1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why'd you choose your main character?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pinokkio, Aug 5, 2005.

1. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Does anyone else want to kill themselves when they read posts in this thread that are half-serious?

2. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

Does anyone else want to kill themselves when they read posts in this thread that are half-serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, only when i read your posts

3. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Painty_J said:

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, only when i read your posts

[/ QUOTE ]

true that

4. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

I love you guys.

5. KagemaruBunshin

KagemaruBunshin New Member

I loved VF ever since I started the very first one. Sure it was super polygon shaped and the faces looked pasted onto a paper mache doll but the movement was superb. Nothing beats the VF series for it's super fun gameplay.

As for characters...I never really liked any of them but I stick to those that suit my style of fighting. I'm usually the Ryu-type guy who goes for balance rather than style so getting used to Akira was normal. But that grew old so I developed a habit of mastering every single character!!

The ones that work with me best are Jacky, Sarah, Pai, Kagemaru, Lion and Brad. Oh I like the grapplers too. Aoi and Goh top my list for super cool and sadistic moves. Plus I've always loved and prefered the Japanese Martial Arts to Freestyle Shootfighting and Wrestling.

Jacky and Sarah for good balance, combos and nasty variety.

Brad for sneakiness. (Can't comment more since he's new)

Kagemaru for being just so damn user friendly and overwhelmingly powerful for a quick and cheap win.

Lion for speed, cocky arrogance and reliability.

Aoi for reach, variety of nasty looking throws and power.

Goh for quick combos, great throws and a sadistic personality to match mine.

But as far as favourite (as it relates to how much I use the character...) Lion Rafale takes the lead.

Quite user friendly as well...good variety...timing, distancing and cunning is key if you want to excel with this guy. plus that 5-hit throw is just 'Off-The-Chart' Cool!!! (So what if it doesn't damage much?!?)

But a definite choice?

6. Old_V3

Old_V3 Member

my favorite character is Lei-Fei mainly because that me and him both know the same style and I like Akira also just that he's kinda hard to use

7. nocturne

nocturne New Member

Does no ne like Shun di?

damn he was the first guy i really liked but i also like lau and jeffrey.

8. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    I dabbled in VF1, then played VF2 casually on the Saturn. I picked Sarah because I like playing the villains.

Except she's not a villain anymore. She had more personality when she was brainwashed.

9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

I like Lau because of the ridiculously unnecessary noises he makes every time he does anything…

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I play Jeff as my main, but I choose him... Accidentaly. I was playing Shun and LeiFei for a long time, becasue I like their style plus I like gameplay full of yomi and confusion. And to them, I was trying another cfhars which I like - like Aoi, Akira, Lion... Stylish ones.
    And then, at one of czech tourneys was polish player with Jeff. I don't like t hat char before, but after that tourney I just wish to try one thing which he was doing in VS. I take Jeff, start to finding how to perform that thing... And I am trying with him from that time till now, and it is some time now /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Now I like yomi and confussion still a lot, but brutal power is nice too /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

Thank you Wacha

12. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    i switched from Jeffry to Akira the moment I saw the evo trailer(arcade) for the first time and Akira did [6]+[P][4]. At the moment I was sold on him and have never really looked back at Jeffry.... I think I made the right choice!

13. Devilman

Devilman Member

Back to VF2, I picked Jacky because I am a Bruce Lee fan, and Wolf because I like wrestlers in fighting games lol

I've never quit playing with them, but as time passes, I play a bit less with Jacky... the "striking machine" isn't what I like anymore, I'm more into submissions, ground fighting etc, that's the way I fight, and that's the way I want to play, I wish someday VF will include a real ground fighting aspect which is primordial in modern martial arts, but it will probably mean the end of charcters such as Lau, Pai, Shun, Lion and Lei Fei lol

In VF4 Evo, I'm trying to learn to play with Vanessa, because brazilian jiu jitsu is my favorite martial art and I like her "MMA" feeling, but she lacks submissions after her takedown, an armbar or a choke would be welcome in such situation, that's usualy why jiu jitsu practitionners take their opponent to the ground lol

I like Goh too, not really the way he looks, but I like to play with him, I think Goh and Vanessa are about to become my main characters, with Wolf and Jacky /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like Jeffry too lol

14. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Hmmm,
    I loved the fact that Vane is so unlike most of the female fighting game characters out there. The whole "not afraid to pound your skull in with a rock if need be" attitude made her stand apart and also made her my first choice based purely on the general design.

Goh remains the one I like the gameplay most with. And it was with him that I dug into the nitty-gritty of the system (I actually bought my PS2 to play this game ^_^ )

And Lau seems to be the one I fight best with. Maybe because I only started using him (after a hiatus since VFR... -_-' ) after I figured the mechanics of VF4 out.

15. OAG_3K

OAG_3K Active Member

I didn't take VF in a competitive sense until VF4 Evo I like Akira due the damaging combos and technical style of play.

16. Warm

Warm Member

I started VF with VF:EVO using Brad because it seemed like he could do a lot of damage and be kinda tricky with his stance movement but he really didn't suit me, too many disadvantages to work around and I grew tired of using him. Then I used Kage but his movement seemed really superfluous and I didn't feel like looking at it all the time. Well, long story short, I've gotten to hunter or higher with all the characters over a long time span of off and on VF play and I don't like any of them. So, I just use akira because he makes the games faster and the speed at which he moves feels a lot better visually than the heavier characters, the pokey characters, the delayed/tricky movement characters or kage.

17. wasted

wasted Well-Known Member

In VF1 I took Kage,
    in VF2 I took Sarah,
    in VF3 I picked up Taka and trained a truck loads with Shun.

The reason why I didn't continue with Kage or Sarah was simply because I got bored of them, and I fell in love with the entertaiment value that Shun gave me that no other character gave.

Then in VF4 I countinued with Shun and again in VF4evo.
    I love Shun, he's probably the most entertaining fighting game characters to use and extremely interesting without ever getting bored.
    Once you start the drunken and tipsy path, forever will dominate your destiny,,, until the hang over.

(my 2ndaries are Lau, Wolf and Jeffry)
    Lau because he's the simple fast deadly combo machine with no BS.
    Wolf because I love Pro-Wrestlng throws, damage, power.
    Jeffry because I love damage, and brutality.

18. akira_lee

akira_lee Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    OAG_3K said:

I didn't take VF in a competitive sense until VF4 Evo I like Akira due the damaging combos and technical style of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

back in vf3 time, akira was one of the most damaging character, but i think it's less damaging in vf4 (that is for basic moves, but you can still do some good damage with the right combo and the right timing)

first time i touched vf1, i tried all characters, and finally stuck with akira. then continues with akira until now. i did play kage in vf3 for secondary character ever since i saw kyasao played (just couldn't help it /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

19. Saiten

Saiten Active Member

When I first played this game I had one goal in mind; to find the perfect defense. At first my character of choice was Vanessa. She was ok but I only used half her moves (defensive style) because I'm a defensive player.

Then I found Aoi who has a more near perfect defense game. Aoi's counters = free damage since it's not possible to counter her counters. Also I dont have to worry about people spaming random moves. More defense means less chance of getting hit. So theoretically since Aoi has the best defense she'd get hit the least which gives her the greatest chance of victory out of all the characters. With that kind of potential how could I not choose Aoi?

20. will_killebrew

will_killebrew New Member

my main charecter is akira because im a tekken head and love playing with kazuya and jin he most resemble them [2_][6][P]+[K]