1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Words Of Wisdom.

Discussion in 'General' started by samtheseed, Oct 17, 2007.

1. samtheseed

samtheseed Well-Known Member

PSN:
    The_Beggar_So
    XBL:
    Shun is Drunk
    The purpose of this thread is to share "Words of Wisdom". Since your attitude and mindset is an important factor in a fight, I thought we could share some sage advice from old masters. So I'll start: This was an interview with Bruce Lee...

"Question: What are your thoughts when facing an opponent?
    Bruce: There is no opponent.
    Question: Why is that?
    Bruce: Because the word ''l'' does not exist.
    A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself (shows his fist).
    Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it."

2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I got one:

It is just a game.

----
    Punish everything, do max damage in combos, space (DS Vane is the best at this), throw whenever you can, set traps.

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Advice given by...

Itazan:
    "Break your own bad habits by looking for bad habits in your opponent."

Various SoCal VF'ers (over the last 6 years):
    "Plague, watch what's happening after you throw out an attack."
    "Plague, your dodging at advantage. Watch what's happening on the screen."
    "Plague, have some sort of plan when you techroll. Do things based on what you think is coming next rather than a bunch of random stuff."
    "Plague, you're attacking at disadvantage and getting killed. Watch what's happening on the screen."
    "Plague, learn the system and let the frames work for you."

4. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

"Don't fuck up the input." - Myke

5. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

That's such a good line. And it's universal in all fighting games too.

6. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Get familiar with your character's movements to the point where you dont have to look at him/her to know where they are standing. Then try to focus all of your attention on opponent.

This advice might be inate to some but I had to learn to stop looking at my own character as much and it really helped my gameplay.

Ladon once said:
    "VF is all about momentum. If I have the momentum then I set the pace of the fight. Therefore, in order for you to gain the momentum you have to knock me off my momentum. That's why when you get on a roll, I have to disrupt your attack patterns with some out-of-the-norm attacks of my own. If I continue to fight the same as I was fighting when I lost the round, I will lose the next round.
    So take the momentum, and keep it, if you lose it, regain it by not doing the same thing you were doing when you lost it."
    (not verbatim, just what I remembered)

7. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

good words herkdawgiii taught me not to look at my character and to focus on the other guy and it helped slow the game down ala neo I am the one style.

8. GameOver

GameOver Well-Known Member

Bruce Lee is the next level of "The Man".

9. samtheseed

PSN:
    The_Beggar_So
    XBL:
    Shun is Drunk
    "Nobody can hurt me without my permission."
    Mohandas Gandhi.

Hahaha, thats awesome

10. samtheseed

PSN:
    The_Beggar_So
    XBL:
    Shun is Drunk
    "The dance of battle is always played to the same impatient rhythm. What begins in a surge of violent motion is always reduced to the perfectly still."'
    -Sun Tzu

Think about this one, we always start the game hard and fast but it eventually comes down to the 5th round where both players are able to take out the other with one good hit.

11. samtheseed

PSN:
    The_Beggar_So
    XBL:
    Shun is Drunk
    How about being unpredictable? For example... punch, punch, punch.
    You do that about twice it works... the 3rd time the guy knows to block up and then instead of PPP, u do a leg sweep.

12. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    No.

Punches are advantage on guard and crouching guard beats punch and low sweep.

13. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    One in regards to forums:

Edit posts.

As far as being random; that is called button mashing... KEEP IT MORAL.

14. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

An experienced player will stop a masher's PPP with a low punch interrupt. Sweep is too slow and risky, depending on the character of course.

In the most general sense, you want to mix mid attacks and throws.
    --Mid attack to make them stand.
    --Throw to make them crouch.

15. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    on momentum

That's really good advice, for most of the VF characters. It particularly applies to Shun, what with the building up of drinks and all. Also Brad and LeiFei, they scare me when they starting ducking and dashing.

Bear in mind though that defense oriented characters like Aoi, Goh and DS Vanessa don't neceserrily have to build up momentum to pressure the opponent /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

16. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Low sweeps are great. Just not the way he suggested using it.

Some advice I'd give is once you're comfortable with your own setups and combos etc, focus on watching what your opponent's reactions are to certain situations. If you know what their moves are that they can fuzzy guard after being guarded for example, try and pick up on how often they rely on it to get them out of trouble. Then when it comes around again nail them with a low throw or delayed high throw etc. You can start of with just focusing on 1 or 2 specific situations until they become natural and then expand it.

It's basic but in my opinion things like this are more important than being able to do 4 points of extra damage with a character/stance specific combo that a lot of people seem to focus on. Combo damage shouldn't be your priority as long as you have a good stable follow-up that does good damage. You can learn the max damage combos after you're decent at the game. What's the point of learning combos from moves you're not good enough to land?

I'd say the 3 most important things are (assuming inputs aren't a problem as that just comes with constant practice):

Knowing the main situations when you can fuzzy and when you have to use other defensive techniques.

Hit checking and acting accordingly on a consistent basis.

Predicting your opponent and watching their habits.

Above all though, just play all the time. There's so much in this game that just comes naturally after doing it over and over.

17. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Re: on momentum

Here's an agressive Aoi player who uses momemtum and sets the pace of the fight. This fight's just an example of what Ladon was talking about.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccoMlPrYsNg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccoMlPrYsNg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

18. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

It seems like from the video and from my experience that a knockdown resets the momentum because you have to back up for fear of a rising attack. Very smart move sega am2. I really agree with this momentum building effect. With eileen it helps a lot. Especially once they become afraid of her catch throw that alone can win matches as long as you mix it in well. The thing is that it's not always easy to build momentum and it can be broken easily but I get what you're saying because I believe in it too.

19. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Knockdown doesn't really reset momentum in general. If it resets it for you then wake-up game isn't your strong point. You shouldn't be afraid of rising attacks unless you have very little life left. Rising attacks can be beat by a well-timed move.

Since in VF, when two attacks collide at the same time, the attack that has greater damage will win. Rising attacks take 20 points of damage. In my character's case, Kage, I would use 9K+G since it takes 25 points of damage.

Beating rising attacks with an attack of your own is only one option. Another is just blocking your opponent's rising attack. You have advantage when you do. Even better if your opponent delays their rising attack, you have a guaranteed counter.

20. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yes, what Oioron said, it is character dependent, but you should be able to keep the pressure on when you knock someone down. The fallen character has options, but the standing character almost always has better options with more damage potential as well as the potential to keep pressuring.