1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by nxw0016, May 29, 2002.

1. anonimuss

anonimuss Member

Re: World Cup Links

its 6 am and us is up 3-1 on portugal at half, GO YANKS!!!

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

USA beats Portugal 3-2!!!! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

S. Korea is next. Can't wait!

3. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Being a Korean-American, you can imagine my identity crisis now. But the match is at 2:25 AM Monday, EST? Egads.

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Not me -- I'm an American in Japan, it's clear who I think should get their asses pounded. :)

Must suck for guys in the states and the UK w/ the fucked up time lag.

5. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Half-time: England 1 Argentina 0 /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Come on England!

Edit: Full-time: England 1 Argentina 0 /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Must suck for guys in the states and the UK w/ the fucked up time lag.

What? UK is 8 hours behind... matches at 7am, 10am and 12:30am aren't that bad...

7. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

They got what was coming to them!!
    And we have something coming to us!!

8. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

One hell of a game!, even better than the 5-1 Germany thrashing for me.
    the 'possibility' of Argentina, France, Portugal, on a long shot Germany, going out first round!!

9. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Yeah, probably beats the Germany game for me, too - purely because this game was more important.

>the 'possibility' of Argentina, France, Portugal, on a long shot Germany, going out first round!!

Yeh, that would be nice. Italy have just lost, too, though I wouldn't exactly count them out just yet /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Teams need to be wary of Brazil. They aren't the best any more, but they are doing well, still have lots of world class players, and have the psychological edge (due to them being less noticed this time around; overshadowed by Argentina, France and Italy).

10. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Man, that Korea/US game was tight! Of course, I am like under 4 cups of coffee now, ha ving slept at 5 AM, but it was well worth it.

11. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

France OUT, Argentina OUT...... /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

I wish Italy won't be the next victim..........

Will tonight be another sleepless night!? Wanna watch China vs Turkey (well, just want to see through the Chinese first three world cup games, hope to see a goal) at 2:30, and Italy vs Mexico at 7:30......

12. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

ow, so many surprises so far! I really had Argentina going to final groupings... /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Two great match-ups I will have to watch on tape. /versus/images/icons/confused.gif early meetings tomorrow. Now, time to work on Kumite for an hour. gg

13. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

Geez... This World Cup is FULL of surprises... I waited 16 years for qualification of my national team to WC finals and they lost to Korea 2:0, then were slaughtered by Portugal 4:0... Damn... Next match will be the last - i wish they won with USA /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

Then... Go England, go!!! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

14. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Although I'm usually against Poland, I hope they'll defeat the US... they call "football" - "soccer" there! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

15. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Question, What do you guys call football there, I mean pigskin, touchdown, field goal kind of football.

And I'm not really up to date on soccer news so if you could fill me in, who is U.S playing next, and why do they suck so bad?

16. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Why do you guys call a game where one can catch and pass the ball with their hands "football"? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif No, don't reply - I'm not trying to start a flame war, really.

17. Luya

Luya Active Member

Wow! 4 African teams out especially Cameroon and Nigerian(what a disappointment). Hope Senegal will do the best.

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

YOU GUYS ARE JUST JEALOUS OF OUR SUPERIOR MEASUREMENT SYSTEM WHICH IMPLEMENTS INCHES, FEET, YARDS, AND MILES -- AND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEASUREMENTS FOR VOLUME LIKE PINTS, QUARTS, GALLONS!!!

BEING ABLE TO PUNT IS REASON ENOUGH TO CALL THE SPORT FOOTBALL! MEASURING THE FIELD IN YARDS IS REASON ENOUGH TO CALL THE SPORT FOOTBALL! YOU GUYS MUST BE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND WHAT A YARD IS!!!

NOT TO MENTION THAT A MERRY CAN FOOTBALL HAS THE MOST SMARTEST SCORING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD!!!! [/MOST STUPIDEST CHANCHAI POST]

Anyways... silliness aside, this year's World Cup is certainly full of surprises. I wish the US had better coverage of the games though... As far as I know, football (soccer) is actually fairly popular in the US, but not in the way of media and organization.

[stupid comment]I mean, I thought the number of mini-vans driven by older women was a good sign of how popular the sport is here.[/stupid comment]

-Chanchai

19. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Luya do you live in Zaire/Congo ?

Iff you are, its me Fishie, how have you been ?

20. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

>YOU GUYS ARE JUST JEALOUS OF OUR SUPERIOR MEASUREMENT SYSTEM WHICH IMPLEMENTS INCHES, FEET, YARDS, AND MILES -- AND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEASUREMENTS FOR VOLUME LIKE PINTS, QUARTS, GALLONS!!!

Obviously I know you are joking, but just thought I'd add that football does use yards. The penalty spot is always 12 yards away from the goal line, the box is always 18 yards, etc.

The pitch width is different per pitch, though, which is slightly strange perhaps.