1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Who's the best...

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am relatively new to the Virtual Fighter scene and I am currently trying to improve my fighting prowess with Shun. My question for you is who in your opinion is the strongest Shun player in the world.

P.S. Your site kicks ass

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if anyone could ever say who's the best in the world or even in a region.

I can tell you a really good Shun player imho is Nelson from New York. He is also an excellent overall player imo (I like his Lau and Akira). The "Virtua SF" battle has him in there and you should download that and watch it.

Also, no offense intended or anything, just an advice... I don't think it's a good idea to ask questions like who's the best and what not. A more appropriate question might be something like "can anyone tell me a good example of a Shun player?" or something like that. Even then, you might not get an answer, but at least you are very unlikely to get one of the two typical responses:

a) "I'm the best!!!" or something stupid like that (unlikely to be found here in any seriousness, but I know of other forums that will be flooded with it-- usually Tekken, Soul Calibur, or vs. series games related)

b) A scary flame that might scare you from this otherwise peaceful (but occasionally bickering) community.

In any case, you have the interest in VF and I strongly appreciate it so I'm hoping this message spares you from an irritating VF community experience (it's happened...).

Good luck with your quest on mastering Shun. There's lots of info around somewhere. It shouldn't be too hard to find the information you need. Putting it together may be a different story... In any case, find yourself a comfortable spot in the network of online Virtua Fighter players (don't try too hard, not necessary to "impress" everyone, just be yourself) and perhaps the opportunity will arise for you to learn more by word of mouth as well as research (I know, it's a scary word). I wish you the best.

-Chanchai

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chanchai on 9/7/00 08:26 PM.</FONT></P>

3. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Copying Chanchai's favorite phrases, this is just my personal opinion and comes from what I have seen *grin*

The term "best" is somewhat vague and misleading, especially in VF. Since I don't think I can define "best", I go with "strong" as who's tough to beat.

As far as I have seen/played (again), Nelson is the toughest Shun to beat in the U.S.

In Japan, Shu is probably the strongest with his yomi and mental toughness. Shu actually wins quite a few tournament with Shun, a feat in these days where players will do anything to win the matches.

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

mike skupa is (was) the best shun i've seen.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

In Japan, Shu is probably the strongest with his yomi and mental toughness. Shu actually wins quite a few tournament with Shun, a feat in these days where players will do anything to win the matches

now Shota, you can't bold up a word like that and
    not qualify it. What does "anything" mean? Jiggle
    the opponent's joystick, kick them in shin during
    a crucial moment, eat a lot of beans before the
    tournament? Give. What have you seen?

By the way...toss up between nelson and my own
    clan member, Jo. I'm pretty much without colour
    here. I remember Nelson's Shun as being the
    biggest pain in the ass. Strong offense,
    excellent defense, good staple combos, excellent
    sense of play. But then there's Jo. And I'll
    tell you he's on a different plane altogether.

At the end I won't call for best. They're both
    capable and I've never seen Mike Skupa's Shun but
    I trust Rich's opinion. whattayagonnado?

GE

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by GodEater on 9/8/00 11:09 AM.</FONT></P>

6. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

In Japan, Shu is probably the strongest with his yomi and mental toughness....

???? Is there anything wrong calling Shu the strongest I've seen in Japan?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I thank you all for your input. I also would like to apologize for using the term"best" I am a Newbie I no not what I do

8. Guest

Guest Guest

no shota, GE just wants to know what you mean by "anything", as in the people over there will do anything to win.

9. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    I would have to go with my boy Nelson on this one. Definitely the strongest Shun player in US (i havent played JO's shun). I have played Mike Skupa's shun and while it is pretty good, Nelson easily comes out on top - just cause of his strict dedication to the character for the last few years (and hence the experience gathered). His drink management and time management - things you need to know to play successfully with Shun - are near flawless.

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

10. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

All I can say is that Kinam's Shun (from Denmark) had everybody at the London showdown gawking at his mad skillz. There not being very many VF players in europe, I think it's safe to say he was the best Shun, atleast over here...

He literally made Shun seem overpowered *shudder*.

- Jan

11. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

definately, that was all I was asking. Sorry If I
    wasn't clear, Shota. you just piqued my curiosity
    with that statement.

GE

12. ghetto-SHUN

ghetto-SHUN Well-Known Member