1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why are you playing VF4?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Blondie, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

If you bought VF4 when it was released, then your obviously engulfed in its deep gameplay and learning curve. What this topic was mainly started for is that I'm noticing that there are "TWO" types of VF players on here. The first are players that are only interested in the CPU aspect of the game i.e.(Kumite, Arcade, AI Training). The second being those that are playing Versus and Occasional Arcade mode. The difference between the two is this. The one that plays the CPU aspect of the game will get better at "BEATING THE CPU". And the one that is playing against human players has the ability to be as good as say...........................................the Japanese? Who knows =). When I first started playing VF I had a large amount of tekken experience playing against other opponents. When I converted to VF a lot of the VF players I noticed weren't warm at all with playing humans. While I would beat the seasoned VF players with timing, movement, and Yura, I would lose to the CPU a lot easier than say the seasoned VF players would. I am hoping that VF really takes off in the US and possibly guys that are playing will really push to put the US on the map for decent VF representation. I'm tired of the US rolling over and letting other countries i.e.(Korea, Japan, Australia, Singapore) dominate the VF scene. So I ask again, Why are you playing VF4? As a side thing thats fun and cool to see new outfits and items, and compare Wins/Losses in kumite with other players in a battle to see whose got the bigger genitalia? Or are you really looking to "GET GOOD", like what you see in the vids? This was more or less motivational if anything and welcome input on your views on this topic =). thanx.

2. Harlock

Harlock Member

My first "real" experience with the VF series was on my Saturn. I had fooled around with VF and VF2 on the Sega Saturn, but only on a casual level. When I first played VF3tb in the arcades, I thought to myself, "how could this game ever beat Tekken?" I did not understand the deep gameplay of the game, nor did I want to take the time to learn. I mistakenly saw the game as a button masher, because I couldn't get passed the pppk, ppk, kpk canned combos. Tekken 3 was my game, and I was very good at it.

After a while, Tekken 4 was released. It destroyed everything that was good about Tekken. I had no more mixups with my favorite characters because a> their move list was changed, b> they screwed up the ranges/priorities/hit locations for the sake of "game balance". I was getting beaten down by scrubby players mashing buttons. Tekken, the series I loved, had betrayed me.

Sitting in the corner of the local bowling alley was Virtua Figther 4. No one was playing it at the time, so I didn't have a fear of wasting quarters to superior players. I dumped my quarters in, and went off what I learned in my short time with VF3tb and started to play. Now, there are players (myself included) that wait till someone jumps on "their" game before they play, and that is exactly what happened here. He wasn't anything like what is in the media section, but he was good enough to wipe the floor and the walls with me. After that, I watched him play the CPU, and I was rather impressed with the play style.

I did a week long study of VF on gamefaqs.com (before I knew of VFDC) and went back next week to play again, but they removed the VF4 machine =(. It wouldn't be until the PS2 version was released that I would pick it up again. That is when I found VFDC. In the past few weeks, I have become to understand that VF is definatly a fighter's fighting game. A true "thinking" fighting game. For a competitive person, such as myself, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

I want to learn a game that I, at first, passed up on faulty judgement. I want to learn and become good enough to compete with the more serious arcade goers, to feed my competitive nature.

3. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

I think the game should be available in every hs in the country. I think they should form clubs like the chess club and have big screen demos to get people interested. The VF community in NYC is very strict, like a dojo for kung-fu. Everyone helps each other explore the depths and fun strats and tactics here. Top level play in Boston, Toronto and New York is virtually ignored by Sega. The best of US and Canada could rewrite the history of VF. The clubs in Korea are amazing. Several receive full support from University. I started to play VF3 after watching CrewNY and AdamYuki play through a window of now long gone arcade, later I saw a posting at hardcoregaming.com for a contest of arcade fighters that CrewNY was organizing. As with kung-fu it is difficult to learn without tutor or sensei (until PS2 VF4 that is). I was lucky, after getting my butt kicked by a Lion player repeatedly, I began email with several of the best VF writers that enjoyed Lion and gathered the frequently asked questions into a faq. ice-9, BigCat, HIRO, Andy and many others shared their insights...often without knowing they were answering questions I would pose to BigCat, etc. The MVP players made a tape with examples of how they scientifically examined every move and cataloged every detail. The Akira Dance was born of this research. I was hooked. Now even with my banana fingers I could defeat with style most challengers at the arcade because of scientifically applied lessons in gameplay. Only VOOT has lifted me to such levels, thx to FeixaQ's web site. With practice and patient teachers this game can be like golf... a game for a lifetime. This site has excellent search engine where there is a vast pool of shared knowledge. I enjoy the combat and go to: chinatownfair.com for excellent competition here in NYC. New FAQ's have been posted for Lion, Vanessa, Wolf and Jeff in the past two weeks.

4. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i play VF4 because it is the sequel to part 3, 2, and 1...

i take my efforts to the next episode no matter how it turns out..... whoever i face, i am always training against myself.

5. NeverEnd

NeverEnd Member

I play VF4 because I'm sick of Tekken, and I haven't played a VF game since VF1 in the arcades and VF2 on the saturn.

6. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

I play it because its the best fighting game I have ever played. Also, my friend who hates fighting games is actually trying to learn it! Too bad hardly anyone plays the game in my local arcade and the joysticks on the machine suck. It's pretty sad when you are being told by someone that is worse than you how to do a down attack when you are lucky if up+punch even works on those horrid sticks. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

7. Kale

Kale Active Member

I play VF4 because I remember playing VF1 and switching over to Tekken and forgetting about VF. Also, I saw how good VF4 looked and d/led some korean VF4 matches was very impressed with how deep the gameplay is. I got the game on the first day it came out in the US and traded in 3 games to get it, I don't regret it at all.

8. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

I'm playing it because I've been a fan of the series since VF1. I used to play it with beating the CPU in mind, but since that's boring once you get the patterns down, I branched out and started reading all the strat I could get my hands on during VF2, and kinda kept up the habit ever since even though I very rarely get competition in the games. So it's more of a personal improvement/game mastery trip for me though it's kinda unsatisfying to be trying it all in isolation.

Then comes VF4. Actual competition appeared, and apparently all my years of reading and practice paid off. My Lau was administering copious beatdownage. (Which frankly, surprised me.)

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Eh, we shouldn't complain about the people who play for the costumes and flashy combos and all that. Most of the hardcore players of any given fighting game started because they liked what they were seeing on the screen, not because they decided one day "I'm gonna own everyone in this game someday."

I don't think any amount of chitchat on a message board will convert a treasure hunter into a serious player. It will either happen naturally or won't based on someone's natural competitive spirit. If two or three guys happen to be put in a position where they can play each other a lot, and at least one of them is determined to beat the others consitently, then he will become a serious player. If someone is in a position where they can only play the CPU, or if their opponents aren't interested in winning, then that player will hit a brick wall in terms of skill (or maintain only a platonic interest in the game).

10. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

I just play it cause im a huge Sega fanboy. I think I should buy a PS2 now though so I can play some VF4 at home. Too bad it couldnt have been released on a Sega system. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

11. Blondie

I'm very impressed with the responses that I've gotten. All of them are very good. Although my feelings differ from Creeds, I can see his point clearly. While it may look like I'm complaining I'm really not, the more people that play VF the better for whatever reason. I'm more or less let down when I know for a fact that there are people right now playing VF at home in some parts of the country and not being challenged. I started playing cause there was challenge for me. I wish and most definetely hope guys don't quit playing VF cause they get bored, and don't feel the drive that I was blessed to have recieved with all the FL. competition here. Don't quit playing, VF will get big. A lot of the Tekken regulars have somewhat converted. I think that it is excellent that T4 won't be out til 4th quarter. That leaves plenty of time for all the hardcore tekken players to possibly experience the pureness of VF4 and its wonderful system. I hope that in the time between VF4 release and T4 release, VF can really snag some good players and convert them. I started playing VF4 cause tekken 4 blew ass. Now I play VF4 cause I can't imagine playing tekken ever again after experiencing the ellaborate system of VF. Thanx for the responses guys. Hope to meet up with all of you in the future. =) later.

P.S.- I'm really impressed with our guys down here in Fl., they are going all out to find other VF players. Check out our thread. FL. HYDRA!! Last page =). It makes me proud to be a Florida VFer =). Also maybe give you some tips on how to find other VFers in your area. =) later guys. SPREAD THE WORD!!!

12. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I play VF4 b/c I'm HOOKED. I got hooked, b/c 1: it's such a wicked game, but 2: the VF.net system just suckered me in, with all the kewl items and whatnot. You also know when you're playing against someone good, or someone you've played before.

