1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you play with Lion?

Discussion in 'Lion' started by keensab, Feb 6, 2007.

1. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Because he is so cool overall. He was my first VF character and I only pick him up again for real again recently the last time I was online. It makes me wonder why it took me so long to get back into him again.

I like his winning phrase back in the day where he makes fun of the other people in the VF "old". "What a knucklehead" is very close second though

2. rafito1280

rafito1280 New Member

I started to use Lion in VF2 because it is fast and have attacks of all directions. In VF5 he gets better.

3. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    because lion is a dick and he pisses ppl off. even if u lose, as long as u stick ur middle finger out (PKG), uve won the battle
    ( :

4. CRASHEM8000

CRASHEM8000 Well-Known Member

Although I'm a Jacky player, Lion's my second choice. In my opinion, he's always been one of the cooler and funnier characters, and has some of the coolest moves in the series. Plus, his low attacks, throws, spins, and dodges are always welcomed.

5. llMICll

llMICll Well-Known Member

I remember back in vf2 on sega saturn where if you go to the options menu and do the sound fx check, Lion had a couple of Bruce Lee-esque expressions that I think they should bring back in the series. If I remember correctly, one of those expressions was used if you broke a non-standard throw from your opponent.

Anyways, Lion is pretty cool. Other than Shun Di and Pai, Lion is my character of choice. His voice pitch seems to get higher and higher as the series progresses.

6. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

I play lion just because of his super annoying win quotes, I normally hate to be on the receiving end of those.

7. Mikiway

Mikiway Member

Just as ETPharaoh I started to play Lion as VF2 came out and played exclusively this character until I could say that I truly master his moves.

I just started recently to change a little.

With VF5 coming out, I found a character more appealing than Lion and started to play Eileen for esthetics reasons. On the other side, the gameplay from Aoi started to highly interests me.

So you could say Lion remains my main character while I hesitate which character I should seriously pick for training.
    M.

8. Faust

Faust Member

I play him becuse I like souther mantis

9. LegendaryHero90

LegendaryHero90 Well-Known Member

because no one else does.

10. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    I played Lion for a few reasons:

--when playing VF4EVO, i realized that i wasn't too good with my first two characters, Jacky and Aoi, so i tried someone else. whenever i played Chibita, i would either win very close or get destroyed, and that was on Beginner mode... so i tried using Lion, he's pretty easy and fun to use, so i started an account with him and he was very good. i was better with him than i ever was with Jacky or Aoi.

--i LOVE using him against my brothers, they get so angry whenever they lose to Lion. no matter what, unless my one brother (who uses Akira) quickly gets off Yoho when i do my favorite method of annoyance, d+P -- d+K+G, i hit them with it every time. it's fun to play mind games with your opponent if you can mix up your high/mids and lows easily. [​IMG]

11. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't know much about Lion) but isn't his 2K+G a low?

12. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yep. Arguably the best sweep in the game. But mid low mixup? LOL

13. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    i just noticed that some Lion AI players will do a low punch and immediately go to 2K+G. i liked the way it tricked a good amount of people so i tried incorporating it into my strategy, and it's working pretty good so far.

14. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    So you mix them up by doing two low attacks in a row, what? Maybe I've misunderstood :S

15. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

No one blocks low yo, you have seen the Lion players online right Seidon?

16. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I think he was using low sweep against evade after 2P.

17. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

I know what he's talking about, I do it sometimes. I've also seen SGLion use it (in vids) and UKRayne use it. The way I see it, it's just part of a poking mix-up. You do a low punch and then mix up between a low or a mid. If you go for a low and it knocks them down then you get to apply some oki etc etc and keep chipping away at them with pokes.

18. DomAug

PSN:
    domaug
    yep, pretty much. i love it, for some reason it forces people into a mind game and when that happens, it's easier to follow up with poking and combos.

19. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Sweep is to catch a sidestep. How're you going to use a 19f move as a mixup in small advantage? Sure, the sweep will connect and score you a knock down if your opponent doesn't sidestep and isn't paying attention, but it's not what I'd call a mid low mix up.

20. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised Marly. It covers a lot of bases, as you said it takes care of the opponent if he decides to sidestep. It's not terrifically safe and I'd be hesitant about using it against a moral player or if it has been blocked before. But I seem to have decent success with it.

Also I once heard that the key to VF is knock downs and Lion has some great oki options.