1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

WNF 4.5 - SoCal VF5:FS Tournament

Discussion in 'News' started by Plague, Aug 6, 2012.

By Plague on Aug 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM
  1. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [​IMG] OK! Got the same challenges to overcome. This week it's Persona 4 Arena and then an even greater challenge looms with TTT2. The key to victory over these upstarts is a bunch of entries to the VF5:FS tournament!

This is the time to show up and play all the games you love. This is really important if you love VF5:Final Showdown. Continued support from Level|Up requires continued support for the VF community. We've got the spot as long as we want it. Wanting it means showing up and entering the tournament every week. That being said...

IT'S COMBO TIME!

Last week, L_A, DRE and Phillip S took the top spots. Turns out that Phillip S also earned $50 of IndustryVFX money by winning the WNF Weekly Rising Star Player Award. Don't sit on your ass at home and let that happen again. Come and do some BIG DAMAGE!

The extra cash incentive continues!

WNFs are hosted at the Super Arcade in Walnut, California with the tourney to start ~ 9 PM PST. Casuals start at 7 PM PST. $5 to get in. $5 to enter the tournament.

Last season saw 30+ players entered two weeks in a row. Now we've seen huge numbers for post EVO action: 16 one week, 19 the next, and even more this last week. Looking for 40+ for 4.5. Let's do this!

This week, well have our own stream running at Twitch.TV/VFSocal

For past summaries of the previous events, please check the Wednesday Night Fights - Weekly VF5FS Tournaments Summary Thread. For those that don't live in the Los Angeles area, the event (Persona 4 Arena, and SSF4:AE) will be streamed by Level|Up on the Level|Up Live Channel.

To watch VF, make sure to tune in to Twitch.TV/VFSocal

Update: Results and Archive of event are up.
    WNF 4.5 VF5FS Challonge Bracket
    [​IMG] WNF 4.5 VF5FS Tournament - Part 1
    [​IMG] WNF 4.5 VF5FS Tournament - Finals

Winners: L_A, DRE, Cyborg Jon

Weekly Rising Star Player Award goes to Cyborg Jon! Dude got PAID! $50 of Industry VFX money and whatever the payout was for 3rd place.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Plague, Aug 6, 2012.

1. cruzlink2
      cruzlink2
      I hope there is a stream for this on Thursday!. This is my thing to do after work Thursdays!.
    2. Chanchai
      Chanchai
      Glad you're putting this on your own stream, perhaps a chance we'll see as much of the tournament as possible?

And of course glad that Wednesday Night Fights is keeping it, keep bringing the players ^_^

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TOMORROW!
    3. steelbaz
      steelbaz
      Yeah I was helping Brisal test out his stream this week for WNF, since nobody else seemed to want to.. He has a great setup so everything should run smoothly. Goodluck Brisal!!
    4. SicwiDiT
      SicwiDiT
      cant make it today
    5. L_A
      L_A
      Ill be there for sure from around 7pm.
    6. Brisal73
      Brisal73
      dont expect anything to fancy when it comes to the stream.
      I couldn't get the Banners and Player inserts prepared in time
      But you should have:
      A killer smooth stream
      one Mic for a commentator
      A cam to see the players
    7. Chanchai
      Chanchai
      I really enjoyed this week's Wednesday Night Fights! Particularly the Winner's Bracket matches!

Some highlights to me:

* LA Akira and Dre are always fun to watch, imo. Casuals or competitive, though especially competitive.

* LA Akira vs. Brisal was a very entertaining match and was very tense in the first two games. The first two games were some of the best I've seen of Brisal and people thought he was going to knock LA into the loser's bracket (as Shidosha pointed out, there was one moment he was unable to hit-check in the moment under the pressure, had he done the hit-check properly LA Akira would have had to climb out of loser's bracket). Good stuff to both players in this match!

* Aris! Wow, Tekken's Aris looks like he is going to be an awesome VF player if he sticks with the game. While you can see some holes in his game, what you really see when you watch this guy is the thing he REALLY BRINGS to the table: razor-sharp responsive play, deliberate non-fluke actions (which will only improve with more competitive experience against good players), really fast minor adjustments, and you can see he's clearly trying to find what works. His game still looks like a Tekken/VF hybrid with emphasis placed on Tekken spacing and the few ways he can apply pressure the way he would in Tekken. But when this guy masters the VF flow and more importantly the VF options and mindgames and advanced mindgames--I think SoCal is going to have a new real star player that'll rival SoCal players like Goat Cheese Blues, LA Akira, Dre, and PD. Aris, please keep focus on VF, you are going to be awesome at it! It's obvious what you bring being an amazing Tekken player, but you showed that you really bring it to VF too and it's only a matter of time, practice, and competition!

