1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf's d+K+G

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Nov 3, 1999.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm new to VF3tb and am finding this site very helpful. Mr. Chan's article on reversals was especially good for a beginner like me. Now I am trying to learn Wolf's moves and have a question. I read the article in the War Room on changes from VF3 to Vf3tb. It says that one of the changes is that Wolf's d+K low kick has been weakened and its animation changed. It says to get his old d+k, you have to input either d+K+G or d+K+E. However, when I press d+K+G or d+K+E, it looks identical to d+K. Is there something defective about my game? Or is it my eyes? What looks different?

Wolfstudent

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The difference is very slight (although the distinction is important)--it's probably your eyes. Once you get more used to him, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to tell the two apart.

ice-9 | Sennin

3. Guest

Guest Guest

What is the slight difference and how is it important? I don't understand how a slight animation change can be important, but I guess I have a lot to learn.

Wolfstudent

4. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

I think the difference is that Wolf leans back slightly farther in the old version. It is more useful for avoiding (or interrupting) mid attacks.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

When MC -> throw, d+K gives you a 2 frame window whereas d+K+E gives you a one frame window. I could be wrong, but I do think d+K+E has a longer recovery time. Also, as Nutlog pointed out, Wolf crouches longer in the d+K+E animation.

ice-9 | Sennin

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Also, d+K+E has longer reach. (eg. You can do hcb+P,P; d+K+E, u+K but you can't use d+K in this case)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I need to revive this old post. I have spent some time comparing Wolf's d+K+E and d+K attacks using the US DC version of VF3tb. I can see absolutely no difference.
    Ice-9 and Nutlog pointed out:
    ::Also, as Nutlog pointed out, Wolf crouches longer in the d+K+E animation.::

Not as far as I can see.

Mike Chuang wrote:
    ::Also, d+K+E has longer reach. (eg. You can do hcb+P,P; d+K+E, u+K but you can't use d+K in this case)::
    It is easy for me to do hcb+P,P,d+K,u+K. If you have USDC VF3tb, try it and you should see for yourself that what I am saying is accurate.
    So I am really puzzled. Is this something that got left out of the US DC VF3TB?
    Is it in the Japanese DC version? (Someone like ice-9, who has both versions can easily check this.) Did anybody ever actually check for themselves to see if it's in the arcade version? Or was it just something everybody read and assumed was true? Or is there just something else I am missing? Help is appreciated.
    Imashroom

8. Guest

Guest Guest

well, i guess i maybe wrong for the length of the d+K+E /images/icons/smile.gif , but i recall hearing they said "use of d+K+E in combo are preferred due to its slightly longer reach" in the Gamest Competetive Edge video Wolf section.

so...donno anyway to confirm this, someone come up with experiment i guess heheh. But really, the most important difference lies within the fr stats, d+K+E/d+k+G are easier to get "waste fr throw" then d+K.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Okay, Mike, I conducted an experiment that shows you were indeed right about the length of the d+(KE|K+G) being longer than that of the d+K. I put Wolf vs. Wolf in Akira's dojo stage in training mode, then adjusted the foot of my Wolf so that it touches the front of the foremost white baseline (where he starts). If I then press d+(K+E|K+G) it connects, but d+K doesn't. (But despite this, I can still do f>b+PP,d+K,u+K!) I then also noticed (for the first time) that his lead foot comes up slightly faster in d+K than in the other kick. I guess that is what Nutlog and ice-9 are referring to when they say he crouches longer in the d+(K+E|K+G) version. So I am glad to say my suspicions appear to have been wrong, and you guys were mostly right -- d+(K+E|K+G) does seem to be a different move than d+K. All's right with the world.
    Imashroom