1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf's fast mids

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Zass, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Wolf's arrow knuckle, [3] [P] is now 14f, just like his screw hook. It's much safer on block than the screw hook, and is advantage on hit.

In Vanilla, the comet hook [1] [P] (16f) would stagger crouching opponents, and was mentioned as one of wolf's most important mids in the VF5 brady games guide. At that time, arrow knuckle was 15f.

Now that arrow knuckle is tied for fastest mid, and that comet hook has lost its stagger on crouch property, should the arrow knuckle now be used over the comet hook in most situations?

2. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    Well I'm no VF expert, but if Comet Hook has lost its stagger property on crouching players, there really isn’t any reason to use it over Arrow Knuckle at all. That’s just my assumption.

3. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

[3][P] is a better move to use on it's own as you have an easier command. Screw Hook however does have the half circular property and is better in combos. As your standard elbow class move, I'd go with [3][P].

[1][P] does have a use if you delay the followup [P] to fish for a counter hit and then connect with the hit throw for nice damage (and it looks awesome too). It's not as fast as [3][P] though, so don't use it as much.

4. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Similar to other games, screw hook can be useful if you know you're going to get a counter hit out of it and you can hit check it reliably. It's also much easier to execute than [3][P] from a crouch state, for ex: after a [2][P] or whatever.

[3][P] is safe enough to use a lot more than screw hook, as a poke or in small advantage, especially since both are 14f. It also seems to have a lot of range.

Looking at [1][P]'s high followup ..it is very delay-able but I'm not too keen on it because it's high and linear. Maybe tricks like [9][P]+[K] or OM/backdash after [1][P] connects to make the opponent hesitate? Might be worth a look at that, although I'm thinking Wolf has better and more straightforward 16f mids.

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

yeah, they are all good to be honest.

arrow knuckle is now a crazy good poke, and it has the range to keep resetting the choice game, the good thing is that wolf has big semi circlars to capitalize on the range, and trap an evader.

screw hook is best as a followup, dont go poking around with the screw, otherwise you might get screwed :) - it's too punishable on it's own. jab on hit, jab on block, and go for the screw hook- go for it when an opponent gets too cocky with the offense, all they need is a small disadvantage to be juggled,

db +p is good for the followup, because you can even do this on block or a whiff. the followup will damage opponent that attacks after the first hit is unsucessful. and yes you can tap guard and choose to do anything you want after the first hit. but the followup now makes it alittle more feared.... i dont think it was his best poke in vanila VF5 though, i still think it's the arrow knuckle even when it was slower.

have fun.

to be honest with you, df_P from a crouched state now gets clean advantage off any hit and is safe stuff, definatley incorporate that into your poking game,

6. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    1PP is awful. FC 3P on the otherhand is godly, from enough advantage or with a bit of distance between you and your opponent, you can poke with it by doing 33P, CH leads to a stagger which you can easily launch if they aren't a master struggler.