* RIP (Jacky) and Floe (Akira) are both getting better. I like seeing the improvements. That said, I know people hype it up, but I am so not crazy about the kickflip abuse from Rip. It's his signature, it entertains some, but that stuff is going to get him bodied against a lot of people. But truth be told, last night he got away with it as usual. Tips against the kickflip: to punish it from blocking, you have to delay whatever attack you are planning to use to punish it. It's a tricky move because the guard-stun is crazy long, long enough to messup VF's very lenient buffer and without going into Dojo and practicing against it, it is very tricky to punish after blocking it. Of course it's easy to punish it after an evade or if it whiffs--but practice punishing it after blocking it.

* I like the Jean player, personally wish he won the match against Rip ^_^ I forgot his name though [​IMG]

* Was fun to see Jon (Akira) beat Rip and get the New Star Player Award! Good stuff!

* Heart-breaking match that sends you into Edvard Munch's "The Scream" was Rip vs. Brisal. I blame tournament nerves for a ton of dropped combos on Brisal's end. These kept the matches very close, but it was rough. I think after all the kickflips, quite a few players were ready to see Taka lay the smackdown on Jacky lol.

* I had fun watching HowBoutSum vs. Phantom Harlock!

* Harlock confirms, that "it's so perfectly a white guy sports commentator" voice is his natural voice. He's not emulating! I think it's great! People start thinking they're watching an NBA game or something ^_^

* Have to admit, the Megaphone added "something" to the stream. Some person from another part of the arcade kept talking into the megaphone, guessing he was an organizer or employee? Hilarious part for me is seeing LA Akira lose patience with it while commentating!

Anyways, great stuff this week on Wednesday Night Fights, keep it up!

P.S. Thanks for the stream, Brisal! It was smooth 98% of the time (as opposed to 40-60%). It was dedicated to VF so we got to see a lot more matches (though I admit, winner's bracket matches were way better than loser's bracket matches but we got to see everything and there were gems in loser's)! It gave us VF players a lot to chat about and reduce the stream monsterin' ^_^ Great first job, keep it up!

Oh yeah, I hope you bring back The Late Show sometime! I love the concept!
    8. steelbaz
      steelbaz
      I checked the stream for a little bit last night, wanted to see if all Brisal's hard work payed off, and it did. To bad I missed the kick flip spam [​IMG]
    9. Brisal73
      Brisal73
      Chanchai thank you for your thoughts. I wish more players would do the same.

Nerves definitely got to me on my matches. With a player like LA Akira you cannot screw up and get away with it.

With RIP I vow to never lose to him again in a tournament setting [​IMG]
      I think RIP would be a better player if he got away from the kick flip game a bit, but I think it's unfortunate that this move is now a part of who he is as a VF player and I sort of blame myself for not being able to punish it when I play against him.

The megaphone shit was annoying as hell, especially since we were directly in line of the one for Street Fighter and the guy on the Persona setup was having conversations through it. The pace was LOUD, HOT, and CROWDED

But with all that being said we still had a descent turnout, plus a few eyeballs checking out the game while waiting their turn at Persona 4.

A BIG thanks to LA Akira and Phantom for helping me out with commentary and brackets. Doing the brackets, handling the stream, and commenatting would have been to much for just one person.

ALSO additional thanks to my Galaxy Nexus phone and its 4g connection from Verizon. It only dissapointing me once and that was during casuals
      Chanchai likes this.
    10. Chanchai
      Chanchai
      Gotta post it here, but. WNF 4.6 was awesome!

The stream had a rough night, but the Top 3 Matches were great and that's all I'll say except to post the links here for people to watch the Top 3!

Start here at 16:45 to catch the Winner's Bracket Final
      http://www.twitch.tv/vfsocal/b/328798271

Then watch the Loser's Final and the Grand Finals here:
      http://www.twitch.tv/vfsocal/b/328800494

Grats to the Top 3 players (not wanting to spoil), you guys did an awesome job out there last night!
    11. Brisal73
      Brisal73
      Thanks Chanchai. Yeah the stream was up and down all night. At least I found a quicker way to reset when it happens again.

Remember... I am literally using the 4g connection on my phone as the hot spot. So shit happens.

Next week will be better. LA Akira is taking the next couple of weeks off while on vacation so the show falls to me.

Again this is all great practice for the bigger Socal event on August 25th
      Chanchai likes this.