1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is VF best?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by akiralove, Jan 18, 2006.

1. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

1. A button masher cant beat a person that knows what they're doing.

2. It challenges me to think like no other fighting game can.

3. It is the most realistic and true to martial arts fighter I have ever seen.

4. When VF1 debuted I was blown away by the graphics back then and the graphics still blow me away with every addition to the series. I fell in love with it back then and I fall in love with it more with each addition to the series.

5. It reinvents itself, bigger and better. It evolves (no pun intended).

6. When you practice it shows and the amount of tactics and techniques available are huge.

7. Sega, rules.

2. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

When VF2 came out Nam and I were both wrestling fans, and one of the things that immediately attracted me to the game were Wolf and Jeffrey's throws... Being able to pull of throws like the steiner driver, frankensteiner, splash mountain was great, and VF2 was way better than any wrestling game available at the time...

After getting VF2 for the Saturn and playing it nonstop I became really accustomed to the setups / guessing games... It was just a lot of fun to play...

-Alex

3. growcian

growcian Member

As of this writing, I started playing VF4Evo about three weeks ago. A few factors got me started playing the game. Since I can’t list the specifics, I’ll try telling the following story.

While I was surfing the ‘net, I came across VFDC a number of times. Fishie pointed me to an interesting thread at one time and I started to dig through some archives. I also looked at more recent posts and announcements. Both Fishie and Zero-chan wanted to attend Plague’s post-E3 party and they hadn’t figured out a way to get there. I was actually in the mood to go to a small gathering so I offered them a ride. At that point, since it was already decided *I* was going to attend Plague’s party, I figured I should probably purchase a copy of the game so I could offer some level of resistance to the people who have been playing VF much longer than I have.

I purchased a copy of VF4Evo online. When it arrived, I had two weeks to learn something about the game before Plague’s party. I picked Aoi because I like Japanese girls. ^^;;;;;;; Fishie told me she’s a very difficult character for beginners and he was being kind when he said I was going to get raped. I didn’t care. XD I like Aoi. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On day 3, I was able to taste my own ass getting handed to me by a local friend. He loves VF4Evo but no one actually wanted to play the game against him until now. He was rusty but I still got owned hard. He did say I was off to a good start and just needed to learn Aoi’s movelist.

Fast forward to Plague’s party. While I did better than when I played against my local friend, I still got pwn3d. Hard. That didn’t matter. I was having fun and I actually had enough skills so when I did lose, I didn’t lose 3-0 (best out of five) with a few perfects tossed in very often. While there were instances when I did lose 3-0 and lost via perfect, I was able to keep most matches 3-2 or 3-1, and I showed I was far from being a pushover despite my inexperience. I had a lot of fun and learned quite a bit about the game from the ass whoopin’. I hope I was able to keep the everyone I played against entertained for the most part. ^^; I remember the faces but I don’t necessarily remember everyone’s names. ^^;;;;;; I thanked Plague in another thread. I should thank everyone I played against at the party too. Thanks guys! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, back to why *I* like VF...

Fast forward to yesterday. Three weeks experience. I got to play against my local friend again. He still beat me more often than I beat him but the gap between us shrunk by a significant margin. He pulled off a few throw combos and I was getting a kick out from that. I ended up becoming a reversal maniac. I knocked him down and he attempted a rising low sweep. He fell into my [2][P]+[K] and I gave him a combo sandwich. He got knocked down again. He then tried to mix it up with a rising middle kick and he got whacked by my [1][P]+[K]. He didn't *DARE* attempt a rising attack against me from that point on! XD

Over the course of a few matches, I had a lot of fun playing guessing games with him. He did too. It didn't matter to me I lost more often than I won - I was having fun and when I did lose, there were a few absolutely hilarious ring outs when my friend's Kage performed a DOA Hayabusa-like toss-and-grab.

The fun parts for me? The guessing games. I can't get the same kind of guessing game experience from other fighting games. While I do like to play other fighters, they lack the guessing game potential of VF4Evo.

Another significant source of fun is with this message board. I'll get to this later. First, there's some explaining to do.

I could never be the part of other fighting games' communities because even if I were to take what gets said at those boards with a pinch of salt, the goons who post messages are arrogant assholes. They keep talking about how good they are and how everyone else can't match their L337 5k1LLz. I've met the likes of them before - they're the same scrubs who complain about how much standard control pads suck and they should have brought their own joysticks after they get pwn3d by someone with real skills. I can't stand these punks and even if I could find someone with about the same skill level as me, all the assholes I'd have to sift through gave me incentive to not bother with other games' fan base.

