1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Who's you best character?

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by Slayer, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

I think it's silly to say Bruce Lee or Tyson would "definitely" win, as there are so many factors to take into account, was Tyson good at Grappling? Could Bruce Lee dodge or take tyson's punches? , could tyson take a 1 inch punch to face? /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif etc etc,

They were both legendary fighters in there own field best to leave it at that.

2. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Very true Optimus.

However I think it's safe to say that Hulk Hogan could definitely kill both Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson. Bruce Lee is way too small to compete with a man of Hogan's strength. Hogan could obviously just soak up the punches and then land his trademark (and deadly) haymaker, irish whip, big boot, immortal leg drop flowchart for the finish.

As for Tyson, just check out Rocky III. Hogan owns boxing plain and simple. Tyson wouldn't be able to use kicks because he's a boxer and the gloves would make it way too hard for him to EDTEG etc so Hogan would just toss him like a rag-doll.

3. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    _optimus_ said:

I think it's silly to say Bruce Lee or Tyson would "definitely" win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but this is fantasy fighting on the net, therefore I put my money on Bruce Lee. Mr Lee will just unleashed a Super-Mega-Secret-Ultimate-One-Centimeter-Finger-Poke into Tysons meathead 'bang'! Tyson goes mad and start rapping... yeah! /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

It's definitely not silly to say that Tyson would whoop Bruce Lee. It is a fact. What kind of moron says that boxing isn't a martial art?

Now Hogan on the other hand, he could definitely kill Bruce Lee, but it would be interesting to see if he could beat Tyson.

5. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

I always thought the name "Martial Art" comes from the Asian form of fighting like Kung Fu, Karate, Thai kick boxing, Tae Kwon Do, etc. Boxing is considered to be a sport and an art by itself and not class in the same category as Martial Art.

6. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Martial is derived from military.

Any system of combat can be described as a martial art.

7. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Oh dear god!

My brain is still hurting from reading about this fantasy battle between Tyson and Bruce. Oh the pain, the inner agony!

Credit to Elite, though. He's the only one to see the funny side of this thread. What!

[ QUOTE ]
    _optimus_ said:
    They were both legendary fighters in there own field best to leave it at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said optimus.

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

How is elite the only one to see humour in this thread?

Sliced clearly made mention to Joe Son Do.

Joe Son played Random Task in the first Austin Powers film, and was famously repeatedly groin punched by Keith Hackney in UFC4.

9. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:

I'm guessing that Judo would only be effective if you were good at it. If someone was to watch Goh, pick-up a few ideas and try and put them into practice, are they going to have an advantage over the common man, or will they just hurt themselves and look a fool?

[/ QUOTE ]

In barfights, judo is very effective, especially since your opponent is the one that needs the room (which isn't there), not you. Goh's style though: is that current Japanese Judo, for it looks more like Jiu Jitsu to me. Those kicks and punches sure aren't allowed in European Judo...

10. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Pinokkio said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:

In barfights, judo is very effective, especially since your opponent is the one that needs the room (which isn't there), not you. Goh's style though: is that current Japanese Judo, for it looks more like Jiu Jitsu to me. Those kicks and punches sure aren't allowed in European Judo...

[/ QUOTE ]

He uses kicks and punches because if he used only judo he would be a pretty shitty character

11. i cannot believe you guys think bruce lee would easily lose to hogan or mike tyson .... i don't think any of you guys have seen that many bruce lee movies ...... cause if you know bruce lee you would know how fast and strong he is ... he can do 2 finger push ups, 1 inch punch sent this man flying for about 2 feet, this was all on tape so yea , uhhm and also most of his fight scenes are slowed down so that the audience can enjoy the film.. oh and i saw this on a documentary about him on AMC but anyway my best fighter are Brad Burns and Lei-fei

Brad:
    record:330 wins / 46 losses
    win ratio:87.8%

Lei-fei
    record: 283 wins / 36 losses
    win ratio: 88.7%
    rank 7th dan
    and yes my records aren't that great so what? at least i'm having fun with the game well... most of the time..sometimes it pisses me off so much that it almost wanna make me break my controller so yea
    oh and most of the fights are against the CPU so yea the only person ive played against is my cousin but it was only like 11 matches but yea i know i suck......any tips?

12. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pinokkio said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
    He uses kicks and punches because if he used only judo he would be a pretty shitty character

[/ QUOTE ]
    Then why not list his style as jiu jitsu? That's what he's practicing as far as I can tell (I've trained in both IRL).

13. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Because they started him from Judo and added a few strikes here and there. Hell I dont know, ask Sega

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

It's a videogame - fuck. And they list it as judo simply because most of his throws are "judo", and especially his tsukami stance (judo clinch).

Yeah raphael, because demonstrations against non-resisting opponents and movie choreography directly correlate to actual fighting ability. Please, it's the equivalent to saying Vin Diesel would beat Mario Andretti in a race.

And umm, any tips? Don't play brad. I personally think he's the hardest character in the game to "get", since he requires so much improvisation.

And, don't play lei-fei until you've learned the game a little better. Although with brad, you'll probably lose a lot, eventually balance out, and come to a point where you suck - with lei-fei you'll just come to a point where you stop understanding the game because the computer is blocking all your attacks.

ie: play lion, jeff, wolf.

15. [ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

It's a videogame - fuck. And they list it as judo simply because most of his throws are "judo", and especially his tsukami stance (judo clinch).

Yeah raphael, because demonstrations against non-resisting opponents and movie choreography directly correlate to actual fighting ability. Please, it's the equivalent to saying Vin Diesel would beat Mario Andretti in a race.

And umm, any tips? Don't play brad. I personally think he's the hardest character in the game to "get", since he requires so much improvisation.

And, don't play lei-fei until you've learned the game a little better. Although with brad, you'll probably lose a lot, eventually balance out, and come to a point where you suck - with lei-fei you'll just come to a point where you stop understanding the game because the computer is blocking all your attacks.

ie: play lion, jeff, wolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what.. i just found out that i lacked defense.. i mean i was focusing too much on offense with brad and lei-fei.. but now i laerned how to evade effectively and its paid off ... i don't have trouble with 8th to 10th dans that much anymore.. and uhh in my opnion BRad is one of the best Characters if you know how to use him. he is actually pretty easy to use his conrtols are really easy his combos are pretty simple but very powerful he really suits me.. but yea
    about the bruce lee thing ... uhhm some of the stuff i was talking about was recorded in tape when he was participating in this wolrd tournament marital arts thingy that is where he did that punch from an inch away that sent the opponent 2 feet back .. andu hh the 2finger push ups , and uhh about me saying that they had to slow down the fight scenes in some of his movies my point was that he is FAST so yea its not like im comparing that to actual fighting

16. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You _are_ of course aware that judo came from jiu jitsu (just another style if you may), and that the tsukami and the throws are just as much a part of jiu jitsu as they are of judo. If the kicks are not a part of Japanese judo (anymore), then I think they should rename his style to jiu jitsu. Of course it is a game, but if they go through so much trouble to use proper martial arts styles i.s.o. flashy fireballs etc., then they can also use the proper martial arts names. It's not _that_ much work... heck, give me the program, and I'll change it for them. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Most people would argue that Jiu-Jitsu is closer to real Judo than what sport Judo is now. So... it really doesn't make a difference.

And again, it's a fucking videogame. Do you honestly believe that half the moves in the game are real attacks - jeez.

18. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:
    And again, it's a fucking videogame. Do you honestly believe that half the moves in the game are real attacks - jeez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, you appear to be more serious about this 'game' than I am to be honest. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif With regards to your question: I can't speak for the other martial arts, but there's not a move in Goh's list that I don't remember having performed myself at one point or another. Perhaps having trained both judo and jiu jitsu I'm a bit sensitive about this issue. You're a purist when it comes to using the correct arcade button setup; I'm a purist when it comes to martial arts.

19. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

I'm a purist when it comes to not mapping single buttons to multiple commands. Anyways lmao, I just read your sig - awesome.

20. DarkerDragon

DarkerDragon New Member

My best character is definitely Kage (DarkDragon)
    Win Ratio 100%
    6th dan
    Win(s)Loss(es) 354/0