1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

WOLF advice

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by CainMarko, May 1, 2002.

1. CainMarko

CainMarko Member

Sup all, new to the forums. Any way Im wondering if anyone can offer advice against characters like Lau, Vanessa or Akira who have quick striking moves. Im having problems counter attacking with reliable moves that dont leave me terribly open. And throws arent always there and I always seem to get interrupted when I do try to counter.

2. Grubic

Grubic New Member

I try to keep a medium distance from them. When in too close they can just peck away at you. But if you are too far then you can throw them. Use different attacks to keep them on their toes. d,f+K is always nice. It knocks them down and will help you get into the proper distance to combat their speed/quickness. Least thats what I try to do.

3. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Try f,d+K instead, you might have more success. As for heavy pressure characters attacking you, first thing is to get some serious practice with Wolf. Second your gonna want to check out the counter move list in the FAQs here on VFDC for each character to see what your available options are. Check frame stats to understand the game mechanics more deeply. And quite frankly, up your defense : learn to dodge, how to break a chain and with which move, regular TEs, etc. Everyone can take off damage and combo and throw, but not everyone can defend correctly, thats whats gonna make you into a better player.

4. CainMarko

CainMarko Member

Thanx, my main problem is breaking chains and countering efficiently. But thanx for the heads up about the FAQ (I wasnt aware one existed).

5. kusojiji

kusojiji New Member

If you're able, check out some of the videos on the NoMercy website (Creed often posts the links). Watch how other players move Wolf around, keeping distance and (similarly to the problem both you and I have) getting pummeled if they can't extend the distance. Kiro uses Vanessa very similarly (very good at keeping the distances happening) and moving back and laterally. I'm not refined enough a player to worry too much about frame counts as most people beat out Wolf, but I find its important to know what his fastest moves are, even from a standpoint of interrupting. I have problems too keeping aggressive folks at bay other than with D+P. That, lots of backward and lateral movement and good okizeme will generally get me through.

Cheers

Cam

6. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

Don't forget about b+P -> juggle, or P / d+P -> hcb+P,P, evade+P+K+G...