1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you all hate the xbox

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowdean, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

NO ONE here as even friggen played it...

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Heh, I'm with you on this one. Microsoft has a lot of good things going for it, and many bad things as well. I'd rather evaluate a console on its merits rather than just slam it because it's owned by a "money hungry corporation" or something. Like duh. Every corporation is out to maximize shareholder value.

[​IMG]

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Why do you generalise!?

4. Shadowdean

LOL....Go read "re-future of fighting games" and about every other thread here...NO one here seems to think anything of the xbox...I try not to generalize, but sometimes they are true.

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

It has very few original games that look worth playing yet it gets all this buzz just because it is from microsaoft. That is why I hate the X-Box.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

6. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I don't think I ever said I hated it, but there are reasons why I am thinking of holding off on purchasing it:

1) JSRF will be on PS2. Although the Xbox version might be graphically superior.
    2) I just have too many games that I haven't even touched or beaten to justify yet another console purchase. Plus Gamecube is around the same time already.
    3) All those damn bundles, if I could walk into a store on launch day with just DoA3 and an extra controller I'd be happier.

7. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I love the x-box! It's so black, so big and heavy! It's excellent for... um... erm... smashing someone's head?

8. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

I have played the X Box so there. Form what i have seen it does almost everything wrong but it still looks like its going to sale and that makes me sick the X Box doesnt deserve to even sale 1 unit

Hwang Jang Lee should of won in Drunken Masters it would be cool the first bad guy to win in a kung fu movie

9. Shadowdean

Can you give any specifics?

10. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

Personally I don't hate the Xbox. I just don't think it has a chance in hell of going anywhere.

Why?

1) Xbox fans
    a)Reason to buy #1 it's powerful
    b)MS has money
    c)There is no c

2)MS
    a)Buy/line up PC developers
    b)Nab the worst 3d fighter and make it your flagship title
    c)Make the biggest system in the HISTORY OF TIME

2a is bad because PC developers rarely produce games that appeal to the general system buying public. No mainstream system sellers equates to a 2 year til death system.

Personally I don't like betting on system power because it's absolutely meaningless. The market goes where the games do. This isn't the PC accelerator market where a 5% performance gain is worth $350 every other month. It won't fly to assume that buyers will magically adopt this posture.

11. Shadowdean

Your right, it has the worst developer - sega.....

12. Drunken_Master

but sega are working for all platforms so who gives a crap if they make x box games?

'Drunken idiot walking or staggering HIC,

13. Shadowdean

Just the fact that it will look that much better..lol....good lord...

14. Marginal

Yep. It'll be night and day the stuff on the Xbox. Just like DoA2 and DoA2 Hardcore. DC vs PS2. 3 million polys and worse lighting abilities vs 20 and superior lighting.

Huh? People can't tell the difference? Odd...

15. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Actually, I think the DC version of DOA 2 looks much better.

I like the fancy lighting and shiny floors (the trademark of PS2 games), but the polygon counts weren't changed and the PS2 version suffers from insane jagged egdes. I'm talking about hardcore, BTW. Side by side on a good TV, the DC version looks so much cleaner. In hardcore, you can't even make out many of the patterns on the clothing due to the jagged edges.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PS2 is a more powerful hardware, but in this case, I'd play the DC version.

Spotlite

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

A lot of the PS2 games and even Tekken 4 have "interesting" contrast... Don't know what it is exactly, but it usually bugs me. I'm mainly referencing things like the menus in DoA2:Hardcore. Do you know what I mean? How it's hard to read a lot of the white fonts on the black, but I've seen this in more than a couple games. Are they just trying to put fancy lighting on fonts or something? This big shiny effect that's sort of whacked imo. Just curious if anyone can give me input on this. I sort of remember a few examples of this in Tekken 4 as well, or something similar rather.

-Chanchai

17. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Yeah, it's all the same problem, as I understand it. the PS2 can't do clean text due to alaising issues, espescially scrolling text.

I think it's amazing they'd release a system like that, but oh well. It's in every PS2 game I have, right up to Silent Hill 2

Spotlite

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well thank goodness it's not me. I don't have a PS2 (yet anyways), but it was really annoying at noticing this always. It's so common, I was wondering if it was a "feature." Seeing as how popular blurry vision test T-shirts were/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

Fixed the anti-alias and graphical issues my ass!

-Chanchai

19. Marginal

Uh, the polygon counts were in fact, changed. They used the more complex cutscene models for everythign in the PS2 version and upped the cinemas to 60fps.

Just goes to show that hardware power =! superior looking games.

20. Drunken_Master

even though the gamecube has better graphics? IMHO and i have seen both machines running games for real

'Drunken idiot walking or staggering HIC,