1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why'd you choose your main character?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pinokkio, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I actually think OS Vanessa was better in Evo...or at least, more easy to play with effectively. No idea about DS. One way she's been really improved in FT though is in her stance-switching attacks.

2. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Yeah... I'm definitely with you on this one ice-9. I found vanessa unplayable in original vf4, and if i was going to fool around with her, it would only be DS stuff.

Sure in evo her OS got a few nice improvements with her throw game, a couple more combos, and her takedown (sorry, but you can't beat free safe damage). But really, the one thing that made her playable was her [6][P], I mean, I really wonder if it had been in vf4 would her OS have been useful.

but yeah... i try to play vanessa when i can... and i'm strictly OS...

3. sonnet

sonnet Member

Hello,

I need some advice on choosing a 2nd character. So far I've used Brad, Wolf, Akira, Goh and Kage. Out of those I really only liked Akira and Goh. I am decent with goh, I got most of his items and I'm pretty ok vs the computer. But my friends keep complaining all the time cause I keep using him and only him. So I need a 2nd character.

I wanted to play with akira, but he is too hard to master. Wich is really a let down. Also I'm afraid my brother and friends will complain about the fact that I only use overpowered hero's like ryu, jin and now akira.

I'm searching for someone that has raw power. Power over anything else. But I'm also searching for someone who has decent throws and is simple to use. Akira is perfect in terms of power and so is Goh. I'm leaning towards these characters Lion, Shun, Lei Fei and Vanessa. I know next to nothing about Vanessa and her power. Also I heard Lei Fei will seriously harm your overal play. And I am not sure about Shun and his drinks, it sounds to complicated paying attention to my drinks all the time. Wich character should I chose? Thank you for your advice

4. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

goh and akira are your fav characters? I love this guy!

See, leifei will really only hurt your game if you haven't actually learned to play it yet properly - which you pretty much have to do to play akira or goh competently. And really, it's not that he's a bad character to learn, it's just that if you're starting the game out - you're more inclined to... button mash, instead of using set moves - and only set moves... and lei-fei rewards this to an extent. (At least in the very beginning)

Other than that, it looks like jeff might be a good option. He has a similar feel to goh and akira in that you're going to be using individual inputs for all of his moves (none of this PPP bullshit /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), and he definitely has the raw power you're looking for. Not only that, but jeff's inputs are pretty damn simple, so yeah - learn to play him.

Although, if I may ask, what were your turnoffs to Kage? (I can understand someone's gripes with wolf and brad)

5. [ QUOTE ]
    sonnet said:

Hello,

I need some advice on choosing a 2nd character. So far I've used Brad, Wolf, Akira, Goh and Kage. Out of those I really only liked Akira and Goh. I am decent with goh, I got most of his items and I'm pretty ok vs the computer. But my friends keep complaining all the time cause I keep using him and only him. So I need a 2nd character.

I wanted to play with akira, but he is too hard to master. Wich is really a let down. Also I'm afraid my brother and friends will complain about the fact that I only use overpowered hero's like ryu, jin and now akira.

I'm searching for someone that has raw power. Power over anything else. But I'm also searching for someone who has decent throws and is simple to use. Akira is perfect in terms of power and so is Goh. I'm leaning towards these characters Lion, Shun, Lei Fei and Vanessa. I know next to nothing about Vanessa and her power. Also I heard Lei Fei will seriously harm your overal play. And I am not sure about Shun and his drinks, it sounds to complicated paying attention to my drinks all the time. Wich character should I chose? Thank you for your advice

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't really say that AKIRA is overpowered , i mean sure he's attacks are really powerful and quick but, how long did it take you to be able to pull off those moves? so yea... AKIRA is still a very balanced character to me, GOH is a really good character just found out like a couple days ago i played him and yea

6. i love doing his shoulder tackle move by the way...haha

7. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

I love to post

8. Painty_J

I love to double post

9. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:

I love to double post

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee it's that new sig of yours. Smashing!

I will now forget to spell AKIRA and GOH in ALL CAPS.

10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Hello, first post, but I'd like to make a first (good?) impression.

I have several reasons for why I pick a certain characters in fighting games:

A. Does their playing style feel natural for me?
    B. Are they strong in many areas? (but are not broken)
    C. Do they look/act/sound cool?
    D. Do they stand out?
    E. Are they cheap? (Steve 5.0 players need to die)

At first I was drawn to Vanessa when I picked up Virtua Fighter a few weeks ago. Her personality and fighting style is much different than the boring billboard models of Tekken and most of Soul Calibur (Ivy is cool). She has strong defensive tools, and a good offense, blah blah (everything that is common knowledge at this point).

I, however, suck with stance-based characters, and reversals are neglected by me as I really suck with the timing of those. I figured that if I can't use all the tools of a character, I shouldn't bother, especially if I tend to forget to change the stance for once.

So I opted to find a more "simple" character, who is now my favorite: Jeffry. He fits all of my criteria. What is there not to like? His commands are straight to the point, no excess. He may be slow, but he makes up in power and his throw selection. He is (kinda) fat, black, has awesome items, an awesome voice and has Headbutts to top it off. He is Wesley Willis (R.I.P.). Last but not least, he isn't cheap, and from what I've seen from Virtua Fighter makes me happy, as I used to play loads of Tekken: the playing field is FAR more leveled.