In my eyes, what's different about VFDC? With the exception of someone who no longer posts here (I was reading the archives), for the most part, VFers are humble. They don't talk about how good they are. They don't talk about how they'll own n00bz who have no hope. When I went to Plague's party, no one rubbed into my face how much I sucked. I was welcomed despite my inexperience and I even got offered some advice on how I could improve my playing skills. That's real encouragement. That's a very good way to make the members of the community have stronger friendships with one another.

Community members are outside of the software's quality. Programmers had control over what to do with the game. Programmers have no control over the behavior of a game's fan base. However, VF being the kind of series it is, it attracted all the really cool people I met at Plague's party.

Those are the reasons I like VF. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

End my $0.02.

4. tianyuan2k2

tianyuan2k2 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    growcian said:

VFers are humble.

[/ QUOTE ]

/versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif /versus/images/graemlins/indifferent.gif /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, I only talk about how suck I am /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

5. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
    tonyfamilia said:
    1. A button masher cant beat a person that knows what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could someone link me to a match where a button masher beats a person who knows what they're doing in another game? I've seen plenty of button mashers beat other people, but none of those other players have been good.

On a more serious note, could one of the UK players get an opinion from Ryan about this? I see him and Maddogjin as two of the few players who have played both games at a high level (Ohsu_Akira/Eddy more recently) and would be interested to hear their opinions. Or, if anyone knows how to get in touch with MDJ/Ohsu, that would be interesting as well. It would be more informative than a lot of the generic opinions that appear in these threads.

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Darrius_Cole said:

Once upon a time I said that from a certain point of view fighting games are like women. Since that time, 2 more Ms. Right-Now's have come and gone (Tekken 5, SC3). Now a third has come, and with the opening of this thread, has begun to pass, earlier than expected I might add. And here we are, still happy with the same Mrs. Right.

The addage still hold true, "If fighting games were women, VF would be the one you marry."

All of the above points are correct and add to the overall quality of the experience. Of those I think the risk/reward system and the variety of options make the biggest difference. Because together they add up to what I think is the lowest common denominator that differentiates VF from all other games.

That denominator is freedom.

When I play other 3-D games eventually all the options and flaws become obvious and the players get scared to make a move. Normally these games start to reward turtling, and at high levels the game slows down. As most of your options start to offer too much punishment for failure compared to the reward for success and the probability of success, the game takes most of your options from you. You are not really free to make choices.

VF is the complete opposite. In VF, I am afraid of not moving. VF punishes turtling. At high levels the game speeds up as you have to input more commands in smaller windows, all the while you have no shortage of viable options. The game itself doesn't restrain your creativity. You are free to make whatever decision you wish, without ever being pushed into a corner with only one way to go.

Where is the evidence of this freedom: There are several ways to play every character. Because the game allows players their choice of several options at every point in the game, different people consistently make different choices. The casual observer can see it in the different styles that are used to play each character.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT Darrius_Cole. Your analogy is interesting but you're right on the money. /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

For me, personally, it’s the passion that the Virtua Fighter series stirs in me as much as its depth. When I first saw VF1 I was about ten or eleven and had just come out into the lobby of a laser tag arcade, it was a mate’s birthday and he had invited half the class. Good times…

Anyway, I heard it before I actually saw it; if I remember correctly it was Jacky’s theme tune (the stage with the floor that looked like a landing pad?) and when I followed the sound and went round the corner I was flawed by, at the time, the life-like 3D graphics. Bigger kids were playing with Kage and Jeffry and I was content to just watch them play, in awe. I had a few quid in my pocket but I just didn’t have the guts to ask for a game and Street Fighter 2 and some sort of Aliens lightgun game seemed much more appealing. So I moved on. And that was that for VF1.

Forward a year or so and I had become a devout Sega fanboy; random squabbles over Sonic, Mario, Streets of Rage or Final Fight were common with my friends and I started buying gaming mags instead of sweets and in one I caught my first glimpse of VF2. The graphics were amazing, I had to play it!

In London there’s this massive plaza in the West End called “Trocaderoâ€Â. I don’t know about now but back in the day it was the arcade, it had everything. So, one weekend I took my crumpled up copy of CVG with its partial move list and about £20 in pound coins and fifty pence pieces and walked (not a big thing for me now. I take long walks regularly as a form of meditation) from NW (Camden) to W London so I could have more money to spend.