I've even wound up going for beers after some VFing at the game centers!

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

just because I'm bored, where did you disagree?
    /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. Blondie

heh, sorry man, I guess I didn't (LOL). I'm so tired from not getting enough sleep cause of VF being in my house =). Sometimes I get carried away and forget what the hell I'm doing. later =)

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

you see that people? pure intimidation.

=======================================================
    random content to make this post worthwhile:
    I'm losing hard disk space at an alarming rate, so to stem the flow I'm converting old, oversized, crappy mpegs to divx. Yah that includes lots of VF movies from the old and recent movies folders. I'm using divx 5, which divx.com CLAIMS is ported to the mac... but several tests show otherwise. So if you find a .avi and you're on a mac and you can't play it, let me know and I'll fix0r it.

16. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=yellow>Former Saturn owner and big time PSX and PS2 advocate with an XBox anyway weighing in...

The very first game I ever owned for my Saturn was Virtua Fighter 2. I loved the game I saw in the arcades and I was always a fan of video fight games. So with my first chance to own a console, I bought VF2 and have been a big fan ever since. The character that sparked my interest the most was Shun Di. All the fighters seemed standard faire except Shun Di. As far as characters were concerned, he was unique until a couple of years ago. I then realized that PSX had more games and I eventually had to decide between staying with a dying system or trade it in to buy into the Sony line of products. PSX was the logically best choice. I played Tekken 2 and continue to be a big fan through all it's incarnations since then. I have not decided to buy Tekken 4 yet. Perhaps Sega Dreamcast's demise was not such a bad thing. After the rage of Tekken 2's popularity, every Tekken that followed was simply better graphics. I realize now that I bought the game mostly because I wanted to compete with my friends. The challenge that VF4 gives to the video fight game enthusiast is that it is willing to go as far as the player is willing to go. VF4's challenge to Tekken et al. is that it is deeper in scope and vision than any of the fight games that have preceded it. Street Fighter was a big thing in its day but Capcom began to rape the market with all its reincarnations and really nothing new came of it other than new characters. Most of the technical advances in gameplay seemed to be coming from the Namco and Sega camps (I could be wrong... so be it). Crouch dashing, interactive environments, sloping environments, open arenas, closed arenas, decaying arenas, exploding armor, reversals, sabaki, inashi, active guard, passive guard, high throw, low throw, combination throw... I could never go back to 2D because 3D seemed too good to turn away from. In Tekken terms, I viewed myself as a nutjob/part-time turtle. My favorites were Jun, Nina, Law (both), and Bryan Fury. But the challenge was really about maneuvering to get your combo or 10-string off before your opponent. Poking had its moments but the pitbull won because the turtle's siege mentality is inevitably self-defeating. Characters were unbalanced in all versions, too. Plus there was no substitute for speed. Enter VF4: the game system along with its characters is much more balanced than the Tekkens I've seen and played. I'm not knocking the Tekken crowd entirely. Some people like to pay that way. I'd rather have a more interestingly balanced gameplay system with fighters that blow us away in all aspects and a great platform to enjoy it all from. A tutorial mode for fighting would be nice too. Tekken always assumed that we should know how to fight already. VF4 gives me all of that in spades. The VF4 characters are also fairly close in speed with no one character being grossly out of balance in relation to the others...

That is why I play and like VF4 more.</font color=yellow>

17. BentLee

BentLee Member

I'm playing VF4 because it is l33t. Although I only have one competitor, he's good and I'm sure I'll meet more VFers in Cali eventually. I really haven't been into a fighting this much since Soul Calibur. That coupled with the fact that I just got a computer and a broadband connection, as opposed to a dreamcast and its ghetto browser, means I'll be able to learn by watching high level matches, opposed to just reading tech/strats like I did with Calibur.

I don't play because I want to own everyone. I play simply because this game is so much fun.

18. plan17

plan17 Active Member

cause i think Aoi is the coolest character in the history of fighting games. Pretty much that's it.

19. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

i play VF4 becos.... I play VF1 and liked VF1, then i went to play VF2 and I liked VF2 too, so i went on to VF3, and I liked VF3 too!!, so there is it, I liked VF4 and i am playing it...

20. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

It's most realistic fighting out there right now.