Of course being myself, I try to branch out and learn others, so I'm setting my sights on Lion, Vanessa (for a second go), Sarah and/or Lau.

As a side note I play as...
    Tekken 5: Lee (current favorite), Bryan (abandoned due to being high-tier), and have tired 2/3s of the cast but find them boring. Just might quit the game.
    Soul Calibur II: Cervantes (current favorite), Ivy (not so much anymore), Nightmare (not so much anymore), and Astroth.

11. InspectorTrue

InspectorTrue Active Member

Me? i just tried out different characters, in vf3 i started out with akira, bad choice,extremely hard to play then i went to shun, still hard to play, i tried out lau, pai and lion, i ended up with lion.

VF4 regular, i started out with akira, still too hard to use, i changed to lau and pai, pai is still too hard, lau seemed easier but the more i played, the more frustrated i got, ended up abusing ppp d+k and getting killed by cpu vanessa. i finally ended up with lion, after that the arcade took away the vf4 regular machine /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I don't know why but lion seems easier for me than other characters, at least in vf3 and vf4 regular. i know i'll have a hard time with evo and ft because of all the changes to him including the removal of his uf+p+g throw. i have a tendency to abuse his df+k, something i don't seem to do with other characters.

12. yoomazir

yoomazir Well-Known Member

I choose Goh because he had a nice character design,actually that what made me to buy VF4 Evo .
    Yeah,I know,it's not really the main reason people buy this game,but at least I discovered a great game by doing that.
    Thats the main problem of Sega ,they don't advertise very well their games,and because of that ,people buy games likken Tekken instead of VF.

13. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [ QUOTE ]
    yoomazir said:
    Thats the main problem of Sega ,they don't advertise very well their games,and because of that ,people buy games likken Tekken instead of VF.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is both good and bad thing.

Bad because, obviously, less people play this game.

The good thing is: People who value flashy lights, really weird gravity and broken players will mostly stay out.

Seriously, I'm like the only one who plays(played) Tekken at the Zaibatsu who thinks the story is garbage and the character designs (most) are lame (too boring or too over the top).

14. sonnet

sonnet Member

Well I'm not sure why I don't like Kage. But his combos are really weak. I have to punch millions of buttons to get a combo that does 40/50 damage. In the begining I was more of a combo man than someone who wants to poke all the time. And he only had 2 moves to start a combo on normal hit. Both moves did pathetic damage and one of them had a real slow start up. I'm not sure now though...

Also I just played with Jeffrey. I didn't like him either. He didn't have the throws I was looking for and his moves weren't really easy to use. Maybe I need to train more with him.

In my opinion Goh has the 2nd best throws in the game )wolf has the best). His 65/70 damage throws are pretty easy to do. Also his f,f p+g is handy and does a quick 55 damage. I use d/f p+g alot too. I use all of his throws alot cause they are all easy to do and they all do really good damage. Unlike Jeffrey. He only has easy weak throws and his damaging throws are sort of hard to do.

Should I just try and learn Akira more or stick with Jeff? Or maybe someone else?

15. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Unless you're really proficient at his commands - I wouldn't worry about akira - yet. Akira requires you to do a lot of crouch dashing to play him properly, which most beginners (understandably) have a hard time doing.

But, once you get decent with someone else, and are looking for a change - akira is defininitely a fun character to learn.

As for jeffrey, just get used to doing his splash mountain command [3][3][P]+[G], and doing his [6][K] [2][P] [6][6][P][P] combo - and that's pretty much all you need to know to play him competently /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. (Well, maybe throw a few [4][6][P], [2][K]+[G] and of course your standard jabs and elbows - but really that's all there is to him).

Goh does have a strong throw game, it's true - I know I enjoy playing him. And he's great to learn simply because he has no set strings (the biggest ones are 2 hits) - so you're forced to use individual moves, and choose them - which is the way the game is supposed to be played for all characters. So, while most people will say goh is probably the weakest in the game (really only relevent at the highest level of play), I think he's probably one of the best characters to start with, and learn good habits with.

So yeah, play whoever you want, I'd recommend jeff and goh for beginners, wait for akira until you're comfortable crouch dashing and can do his [3][3][P] [P] [2_][6][P]+[K] [2_][4][6][P] combo with ease. And in a couple of weeks try kage again, and hopefully you'll see all the tools he has to offer.

16. Painty_J

Kage: COCKSLAP OF DOOM!

17. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

competent jeff
    p
    2p
    2k+g
    3pp
    throw

18. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I hear 2p -> 6k > slamcombo and 2p > throw isn't that bad of a nitaku either.

/KiwE

19. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

oh and 3k+g

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

sonnet, ha, surprisingly accurate for someone who just started out! Try Aoi--very good throw game, good strikes, good defense, and many "tricks." Her main flaw is that she doesn't have any moves that can inflict large amounts of damage.

As for Jeffry...no Jeffry is Jeffry without [6][P]+[K]. Just ask Danny how to use this move...