1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Who's you best character?

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by Slayer, Aug 24, 2002.

1. romeo_longsword

romeo_longsword Active Member

And to end that, I like to answer the question on the topic:

My fav character os Goh, but not best, I find other character easier to use and usually more sucessful with them.

But I am sticking with Goh because I simpily enjoy his image, beside that, I love judo.

Some say that judo does not work in a real fight, but here in London, I see real fight every friady night in the bar and on the street, I usually see the guys are on the floor, either one laying down being kicked, or two guys rolling on the floor trying to get the strikes in.

I thought either Goh and Wolf could really do some damage in thouse typic situation.

But if I have to pick a character that would really win in a real fight, I would say Wolf.

But Goh looks so much better.

2. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Ahahaha, judo doesn't work in a street fight, is that some sort of sick joke? Judo is one of the VERY few that actually does, and translates infinintely well on the street.

3. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Judo would only be effective if you were good at it. If someone was to watch Goh, pick-up a few ideas and try and put them into practice, are they going to have an advantage over the common man, or will they just hurt themselves and look a fool?
    Also, I am thinking that any type of fighting, if practiced long enough would be effective for 'everyday use', or are you talking more about one style against another?
    Just curious, because I am looking into learning a style, though the only place around here that I know of is Tae Kwon Do (think that's how you spell it?), so does anyone have any advice on whether this is worth bothering with, or should I look elsewhere?

4. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Most TKD schools are what we like to call "Bullshido". Visit the dojo, either watch a class, or see if you can get a free one.

In all honesty, most TKD schools are considered "Mcdojos". Even if there is a lot of alive training (sparring against fully resisting opponents), odds are there's going to be an unnecessary emphasis on forms... and just other useless stuff.

5. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Most TKD schools are what we like to call "Bullshido". Visit the dojo, either watch a class, or see if you can get a free one.

In all honesty, most TKD schools are considered "Mcdojos". Even if there is a lot of alive training (sparring against fully resisting opponents), odds are there's going to be an unnecessary emphasis on forms... and just other useless stuff.

So, your best bet is finding a gym that crosstrains brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay thai, and if you can't, a straight BJJ gym should be fine. Then... a straight MT gym.

But, if you can't find any of that, try to find someone that teaches judo.

And then, if no judo, look for a boxing gym.

The reason why these arts are so good, is that they focus 100% on alive training, and 100% against fully resisting opponents.

BJJ is pretty much considered the supreme "single art". While all of the best fighters do cross-train... if you have to choose one, go for BJJ.

BUT, most importantly, shop around. Just because someone is claiming to teach BJJ, doesn't mean they're not full of shit. So, visit as many gyms as you can, and see what you like the best.

But... for all practicality... BJJ is the best... hands down.

6. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

Actually, if you're talking about "all the best fighters" in reference to K1 or UFC, you're in error. Think about it. If someone dedicates their life to martial arts (like the current Shaolin Grandmaster), then they generally lose the need to compete. That doesn't mean they can't whip ass on 99% of other fighters, it just means that they don't have to.

Besides that, BJJ and other grappling arts work well for UFC type things because they're strongly leaned towards shoot-fighting. Going in low for grapples is easy when there's rules against separating the head from the spine. I'm not saying that they aren't valuable (I'm starting up Judo myself in the fall semester), just that no single style or even combination of styles is 'the best'. The power to achieve victory ultimately lies in your own two fists.

7. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Shadowdean said:

Ok, lets not talk about UFc...lets talk about Vale TUdo as it used to be done in brazil...and still is to a certain extent. Just about the only rules where no direct stricks to the throat, eyes, and fish hooking. Groin shots, elbows to the neck, all that shit was legal. People still were not getting killed left and right.

To a certain extent, fighters, not styles are the determining factor, but lets look at what some of the vale tudo and UFC/PRIDE matches have shown us. Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock defeated some of the top people from all styles. The fact is that most karate/Taekwond/TMA (traditional martial arts) train under very specific conditions. Even Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - the sport variation, is subject to this. The difference is with grappling arts is that you can train almost full power all the time, developing the sensitivety, power, technique, sensitivity, and experince needed to apply their arts in a street fighting situation.

May I ask how many of you have competed in a mma match (I have), or been in a street fight (I've been in plenty...gotten my ass whupped and whupped ass). The very fact is, if your gunna be a martial artists by martial standards, you need to train in all ranges and techniques, from kicking range to ground fighting. If your not, your simply not prepaired.

