1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

wolf stuff: low throwing tech rolls

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by alantan, Oct 17, 2001.

1. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

Hi,

picking up Wolf. Well, his punch is just as useful as ever. After a MC high P, wolf basically have loads of initiative to knee or throw.

Anyway new stuff,
    tech rolls. Seriously can ANYONE (someone from UK??) low throw a tech roll with a high percentage of success like maybe 80%?? With CPU I can only get like err.. 10-20% success rate which is soo bad that it is impossible to be used in vs matches. If it is not possible, I will rather go in with a CD uppercut. Still wolf is improved now as he can punish tech rolls. The problem with wolf is getting initiative and if oponent tech rolls, Wolf have loads of initiative.

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I've seen people do it with good consistancy, but it can be avoided by holding U to free step into the screen.

Something interesting, if you see the VF4 PS2 movie at ign.com (I think it's the third one), you can see Vanessa K+G Akira, then low throw his ukemi (TR). If you watch it on pause clicking forward frame by frame, you can see two things: proper time to low throw a TR'er, and the HUGE range of Vanessa's low throws, which from defensive style are catch throws (muay thai style they're normal low throws).

She grabs Akira without dashing forward at all from about 2/3rds of the way across the screen! It's also interesting to note that while these are catch throws, they can be escaped; making them the first low catch throws, and the first escape-able catch throws. Vanessa, she's so special ;). Sorry, I know you were talking about Wolf.

You mentioned in another post about Wolf's b+P not knocking down. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I have a magazine that shows Wolf doing CD upper (counter hit), then b+P, then KS (his new 3/4 circle throw). Maybe the b+P's hit property changes during stagger?

UK guy also mentioned this tactic.

Spotlite

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Yeah, the hit properties must change with Wolf's Drop Elbow when the opponent is staggered. There are a lot of setups that take advantage of this - very deadly.

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    <font color=orange>Booyah daddy mac! I'm stylin!</font color=orange>

4. Electro_Jacky

Electro_Jacky Well-Known Member

PSN:
    electrolex
    XBL:
    electro lex
    I think he's refering to low throwing people out of techrolls not when the techroll has ended.

THAT'S.......IT.......NOW!!!

5. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    So am I. I don't think Akira's techroll has completely ended in that video clip.

Spotlite

6. alantan

ya, I think the timing for low throw is early in the tech roll. You DO NOT wait until the tech roll is over. I do not know if it is because of my slow reflex. I always crouch dash in immediately after seeing the tech roll.

I did not know it can be escaped by a side step. like that not that useful in perfecting it as it becomes a guessing game. Can it be interrupted by a buffered attack??

another thing is Wolf's d/f,d/f P K G low throw. Wolf recover much earlier than he seems. I can't seem to get the pick up the first few time I did that throw cuz I always hit the commands too late waiting for him to go back to a standing position.

7. Crew Wolf

Crew Wolf Active Member

I'm a hardcore Tekken Tag player, and King is able to low throw an opponent out of a tech roll. I loved the tactic, as it proved very useful, and am very excited to discover Sega nabbed it. Does anyone know if the properties are the same as they are in tekken? I don't really know how to describe it, so I won't try. Guess that limits this question to VF/Tekken players. Thanks!

Ultimately, we are all dead men...

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Look for my post titled "Arcadia Notes" and you'll find explanations on tech rolling, and the vulnerabilities associated with different knockdown positions (head towards-face down, etc).

9. alantan

I just read on VF4 daily that to prevent a tech roll low throw you can buffer in an attack. But since you have to buffer it in, it is basically a guessing game for you to see whether the opponent is throwing or attacking.