1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why'd you choose your main character?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pinokkio, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

What were your reasons for choosing your main character? Was it because of his/her strengths? Looks? Connection with the martial arts he/she performs? Just being curious. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My reasons for choosing Goh were because I have trained in judo and jiu jitsu for many years. I just love him for his martial arts style (as weak as many here may say he is /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Then again: I've only played VF since last Saturday, so perhaps I may yet wisen up.

2. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

I chose Jacky for two reasons:

1. The first time I seriously played VF was on VF4, though I did have VF2 when I was young (too young to take an interest in a game this difficult). I remembered from what I had seen on VF2 that Sarah and Jacky were really good, and that alot of people used them. I thought that more people would play Sarah than Jacky, so I decided on Jacky (though I now play Sarah as well).

2. I have always liked 'flashy' fighting styles, and I saw Those 5-hit kick combos he had while my brother was fighting against him, and although I know now that they are useless, they looked good at the time, so I was attracted to his moves.

I am actually quite glad I chose him, because he is a very good character, and seems to work well with my strengths and weaknesses. I can watch stance, and this rewards Jacky very much, as opposed to some characters that don't really need you to be able to watch stance to take decent damage from your combos. I also have embarrassingly bad inputs, and as most of Jacky's combos don't require mod'ed shoulder rams or anything like that, I am lucky to escape messing up my combos.

P.s. I can answer this question for any Kage player:
    "Because I am cheap and I like whoring over-powered moves".

3. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:

I chose Jacky for two reasons:

1. The first time I seriously played VF was on VF4, though I did have VF2 when I was young (too young to take an interest in a game this difficult). I remembered from what I had seen on VF2 that Sarah and Jacky were really good, and that alot of people used them. I thought that more people would play Sarah than Jacky, so I decided on Jacky (though I now play Sarah as well).

2. I have always liked 'flashy' fighting styles, and I saw Those 5-hit kick combos he had while my brother was fighting against him, and although I know now that they are useless, they looked good at the time, so I was attracted to his moves.

I am actually quite glad I chose him, because he is a very good character, and seems to work well with my strengths and weaknesses. I can watch stance, and this rewards Jacky very much, as opposed to some characters that don't really need you to be able to watch stance to take decent damage from your combos. I also have embarrassingly bad inputs, and as most of Jacky's combos don't require mod'ed shoulder rams or anything like that, I am lucky to escape messing up my combos.

P.s. I can answer this question for any Kage player:

[/ QUOTE ]

A Jacky player knocking Kage players for cheapness, a contractadition in terms surely? LMAO. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Horsepool

Horsepool Well-Known Member

Back when I started playing VF4, I opted for Shun Di. Because well, Drunken Master is the coolest movie ever, and Sam Seed rules /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I was getting really good with Shun until Evolution. I dont know what happened, but as soon as I got Evo, I sucked with Shun. so i checked out Brad, because I love Kickboxing. Its my martial art of choice, and so Brad was a naturally good choice. After around 300 matches or so, I couldnt cope with his lack of down attacks, but I still use him quite a bit.

And Finally Goh. Oh how much I hate how he looks. But his style is great. Combos are easyish, and his shoulder ram got a hell of alot easier upon getting a stick. He is a game of poking, and I like that. Just need to keep it mixed, otherwise your pokes get pwned /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Note: Although Goh may not be a poking game, its how I play him, and it works fine /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Horsepool said:
    And Finally Goh. Oh how much I hate how he looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, since I've given him a decent haircut, dyed his hair red, and given him a silver outfit (looks almost white) to go with his purple shirt, and black belt he looks a lot better. Now if only I can get something to cover his face properly I'll be happy.

Btw, I like his first extra victory pose you can buy. How's the 2nd one?

6. Horsepool

Horsepool Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Pinokkio said:
    Heh, since I've given him a decent haircut, dyed his hair red, and given him a silver outfit (looks almost white) to go with his purple shirt, and black belt he looks a lot better. Now if only I can get something to cover his face properly I'll be happy.

Btw, I like his first extra victory pose you can buy. How's the 2nd one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent bought any extra victory poses. But my currant Goh Setup is all siver, with the hazzard strips on the arms, and the alien mask. Looks sweet /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Pinokkio

Pinokkio Member

With the first victory pose Goh will make a Spinning Kakato-Geri (called Kiribarai in the game?), makes a right handed fist movement , and babbles something in Japanese.

8. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

I picked Vanessa because she has two stances that you can change between, and they dont cancel into each other like all of Lei-Fei's. Plus, with two stances she's almost like two different characters in one package.

9. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:P.s. I can answer this question for any Kage player:

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shou said:No tiers but your TEARS. ;_;

[/ QUOTE ]
    /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

10. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

I choose Aoi because she was my main character in VF3. She was my main character in VF3 because I really like the grace with which sega implimented her character and style.
    The reason I made Vanessa my main character in VF4 is because I preferred VF3 Aoi to the VF4 version. The reason Aoi once again became my main charcter in Evo is because I was pissed off that they weakened Vanessa's defensive stance (I believe 'balance' was the excuse, yeah that old chesnut!).

The reason I prefer VF3 is that I think its better than VF4 and VF4 Evo (Can't comment on final tuned).

11. Muramasa

Muramasa Member

Initially I chose Pai as my main char, all the way back in VF1. Yet, I didn't really much about the game (being around 11 at the time when I played it.) I continued with Pai all the way up to VF4, when I tried some new chars

Lei-Fei was my first new char, since I love Shaolin mysticism. I enjoyed playing him and the guessing games you can play with him, yet I just had to take the ultimate challenge . . . .

I finally switched to Akira. And have faithfully played him since. I'm STILL learning new stuff about him, but I realized that learning stuff with Akira has made me an overall better player with all my other characters.

12. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

I think when I first started I played kage, then lei-fei, then shun-di, then i realized i sucked at the game. came to this site, watched a few videos - began to put floaters into my game.

I think that was the moment I began to understand VF. When you do floaters, that's when you start doing certian moves "for a reason", and then everything just progressed naturally after that.

Oh... and I play everyone except lau and pai... since you need some variety! So yeah, I'm decent with pretty much everyone, but I guess I'd say my mains are goh, jeff, and kage.

13. Painty_J

[ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:
    /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nigga cant get no love

14. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I initially picked Kage because of his incredibly awsome acrobatic moves and because at the time I played VF, I loved whoring the shit out of his [6][6][K]+[G]. Then I discovered his TFT and just fell in love with all the cool arial combos. Plus personally I liked ninjas.

Then along came Akira. At first I loathed thim because I coincidentally developed a bad habit with Kage's ppp strings, let that be a warning to all those Pai and Lau beginners. I had trouble with all his combos, could barely do DLC, I sure as hell couldn't do his knee since I was using pad at the time, so I just gave up on him. Then one day, out of nowhere I began to play him again. Then at that moment it was magic. Somehow I managed to get good with him. I was doing his simple combo's and I was enjoying playing with him. Then I discovered VFDC and from then on the rest is history. Since then I have learned WAY more then ever and am STILL learning more about Akira and the game in general. Plus I have a persona that's similar to Akira's.

Now I still experiment from time to time with different characters to get a feel for them and to "know my enemy" sort-to-speak. Plus I just do it to change the characters main looks. Sometimes I find them boring.

I am currently playing with Jacky and am finding his costume alterations quite a fun experience.

15. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Akira_PH said:

Plus I have a persona that's similar to Akira's.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?

16. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Akira_PH said:

Plus I have a persona that's similar to Akira's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you go into the mountains for 10 year periods to enhance your Martial Arts skills?

17. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

When I lose I punch the ground and the earth shakes, if that counts.

18. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I wish you would have stopped dong that when we were playing /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. Painty_J

[ QUOTE ]
    Madin said:The reason Aoi once again became my main charcter in Evo is because I was pissed off that they weakened Vanessa's defensive stance (I believe 'balance' was the excuse, yeah that old chesnut!).

[/ QUOTE ]

They actually made defensive stance better in evo and pulled out alot of the moves that didnt make much sense from her stance. Evo's DS Vanessa is actually defensive and useful, and Evo's OS Vanessa is more offensive than her ver.c incarnation.

In short, Vanessa sucked rotten garden hoses in VF4. In Evo they actually made her fun to play /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. DragonCop

DragonCop Well-Known Member

When I first started off, my main character was Lau Chan, but as Akira_Ph said, I started to develop bad habits from playing him. I started to repeat the same combos over and over again in the arcade mode of Virtua Fighter 4. Then, as soon I started playing Quest Mode in Evolution, thats when the AI players (Stunna, Little Lau, Yoshi 8000, Cobra) show me that I had to use a wide range of combos and counters in order to win.

So since training mode with Lau Chan wasn't enough for me, I decided to switch over to someone with a more complex fighting style, Lion Rafale.