Offbrandninja - yes, the power to win does come from your own two fists, but it can only be applied if those fists are properly trained. I trained for years at a Taekwondo studio and while it made me a VERY strong kicker, it certainly did not make me a complete fighter.

In terms of VF - vanessa and Jeffry are the only characters whose styles allow for them to train in all areas, striking, grappling, and submissions.
    There are plenty of McDojo's...and believe me, in another 5 years, BJJ is gunna be the next McDojo art because it is becomming so popular. The average time for someone to get a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is about 10 years, but now that the art has been in the states for about 15, we will see more and more people practicing and teaching - even if they have no idea what they are doing.

Now, is fighting all people do martial arts for? No. THere are plenty of people who study martial arts simply for the mental and physical benefits and have no intention of stepping into a ring. THere are people who spend their entire lives studying forms. Are they bad martial artists? No. Are they good fighters - well, they probally could beat up your average street idiot.

8. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Yeah but what about Pro Wresting? While it's not entirely real the wrestlers are still in awesome shape and can deal some huge damage. I don't know what styles teach the perfect tech roll but unless they can do that then the giant swing and KS would probably be the end of most BJJ fighters. In real life, a guy as big as a wrestler would probably have a bigger health bar anyway so it'd be harder to beat him.

Stone Cold Steve Austin has a huge health bar because I saw one match where he took a beating for ages but still landed his hit-throw for the finish.

9. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Yeah, and Austin also has about 100 Drink Points from drinking all that beer! What!

10. romeo_longsword

Well, vanity, I know you are laughing at me, and thats fine.

But if you were to ask to explain myself about why i thought Judo could help in situation in a street fight, is because when in a bar fight, from what I have seen, people dont go face to face, moving around and wait for somebody to say, "ready, fight!"

My point is, the fights I have seen in bars and streets, are no boxing match.

Usually before the fight, I see people looking at each other, mouthing down at each other to test if they are actually going to be a fight, and I have never seen anyone has been able to deflect, or doge the first blow from whoever strike first. Sometimes a fight would just end that very moment if you know what I mean.

Unless there are some kids just playing pushing and punching around, which usually result in one of thouse really rubbish situation: they punch each other a few times, kick each other around on the ground, and after a while, when they get tired, they walk off, its more of a pride thing they desire from each other, they dont actaully want to fight.

But when there is a fight were the agression is strong and at least one of the fighters actaully want to do some damage, one of thouse would simpily ended up on the floor, or both of them. With situation like this I am quite sure the teaching of Judo would help even though its only a sport.

On the subject of which MA is a good one to learn, its dependent on what you seek, if you want something quick, which you could pick up and be able to fight in three years, you could go to learn TKD, Kick Boxing and so on.

Even when in comes to Chinese KF, there are so many different doors, there are ones which is what they called, the "external", and "internal".

And when it comes to "internal" there are also deepen futher, there are "Chi Kung" or other ones which is simplily based on your detailed movements, combaining with the explosive tension from your musles, which is somthing Bruce Lee was highly trained at.

On the other hand, if you want to learn about combat such as Tai Chi Kuen, or just Tai Chi, where you are training yourself to understand body weight and force, thouse takes a lifetime to learn, and one of the master say, at least 10 years of training would make you "presentable", which does not even suggest that would be good.

But I suppose when you have done it for 10 years, you would be so chill and healthy, you would not desre to fight.

My brother who is living in Hong Kong, has been praticing a form of KF what is very deadly, its based on how to produce force with your movement. The master is the HK verson of SAS unarmed combat instructor, who is also a judge in the international KF A in Holland.

It is highly agressive, and the training really inspire me to believe the amout of power a human beging could produce is huge, but most people lsoe all their forces through their shoulders as they tense them, lose the force on the back, as their are usually not stright, and on the hip as they dont stand correctly.

But now, my bro has been fully into Tai Chi, because he say is a very deep form of art that help his body and soul.

Anyway thanks for listerning or reading!

11. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Offbrandninja - No, sorry. Martial arts grandmasters who have "nothing to prove", are full of ****. At least 10th degree blackbelt Ron van Clief had the nuts to step into the octagon in UFC 4, and got his ass handed to him with honor. No "grandmaster" could potentially compete in the ring with any of today's fighters.