When I arrived at the Trocadero and finally started playing VF2…I wasn’t disappointed. At the time I was obsessed with Ninja and naturally picked Kage; I abused [6][6][P]+[K]+[G] like a bad habit and could barely get passed Jeffry. Yet, I thought I was a badass. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It wasn’t till a year after that I got a Saturn for Christmas with VF2 and the rest of the holiday season besides playing VF2 is a blur. I naturally selected Kage as my first character but by now my fascination with Ninjitsu had lessened significantly and in its place was my budding interest in my latest hobby at the time: Shotokan Karate.

I dabbled with Lion and even Lau for a bit before picking Jacky more often than not. His plethora of roundhouse kicks and the infamous Kickflip catered to my taste at the time for no nonsense attacks. Then, something strange and wonderful happened...I actually listened to Sarah’s theme tune; the wailing, aggressive beat and tempo (Next to Iori Yagami’s 95 and 96 theme tunes it’s up there as the best imo). Her sinsiter looking stage with its lightning and then there was the [3][K][K][K], Mirage Kick. /versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Though Sarah Bryant was a girl and amongst my fanatical friends, who to pick Chun Li in Street Fighter was a cause for ridicule, I had found my avatar. The combos, multiple kicks and the knees! I’m certain that through Sarah I developed tastes that would later lead me towards studying Muay Thai in my adulthood but back then, it was enough for me to howl as I floored the AI with a well-timed [6][6][K] or [2_][6][K]. I never went back to the arcades during the VF2 era again but in my little world, in my room with my beloved Saturn I was the Lord of Virtua Fighter! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I even started incorporating Sarah’s techniques into my Karate classes; doing two Yoko Geri instead of one or even a meek third when I could manage it, much to the amusement and sometimes annoyance of my Sensei as I also liked to perform [6][P][K] on my hapless peers. Looking back, I now realise that it was a “Macdojoâ€Â. /versus/images/graemlins/indifferent.gif

To cut a long story short; I bypassed the London VF3 arcade scene in favour of playing tb on the Dreamcast. It wasn’t till VF4 that I was mature and savvy enough to return to the arcades and seek Human competition. I can remember many memorable moments with complete strangers and the odd familiar face that you’d come to recognise after weeks of sessions. I learnt more from those matches than all the faqs and guides I could find combined. I remember vividly bragging to my mates, now working or in Uni by then, that I landed a <font color="pink">FL:</font> [8][4][2][6][P]+[G] on Ryan Hart and them taking the piss… But I was chuffed for days. There were times when I’d spend £50 a week just on VF. It was pure excess.

Evo came and until recently we’ve only had Ver. A, for me that started to loose its allure, (about the same time I started having cash flow problems but that’s another story) of course I bought the PS2 version but that soon got old too.

And here I am now; committed to learning Brad Burns in light of his much needed tweaking in FT so that I might partake of his unique pseudo Muay Thai skills in VF5. The fact that I have a near endless supply of enthusiasm for this series speaks volumes. And it’s still got me by the balls even as I creep towards twenty five. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. zakira

zakira Well-Known Member

HELLOOO, it's my first time here. Actually I've been here for a long time now. I just read the posts of the guys here, didn’t have the courage to post coz I don’t think I'm even as half good as some of the guys here.
    Anyways, what makes VF to be the best fighting game ever?
    mmm… when I was a little kid, the first time I saw VF1 was in a gaming magazine I was astonished. At first I thought it was a new street fighter but in 3D but when I read the article about the game and how it is the first 3D fighting game ever, I said to my self I have to play this game. Soon I found the game a big mall having there own arcade center. I just played the game till my money ran out. Too bad I couldn’t play the game every day coz the mall was too far from home and being a little kid you cant nothing but wait till your parents decide to go again to the mall.
    Then came VF2 and it just blew my brain away. Sometimes I just stand there in front of the arcade with out even playing.
    After that VF3 came and at that time I was in my gaming prime and had a lot of fun with it. I used to brag about the game to my friends and how the game is advanced graphically and there is no such game that could beat it.

Of course, now still looking at the game I can easily say why it's the best fighting game out there. Every time a new installment of FV is released, it sets a new standard in the graphic department. Every character in VF is very unique and has totally deferent taste from each other "when you play with them and when you play against them". VF has the solidest system than any fighting game ever had. AM2 always do there best to make the character as much balanced as it could be. It's the only fighting game where if I lose I know why I lost. And if I win I know why too. There is no such thing in VF as an unbeatable move. Every thing has a lot of solutions. No body can corner you with one move or even few. VF presented a lot of real martial arts styles that no other fighting games did ever had. It gave a certain of realism.

All of this made a great fighting game. Yet I sometime wonder why games like Tekken and DOA are much more popular. /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif