1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

wolf Final Showdown improve or Deteriorate

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by charleypk222, Jul 22, 2012.

1. charleypk222

charleypk222 Well-Known Member

i play wolf from vf1 to vf4 , now i just restart to play vf5fs
    wolf look to have a lot of useful grab but, got so many useless blow and very slow ,i realy have hard time vs very aggressive player using quick move ,my feeling wolf miss a quick useful blow

thank you

2. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

In your post, I tend to think you're describing how he plays generally. As for quick strikes, Wolf did end up with [3][P], which is a 14f mid. Since most neutral [P] are 12 frames now, that actually works in Wolf's favor, since his is 12 frames too. Both of these address major shortcomings.

The difficulty in landing Burning Hammer (it has a 16 frame startup vs the normal 10 frame startup for most throws) vs. good opponents probably weakens his throw game significantly, given that PGS does 70 damage if they tech rather than 80. His new catch throws are great, however, and RAW is much more useful. [1][P]+[K] and [3][K]+[G] are great moves and give Wolf a threatening strike game at crazy ranges. His down attack [3][K] is also a lot more useful and safe than his old ones as well.

I think Wolf has the tools to compete with the rest of the cast and the changes to his strike game mean you have to play him a bit differently. Making every time they techroll something they dread is even easier now. Being smart about what setups you use and having good defense is a must as usual, but the tools at your disposal are more diverse but perhaps some are not as rewarding, like throws. Wolf has never been an accessible character to play well, but I think the type of buffs he received to his basic attacks definitely help a lot.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Previous post covered a lot of things pretty nicely, I will just to add few more things:

Wolf is NOT fast. He should NOT be. He is STRONG. His damage can easily go crazy. You can not have speed and damage at the same time (unless you are Jacky [​IMG] ), that is expectable design issue.

Now to your points:

1) Wolf have useful grabs
    Hell yes. He is not the strongest grappler out there (Taka is for sure); but he still make it in the top3 I think. His only problem is that all his most damaging throws ([8][4][2][6][P][+][G] / [8][6][2][4][P][+][G] / [4][2][6][P][+][G]) are all 16 frames. That makes them more of guessing game instead of -10 punishment.

2) Wolf got many useless blow
    I do not agree. Wolf get some hits to his game ([4][6][P][+][K] is not antihigh anymore is what comes to my mind 1st); but he gets insane amount of new, strong tools. He is better that he was before, at least from what I see and feel

3)Wolf is very slow
    Great power comes with great responsibility. Or, in this case, comes with slower execution. Still not as bad as you may think - 12f [P] (ie normal speed, great improvement); 12f [2][P]; 14f [3][P]; 14f [6][2][4][P]... not that much, but he is powerhouse, not speedhouse.

4) i realy have hard time vs very aggressive player using quick move ,my feeling wolf miss a quick useful blow
    Except quick moves noted above..?
    Ok. If except them, then you should realize that except being slow, wolf have awesome evasive tools:
    * [6][2][K] can almost instantly (I believe it needs cca 3 frames to do so) dodge any high attack for pretty decent damage. Works even mid-strings
    * [6][K][+][G] can dodge any highP-kindof strings easily (I believe it needs cca 5 frames to do so) for pretty BIG stagger
    * [9][P][+][K] can jump over any low attack quickly (cca 3 frames to be considered airborne)
    * [4][4][P][+][G] works decently against single-strike pokes and leads to insane 3-way guessing game

Besides this, Wolf have extremely strong mid-range moves. If you are vs someone quick and aggressive, you do NOT wish to go toe-to-toe with him. You wish to stay mid-range and threaten him with moves like [3][K][+][G] whenever he try to close the gap

4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    As far as I know only Burning Hammer (270 [6][P][+][G] ) is 16 frames. All other throws of his are 10 frames (except [6][P][+][G] which is 9).

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    You are completely correct; I was just OMW here to say I was wrong here. I was testing it today and it is exactly as you say.
    Dunno how I come to this conclusion [​IMG]

BTW spend few hours in the lab with Wolf today; tomorrow when I will have spare time, I will post some funny stuff I found [​IMG]