And, with your final point, I have to disagree. While we see different base styles still, all of the fighters still do a large amount of training in BJJ, if to avoid submissions only. (But no, you seem to understand this, so yeah, whatever).

kungfusmurf - Damn - nice! Although, I'll take any kid who fights on the street over some TKD guy who practices forms any day.

Elite - Most pro wrestlers are trained in a style called "Catch Wrestling", and from this catch wrestling, they learn to add entertainment value to it. It's not considered the most effective fighting style, but it's undoubtable that most WWE guys could compete in the UFC and Pride.

Romeo Longsword - Ugh... internal/traditional martial arts make me sad. I'm not really going to comment on this Tai Chi fighting style, but let's just say I don't approve of it /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

As for Judo's application on the street in a bar, it comes into play as soon as you clinch with the other person. Think of it as simple as grabbing someone's shirt, which is more than likely to happen if tensions are beginning to escalate, but the actual fight hasn't started yet. And, even if the fight has escalated to the point of fists flying, it's not that difficult to clinch in.

12. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    stfu n00b, the Big Show is 7ft, 500lbs nobody could own him. And like StoneColdSerb said, Stone Cold Steve Austin has 40dps permanently and you've seen how strong Shun is when he has that. The stunner is like 175 damage points. What are your UFC pussies going to do about that? Nothing.

They don't even have good entrance musics anyway.

13. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Grandmasters have nothing to prove. they already proved it before that's how they became grand masters. saying that they should have to continually defend themselves and their title is pretty rude

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

No.. they became "grandmasters" through either A: creating their own "style", and since they are the founders, they are therefore grandmasters - see soke calkins, or B: through forms and other non-combat bs.

Grandmaster soke calkins!

http://www.goldendragondojo.com/renshibio.html

15. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

If anybody really wants to discuss this, find me on irc.

16. romeo_longsword

vanity,

You have given no reason that support of your view, but if you want want to tell everyone what you like and dislike, thats fine, thank you. But to me, you are trying to pretend that you know what unarmed combat is, yet, you could not produce an explaination thats good enough for me to give it of any value.

Secondly, title of Grandmaster, black belt 10th Dan means very less in the training of Kung Fu, what, you think a title represents how good the person is at combat? I am sure there are many people who taken other forms of training which given no title could best plenty of blackbetls out there. But to your view, you seems to vaule such thing, this is rather, a fantasy.

I might be judging you wrongly, that I am perpared to change, let me ask you a fantasy question, tell me who would win and why if Bruce Lee VS Tyson.

17. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    let me ask you a fantasy question, tell me who would win and why if Bruce Lee VS Tyson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce Lee, China's got a better Vf scene /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Tyson would destroy Bruce Lee. (Even present day quasi-washedup Tyson.)

"To beat a martial artist that's been training for 15 years, all you need to do is box and wrestle for 1 year, and he's yours."

-Bruce Lee

Does anyone honestly believe a 130 pound man with incredibly limited grappling training (did a tiny bit with Gene Lebell) could compete in a fight with a heavyweight champ?

And romeo, there really isn't much to be said. My qualms with all these kung-fu styles is that they advertise esoteric knowledge of sorts. They contain "super deadly" and "super secret" moves, that only someone who's been training for 10 years can possibly master! I don't know about you, but that's just screaming bullshit.

Harnessing force, concentrating energy? Give me a break. There are no "secret techniques" that take years and years to master.

If you say you can fight, do it in the ring/octagon. And if your style is too deadly for it, then you're full of shit.

19. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    romeo_longsword said:

who would win and why if Bruce Lee VS Tyson.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion...

Can't be compared, one is Kung Fu and the other is Boxing, not even a Martial Art, totally different fighting style.

I've heard Bruce Lee had been challenged many times by other fighters and never lost, Tyson at his peak was a strong fighter by strength, but he had weaknesses and already been knocked out numerous of times, he is also a meathead and doesn't have the same understanding in fighting compared to Bruce Lee.

I don't know any details about Tyson's life or during his training, so I might be wrong, maybe he's a smart guy like Bruce Lee, had the same theory in art of fighting without fighting, or his true talent lies within Rapping. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a feeling this topic will go on and on....

20. Sliced

Sliced Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:
    Harnessing force, concentrating energy? Give me a break. There are no "secret techniques" that take years and years to master.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes there is! It's called Joe Son Do!