is less rigid in moves and movement wise. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I'm guessing most beginners would consider Akira as a hard to use character simply because many of his moves requires maybe one or two more inputs to execute. He also lacks [P][P][P] strings, knockdown low attacks, and full crescent moves. It seems to me that at the beginning level play, those are the moves that are used the most. So most of the less experienced players would consider those attributes as a handicap for beginners. He is by no way too hard to use if you are not looking to play him at a high level. You just need to know what moves to use. Akira's DE is fairly easy to execute, and his throw game is also fairly damaging. If you can stay away from relying on [P][P][P] type of attacks and relying on low attack to break down defense, akira is a good choice even if you are a beginner. You can unleash a flurry of attacks just as well as let say, Lau or Jacky, just in a different way. If you don't believe me, just play against someone who plays the game casually and simply mash [6][6] and [P] over and over and see what happens... /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

At higher levels of play, SPoD is an important thing to learn IMO, because it's a great anti-throw move. Only one input is required for the first hit, so the combo can be started instantly. This can be crucial when someone's rushing you down.....

Most of the time though, you can win with just a few simple, uncounterable moves: [P], [2][P], DE/SDE, [3][P]+[K], [3][K], and [4][6][P]+[K] is all Akira really needs. If you can convince the opponent not to dodge, the only throw you need to use is [1][6][P]+[G].

19. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Yeah...your post actually touches on a great "feature" of vf - is that a really solid understanding of the fundimentals of the game and you can at least play almost every character with some modicum of effictiveness.

20. Anton

Anton Well-Known Member

OK, i get the point.By the way, how do you do the SPoD move cos it sounds hard?(My dad wants to know cos he cant find it in the training section).Is it something like [3][3][6][P][P][K][P][G][P][G][6][6][P][P]?Just joking /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif