1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf: Final Tuned

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Myke, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Wolf
    Text - Astro

Attacking pressure is life

There are no huge changes to his attacking style, but there have been additions of showy throws to add pressure. You should also pay attention to the attacks that make the opponent fear the throws.

To utilise the powerful throws to the maximum ...

The one thing that Wolf can claim as his special ability is his plentiful throws. But, to use throws you have to also use attacks effectively. So, we also have to first check the fine changes to Wolf's attacks.

The first thing that you should take notice of is his main source of damage screw hook ([6][3][2][1][4][P]). Its attack class is as has been the case up until now special mid, and it possesses elbow class speed. You can expect good damage after hitting it on counter, so the chances to use it are many.

Whereas in the last game it was strong when used at +2, when in open foot stance the opponent could stuff it. However, the attacking qualities have been muchly improved, so it will definitely beat out a [2][P] irrespective of foot stance now.

Next, the new move Sobatt ([4][K]) should be noticed. The reach is long, the execution is middle kick class, so it's a fairly good move. Because of this move, when separated from the opponent, and also when directly pressuring nitaku, the number of moves that you can confuse your opponents with has increased.

Other than that, the thing that you want to use when attacking the opponents ukemi is the hit throws from the new move Ogre Slash ([6][3][2][1][4][P]+[K]). The direction to dodge the ogre slash is towards Wolf's stomach, which is the same as the screw hook, but on normal hit you can expect some good guaranteed damage.

Captions

The B2 tommohawk flash is a powerful move. Even on guard, the gap is small. On large counter, a low throw is guaranteed. If you manage to connect this each time, you'll get big damage!

The Ogre slash, which gives good damage on normal hits, and is useful in okizemi.

About the change moves

The A2 knee blast will on normal hit lead into [2][P] - [2_][3][6][P] combo, which is tempting. However, if guarded it allows for a elbow class punisher, so the risk is also large.

The B2 tommahawk slash ([6][P]+[K]) is unexpectedly quick at 15 frames. It's only -1 on guard, so you can use it freely.

Footnotes

The A1 knee lift ([6][K]) is throw counterable on guard, a smaller gap than the A2 knee blast. After counterhit, there are simple combos on all characters which are appealing.

Also, the B1 push upper ([6][P]+[K]) in this game will fairly much allow a [4][P] guaranteed after breaking the opponents guard.

Source: Arcadia Issue 52
    Translated by: noodalls

2. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Sounds like more eye candy and less actual improvement. As much as I would like to cream over f+pk, isn't that just a normal high attack? Special high? b+k is a nice addition, but they need quit it with this -1 on hit crap.

3. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like more eye candy and less actual improvement

[/ QUOTE ]

The new evo Jacky [3][P][P][P] mC style counter (which isn't written about here), the [4][K] (finally a safe, good, midtool that can be used in spacing), new lowthrow [1][1][P]+[K]+[G], the F5 throw, evadekilling specialhigh massive damage slap [6][3][2][1][4][P]+[K] and a new hitthrow besides that and old knee back.

Yeah - not much actual improvment.

/KiwE

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

excellent, thanks Noodals and Myke.

something not mentioned here is [9][P] (hit) [6][P]+[G]. This used to be a regular hit throw. Now the throw aspect creates a stagger on the opponent which appears to create a guaranteed throw set up. Be fast and stay away from the GS unless you can perform the non-catch throw variety.

GE

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

also, wolf's b,df+p now leads into a hit throw, not sure on the damage but i see a few wolfs taking advantage of this much more than the old version.

wolf seems to play alot the same, i think i'm only really interested in his b+k, it's a goh style K knock away attack which seems great for distancing and creating setups^^.

the db,f+ppp seems okay, but in most guaranteed cases you could probably still get a better option with b+p unless it was exact elbow counterable, atleast now he does have a reliable safe 14 frame knockdown.

btw, is there any info in his shining wizard, what's the difference between the two versions and is it escapable now? (etc) if anybody knows /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Some stuff I saw from the VF4FT book about wolf in NYC this weekend.
    hbc+pk is listed as special high, this is something.
    11pkg does 75 damage, this is nice now that wolf has two high damage lowthrows.
    F5 (270back+pg) is 75 damage, 5 more than his evo throw options.
    d+pk,b now gives the d+p cut switch now. nice i guess
    d/f+pg's combo / toekick stunner from the back looks quite nice.
    the b+k thing looks decent for spacing.
    is this old news?

7. J6Commander

J6Commander Well-Known Member

So the [1][1][P]+[K]+[G] is 75 and [3][3][P]+[K]+[G] is 70. I had them mixed up before. Okay, that means [1][1][P]+[K]+[G] for those yummy whiffed low p from now on. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The [2][P]+[K] low punch reversal always result into a shining wizard now. So the stupid switch that does no damage is totally gone now. Thank god.

Wolf's old hit throw [4][K]+[G],[P]+[G] no longer leaves wolf on the ground, so he can continue to pressure his opponent. This is a great improvement since my wolf game lives on oki and along with tech-roll games. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. ChiefGutti

ChiefGutti Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ChiefGutti
    XBL:
    ChiefGuttiWolf
    Yes, when playing over in Japan I noticed that 90% of the Wolf players always executed Shining Wizard after the Low Punch Cutter. The reason for this is as Plasma said, guaranteed damage. The excluding 10% went for the optional attack from the back version so that they could still have the advantage after the combo setup (if opponent tech rolls or remains on ground). Except for against Kage players who duck the b+p elbow. Although you could guess for a low throw every one that I saw went straight for the Shining Wizard.

9. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

thanks shang, about the F5, do you know if the throw proporties are like KS? (range/height wise) i think it looks like the same whiff animation.

btw, i still like the low P cut switch, i hope u are right about the exectution, it was for position switching. besides, if u do a b+p -- B+k+Gk against a wall it's a free pounce. and it's a great oki tool on it's own.

10. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

I think wolf's on the right direction of change in FT: stronger more brutal throws and improved attacks. The changes obviously show EVO wolf is well underpowered. The b+k is badly needed for him, I look forward to this move. Something that you can toss out there and not get creamed if it's blocked. b+k > f+k > old f+k/b,f+pk is a good progression for risk/reward. hcb+pk I don't see it to be a too useful of a move. low punch cut improvement should be great, use switch as situation dictates and the rest of the times I'd go for the shining wizards. Winning with wolf in evo is hard, hopefully winning in FT is a bit easier.

p.s. the book listed a bunch of old moves that have been changed, among them the ff+p closeline, not sure how. b,d/f+p looks like wolf does a 360 spin into a punch of sort. The toekick stunner from the back looked like a DDT thing... mad owned points...

It should be fun!

11. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Here is one of my favorite characters in VF, hopefully this will clear up some of the issues discussed earlier, and give you guys some insights to how Wolf is improved in FT.

<font color="white"> Wolf </font>

<font color="white"> Change Moves </font>

A1 Knee Lift

[6][K]
    This is the same as Evo knee, lower risk and lower reward than the Knee Blast. Personally, I prefer this move over the Knee Blast.

A2 Knee Blast

[6][K]
    This is the old ver C knee. It will float on any hit, it floats a bit lower than the Short Shoulder. You should be more careful using this move since it is -14 on guard, furthermore, even though the motion looks like a jumping attack, it will not beat low attacks in most cases.

B1 Push Up

[6][P]+[K]
    This is mostly the same move from Evo except that now when you guard break with this move, [4][P] is harder for the struggler to guard. This makes it useful in situations where the opponent is likely to guard such as wall situation.

B2 Tomahawk Flash

[6][P]+[K]
    A special high attack that execute in 15 frames. On hit you have a nitaku situation between HCB[P] or throw, and on Large Counter you have a guaranteed low throw. If you can hit an opponent in the air you will get a down. This move is only -1 on guard, which makes it a very useful move.

<font color="white"> -------------------------------------------------------------------------- </font>

<font color="white"> Overvew </font>

In Final Tuned, Wolf is improved to live up to the title of the best throw character in the game. Not only did he gain new high damaging throws, but the animations of his throws have been improved to make it more eye catching. There are small changes to his game which needs to be noted, but one of the most important new moves is his new [4][K], which gives Wolf a good move to use on backdashing. This move will be further analyzed later. It seems like Wolf has been improved in both his throwing and striking game, and there doesn’t seem to be anything being weakened, so it’s exciting to see how Wolf will play now in Final Tuned.

<font color="white"> -------------------------------------------------------------------------- </font>

<font color="white"> Main Changes </font>

[1][6][P][P][P] – This is a series of three high elbows, which should be used as a counter tool for -14 moves. It not only will get you 46 pts of damage, but also give you a down.

[6][6][P] – The animation has been changed a bit for this move, but besides that, it remains the same as before.

[9][P]->[P]+[G] – The animation has been changed so Wolf and the opponent stays standing after the hit throw. This puts Wolf at +6 after the hit, which will give Wolf more chances to get more damage.

[4][3][P] – The execution for this move is very slow, but it is half circular, mid, and only -1 on guard. On any hit it will give a head collapse, which Wolf can follow with his new HCF[P]+[G] throw. (Same command as GS but different throw if you hit it on a head collapse. 45 damage or 55 damage if you do the fast version.)

[4][K] – A middle kick with rather long reach which will stagger a crouching opponent. Uncounterable on guard and -1 on normal hit, but +8 on any counter.

HCB[P]+[K]-> (on hit) [P]+[G] – A half circular special high that will put you behind the opponent for a back throw.

