1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why'd you choose your main character?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pinokkio, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

I play Sarah so I can tell people to GO BACK HOME!

BTW, FT Van is one the best charas. Super anti-elbow character, also anti K.

2. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i play Wolf so i can tell people to GO BACK TO SCHOOL!

it's more educational /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i play as goh too, he is solid on flowcharts and pressure, his throw game is only weaker becuase he gets standard throw range.

the ff+p+g is okay, but it's escapable with one input, and interuptable with another throw at close range.

infact it's logically a rubbish catch throw^^*, but ppl can get caught by it sometimes.

3. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I picked Brad preflop so to speak as me and a m8 saw that evo was announced and he "booked" goh (but later went on to quit playing vf altogheter) and I Brad (as I've always liked strikers / muay thai). Well that turned out to be a fuckup.

Rule Nr 1 of fightinggames; Never pick a character who's new to the series unless he / she has something broken.

/KiwE

4. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Rule 2: Pick them because if they make it to the next iteration of the game they're going to be retardedly more powerful than before and you're going to look like a sage for knowing that ahead of time :-D

5. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Been playing Lion since VF2. I liked his praying mantis stance I guess and his quick pokes. I don't play anyone else as serious as Lion, but I do mess around with Akira just for the hell of it. I'm not that good though. I don't put in the practice that's required for Akira. Who knows who I'll play in VF5, but I'm sure Lion will still be my favorite.

6. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Well i first played LeiFei, because i like shaolin monks and all them old hong kong cinemas. Plus he controls much more differently than any other fighter at the time. I pretty much liked the challenge. The beauty of Lei Fei is that no two players, plays him alike.

Jacky is just the opposite, I dont need to think as much.

7. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:

Rule 2: Pick them because if they make it to the next iteration of the game they're going to be retardedly more powerful than before and you're going to look like a sage for knowing that ahead of time :-D

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but here's the thing; I'm playing Evo Brad atm cause it's all I can do. FT Brad is changed greatly. VF5 Brad / Goh will probably be heavily redesigned altogether.

If you play someone like Aki it's easier to use what you've learned as far as stepping / application of moves and translate to the next part of the series.

Conclusion; This rule doesn't apply in the VF universe. See rule 1.

/KiwE

8. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

Kage is my main just so I shout 'Namoo' when I'm drunk.

Naah, actually It's cos I seen Kyasao use him back in 3 and he's sort of stuck with me.

That and Tft. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. sonnet

sonnet Member

Thanks for the suggestions. But I'll stick to Akira (maybe I'll try aoi later though) as stubborn as I am. I'm able to perform his [3][3][P] -> [P] -> [2_][6][P]+[K] -> [2_][4][6][P] combo about 100% of the time on counterhit. Less if it's a normal hit. But I don't want to use the yoho combo. I find it difficult to input df,dfP command in a real match (it's as hard as pulling of the crouching dash). The shoulder ram I can buffer when I guard or after my low punch etc etc. With the yoho I screw up. It's harder for me to input df,df then to qcf,qcf for shldrm or qcb,qcb, f for double palm

But I have trouble with the shldrm combo's too. I can hardly do the shldrm -> p -> shldrm -> double palm combo on counterhit. Not enough time to pull of the double palm. Also if the shoulderram hits I have a hard time to react to a counter hit or a normal hit. I don't know when to use the above combo or the DLC (K+G P in my case). How can you recognize a counter or normal hit in time to pull of one of those two combo finishers?

Also I used the combo searcher in training modes. And they recommend me to do b,fP -> P -> double palm. But it does less damage and is less reliable then b,fP -> dP -> double palm! On normal hit and counter the first combo does 46 damage and 58 damage. The last one does 53 and 65 damage and it's easier to perform. I'm confused

10. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    Combo search is great, but it isn't necessarily the final word in your character's combo abilities.

With Sarah, for example, against Heavyweights it tells me to follow an open stance Serpent Cannon with a Dragon Cannon. But Sarah can actually follow up with a second Serpent Cannon instead of the Dragon Cannon, which will hit Heavyweights (the first kick will pass under lighter, higher-floating opponents), and it does 1 more point of damage.

So if you play around and find a better combo, then by all means, use it. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. hfblade

hfblade Active Member

I chose Jacky because I liked his style and I heard he was relatively easier to play than most characters. So I thought it would work well for a new VF player such as myself. But lately I've been using Akira and I'm loving his combo damage. lol

12. ValeStyle_Gove

ValeStyle_Gove Well-Known Member

I chose Sarah, cause her Dragon Cannon + Flamingo is cheese. Yep, but I dont play this game anymore. :p

13. Bomber

Bomber Member

I chose Lion Rafale because his advance fighting style and how he could easily beat the rest of the fighters.

14. HungOver

HungOver Active Member

Well, I chose Shun 'cause he's just so cool, and like someone said before, Drunken Master is like the coolest (funniest) Kung-Fu flick ever.
    But then I tried Goh, since I love Jiu Jitsu and Judo. He's crazy cool, but a little limited if you ask me.
    After that Aoi, cause she's so suave it's insane.
    Now I'm trying to learn all the characters, though I realistically don't have the time to do it.
    Shun will always be my favorite, since I fell in love with him way back in VF2 and Fighters Megamix.

15. FinestStorm

FinestStorm New Member

At first i picked Sarah because w/ VF4 being my first i was told that I would learn quickly if i picked a beginner character . After learning the basics I moved on to Lei Fei was a decent enough move at the time don't know why i picked Lei Fei, something about him made me love him while still detesting his very existance but yeah.. lol
    Now I play Aoi and Pai all the time basically, I like Aoi because her Defense is more wicked that Cruela Deville and Pai well, who doesn't like Pie!? It was a move that just had to be done. and I am enjoying it ^_^

16. Squeak

Squeak Member

When I first started with VF2 back in Winter/Spring 1996, I was an Akira player (He is/was the coverboy!), though I played a tiny bit of Lion.

Winter/Spring 1997. After getting my ass handed to me by Sarah once, I noticed how cool a lot of her moves were, and tried her out. Not only did she have great looking moves, but they were easy to pull off as well. Oh and, she was hot (I was 10 years old at the time). I've been a Sarah player ever since.

17. Aikidoka_Aoi

Aikidoka_Aoi New Member

Hi guys!

This is my first post and I've only just discovered this site today (great site obviously!). I've been playing VF4 (PS2) for just over two years and only just got Evolution two days ago (second hand copy as I could never find it anywhere here in Australia).

As you can tell from my name, my favourite is Aoi. I really like the concepts behind Aikido and plus it just look really cool too. I've always been into characters with good reversals, throws and fast evasive-type moves (back with Tekken I liked Jun Kazama and Ling Xiaou). For some reason, big powerful moves just don't......click with me.

I think Aoi is great, but now that I just got Evo I'm really thrown off by some of her move changes! I can see why they did some things like limiting her [8] + [K] + [G] to only work on downed opponents, but it's going to take me a while to get used to her other changes hehe. I used to be able to say I could easily manage all her moves, but now..... I pretty much can't even pull off her new [4] [3] + [P] [K] at all!

Don't worry Aoi, I still love you even though you're like an evil twin now! I also like Pai, and from the limited experience so far I think Goh seems pretty great, despite the face even a mother couldn't love.

/versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Hello and welcome to the board. Cool people abound around here. I'm glad you're enjoying VF and that you've found all the excellent info on this site.

Hope you get a chance to play VF5 when it comes out. In the mean time I hope you can meet up with Australia's other VF'ers.

19. baltocat22

baltocat22 Member

the reason why i picked jacky is he is by far the best charter for my style of fighting ( fast and quick) sice i played vf4 and he is very easy to use because you dont have to worry about going into different stances to fight

my only problem is his lack of defence (but who need defence when you have a killer offence)

20. Although I'm not big fan of Jet Li, Wong Fei Hong is my favorite Chinese hero. Student of the Shaolin style, and a martial arts legend in his own time.

Besides, how can you *not* pick a guy who fights blindfolded? When I saw that item, I knew this guy was the one for me.
    Well, that and the Rutger Hauer film "Blind Fury".

But if they change Brad to the "Ong-Bak: Thai Warrior" style of Muay Thai {as I love badass styles of fighting), I might have to reconsider...