1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does every Lau....

Discussion in 'Lau' started by KowtowRobinson, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

This is because you might not know enough about lau. Just off the top of my head...

4P+K
    6P+K
    P+K
    66P+K
    1P+K

Are all moves with very specific evasive properties. It's essential to understand how to use these moves to their full potential for any Lau player.

2. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Just adding to what Shiznittles put up.

Really like this match OgiKage hosted. Lau vs. Vanessa. Even though Lau loses, it's still a fun watch. Love the combo he does around 1:40 too.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sw7YRKdI9iY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sw7YRKdI9iY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sw7YRKdI9iY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sw7YRKdI9iY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hmm, not sure how to embed YouTube vids here. So here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw7YRKdI9iY

3. Shiznittles

Shiznittles Well-Known Member

Damn,

Lau does some massive damage at 1:41 in that one Krsjin[/size]. Great video. I swear that's a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif doing that lift there (I may be wrong).

Srider [/size]- I think one of my own most undervalued Lau moves is indeed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - such a good clobber move!

Good stuff,

-Tim

4. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Yeah when I first saw it I had no idea what it was. So I went to training mode. It's actually pretty easy (Just requires a counter hit.)

Command is as you thought /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

Full thing is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(pause)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Tested it against some other options off of that counterhit, and it's the best I could find in both looks and damage, so it's win win /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

5. Shiznittles

That post launch /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (pause) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is so freaking awesome! Love it. I have to use it somewhere. Good find man.

-Tim

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Yes, after sparring with MystD I was reminded that Lau has a ton of evasive attacks... Anyway, he is still boring :p I just dont like the way his moves look.

7. MystD

MystD Well-Known Member

Well I use 6P+K, 1P+K and 8K already but didn't know 66P+K, P+K & 4P+K could be useed too evade H too. No wonder 66P+K is used that much. But compared to the other Kung Fu chars Lau has not much evasive atks. Yes laus moves are not that eye candy compared to shun & lei I normally play, it's pretty booring but he's a good training char like akira. I use akira as stick training char. And because I use too much reversals, sabakis and other flashy moves my basics have never really improved. Like I dont do enough hitcheck, with lau you are forced to use the basics if you don't your KO in no time. Thats why I like him.

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    8K evades mids too.

ps. Thanks for the sparring the other day MystD, Im sorry if I came across as rude, I wasnt quite all my normal self at the time.

9. MystD

MystD Well-Known Member

?? rude ?? dono what you're talking about. Can't remember anything about you being rude. Playing you is always fun ^-^

10. J6Commander

J6Commander Well-Known Member

That combo is already listed in lau wiki combo section. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vf5:lau:combos

11. KowtowRobinson

KowtowRobinson Well-Known Member

8k evades SOME mids. A lot of low elbows and stuff. Also 9p is great for hopping over 2p among other things, and gives you a guarunteed combo, as opposed to the stagger that 8k,k gives you.

12. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Most of the evasive properties are fairly situational for Lau, so try to discover them through play.

13. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

Hateful Fin

Lau's moves look cool. His b,f+p would shatter your igloo into a million pieces and then there would be a Super Replay.

14. KowtowRobinson

Re: Hateful Fin

haha FACE.

15. Shiznittles

Here's another great video courtesy of Dustin (SweepTheLeg). Talk about comeback. I kept watching this thinking there's no freaking way he has enough time to win. Top that off with the fact he ends it on my favorite Lau move TenShinHainShou /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and you have an instant classic.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsUCHKLFEGc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsUCHKLFEGc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thanks Dustin!!!

16. MysticBoudha

MysticBoudha Well-Known Member

WOW! People find Lau boring. They find his moves are not cool.
    <span style='font-size: 14pt'>ARE YOU KIDDIN ME[/size]</span>

Lau has some of the most badass looking moves in the game. his moves have a sense of power and control that no other character has. And his throws are simply awesome.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    Backturned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    In Koei stance
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif on hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

and im missing a lot.
    All those palm moves are so masterish compared to those fancy looking moves from all those amateurs Lau has to face.

IMO Lau simbolizes the ultimate master who kicks your ass with some ancient deadly fighting style mastered by only a few. And he is played that way. He is a very situational character and playing him will develop your skill to read your opponent.

By playing him that way you get a feeling of control over the match that no other character can give you. Ive played a lot of characters in vf almost all of them beside Vanessa and Pai and ive played almost any fighting game that ever existed and i can say by far that no other character in any fighting game can compare to Lau.

If you start playing him seriously eventually youll have what i like to call an enlightened moment where every move your opponent will try to dish at you will be countered witha uncanny ability to read your opponents patterns and when youll have even only one round of that Lau crazyness youll get hooked.

Lau is not my main but he is definitely my favorite character in the game and will eventually be my main. But im a beast with him and if i ever get a 360 again in my lifespan i will play anyone who thinks Lau is boring and kick his ass /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

17. Shiznittles

I love Lau too. He is such a wicked badass that I can take his losing rounds for the ones where he seriously dishes the ass kicking so hard and fast I barely realize the round has started before I see "Excellent".

I get a lot of the gripes about his 'sameness' and 4 or 5 deep moveset but seriously - how awesome are:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    Backturned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    Kokei /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    Kokei /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(wait for it!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

Come on!

-Shiz

18. Onkel_Lau

Onkel_Lau New Member

Hi everybody, i am new here and i have been playing vf since the old saturn days and well i am a real lau fanboy, apparently I think he got much stronger in vf 5 and i simply cannot understand why most people bash on him because his style is not "flashy" enough.

let's face it, lau is a damn, damn powerful guy. easy to control fast and vicious on long range as well on mid range, he sweeps and straight combos are his ultimate weapon in my opinion, got stuck at the guard with a fancy combo sweep them...

many people hate me for that cause i busted them with my sweeps, it's terrible i know and people complain how unskilled i am..compared to them cause they say i can do so many fancy moves etc...but fact remains it's a part of his arsenal so why not abuse it?

it's still a game right? if you fight on close range with akira, that's pathetic, why not go on distance sweep em, let him stand up, evade, use the tiger claw in the face and dish a combo here we go...textbook style.

19. KowtowRobinson

Well the sweeps are hella punishable, so hopefully you've got a backup plan for someone who punishes them.

20. Onkel_Lau

Onkel_Lau New Member

well i am not playing constantly on sweeps. they are just abusable enough to annoy others, usually i do them if i find my myself in a point with no return, bet and win situation if you say so. for example tons of guys are pressuring you with straight combos like jacky, sarah, pai, helle ven el blaze...

so they keep their guard up always, what can you do...i lurk them into their style of play and kick them of balance with the sweep...

as soon as they start walking twoards you, sweep em. find the opening and bam...doesnt work always though, i have problems with guys like jeffrey his knee damn good. actually bulky guys are myu weakspot, jeffry and wolf can inflict major damage on me, especially wolfs unblockable chop is mean.

akira is badass in close combat against lau...no chance in hell lau can win this, so stay far away i am always impressed how long ranged lau's legs are...at range every akira player is at disadvantage, that's were lau shines. i am not the best player...i know there are maybe more then one thousand better then me, but i also know that i can beat one thousand with ease.