[4][K]+[G]-> (on hit) [P]+[G] – Same as before except now Wolf remains standing after the hit throw, furthermore, you can now hit this move behind the opponent.

(While Running) [6_][P]+[K]+[G] – Same as before except the animation is now a bit slower.

[3][P]+[G]->[4][6][K] – Not only is the motion for the throw changed, you can now do follow up damage to the throw; also, because the throw will move the opponent behind you, this is now a good move for ring outs.

[3][3][P]+[G] – You can no longer input [P]+[G] for the variation, and the motion has been lengthened, the damage remains the same.

270[4][P]+[G] – A new high damage throw with a long throw reach distance that ends in the [4] direction. The negative point is that if escaped, Wolf is at -8.

(During Change) [4][P]+[G] – Motion changed.
    Side throws (Also the [4][6] or [6][4] versions) – Motion changed.

(Opponent Crouching) [1][1][P]+[K]+[G] – A high damage low throw, -6 if escaped.

Side notes: The catch option after RAW is now easier to hit compared to before. You can now catch throw an opponent’s back. His sidestep attack (throw) is now harder to escape, and the escape motion has been changed.

<font color="white"> Execution Frames for Key Moves </font>

[P] 13
    HCB [P] 14
    [2_] qcf [P] 14
    [4][P] 15
    [3][P] 15
    [6][P] 16
    [2_][3][P] 16
    [2_] or [1][K] 16
    [4][K] 16
    [6][K] (A1) 17
    [6][K] (A2) 17
    [4][K]+[G] 17
    [3][K] 19
    [4][6][P]+[K] 20
    [3][P]+[K] 20

Source: Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned Master Guide

12. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

270+ – A new high damage throw with a long throw reach distance that ends in the direction. The negative point is that if escaped, Wolf is at -8

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!

13. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I think we should qualify on how his throw game has improved. F5 puts you at a distinct disadvantage when escaped, all of his throws entail the exact same escape inputs as in Evo with no real change in weighting (so the opponent's options for TE don't change from one version to the next and this includes low throws).

They look better and deal more damage in some instances but I think the best improvement is that Wolf now remains standing after certain throws/hit throws. That is probably the best change to his game.

As plasma indicated his game relies on Yomi and Oki. I think, because of the relative slowness of his moves when compared against others, that this is true of most Wolf players. So this change in throws is likely the best news.

GE

14. Pai_Garu

Shining Wizard is not escapable contrary to previous speculations.

15. Throwmasta

Throwmasta Well-Known Member

Srider,

what do you mean by "motion" changed for some of his throws. Do you mean animations? Or something else? Also, is his [3_][3_][P]+[G] still the brainbuster? You stated that it has a longer motion now (?)

16. Pai_Garu

Yes, motion changed is indeed an animation change, but that does not limit the change to only that. For example, the short shoulder motion has been tweaked to avoid many high attacks during it's execution.

Yes [3][3][P]+[G] is mostly the same throw, except the animation for the throw (after it connects) is changed.

You can just watch some of the wolf clips and see some of these changes for yourself.

17. Throwmasta

Throwmasta Well-Known Member

thanks!

"You can just watch some of the wolf clips and see some of these changes for yourself."

I can't watch shit on this stupid computer, that's why I ask dumb questions often...

18. DeLune

DeLune Well-Known Member

[3][P]+[G],[4][6][K].

What is the correct timing for the [4][6][K]? I either get a knee or nothing at all.

19. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

sup delune.

i had troubles with that too while i was in japan, but i managed to break it.

i think you time the b,f+k just before the opponent hits the ground. you can try to gain some sort of rythm in doing the folloup according to the throw animation kindda like when timing the toe stunner or shining wizard. it will become easier when you gain some sort of command rythm.

kindda like a df+p+g, delay, b,f+k.

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Toe Kick Stunner after the Low Punch Cut~Switch
    The following chart shows how likely it is to combo the Toe Kick Stunner after the Low Punch Cut~Switch ([2][P]+[K][4]).

Akira : O
    Jacky: /\
    Sarah: X
    Lau: X
    Pai: O
    Wolf: O
    Jeffry: O
    Kage: X
    Shun: X
    Lion: X
    Aoi: O
    Lei: O
    Vanessa: X
    Goh: /\
    Brad: X

(O = possible, X = impossible, /\ = maybe)

Change ~ Switch ~ Push Combos
    ([6][P]+[G] - [6][P]+[G] - [4][P]+[G])

1. [4][K]+[G] (hit) [P]+[G] (50 pts)
    Works on All characters.

2. [4][6][P]+[K] - [2][P] - [6][K] (62 pts)
    Same as combo 3 I think, but easier to connect.

3. [4][6][P]+[K] - (neutral) [P][P] - [6][K] (72 pts)
    Max damage for Jacky, Jeffry, Wolf, Lion, Shun.

Source: Arcadia 54 (Nov 2004)