1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Would a Free2Play VF with VF1 graphics be a hit like Minecraft?

Discussion in 'General' started by Adamay, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

I feel like contemporary massively successful games such as Minecraft and Fortnite have that kind of polygonal pixelated cartoonish graphic style that have such appeal for all ages and every industry knows how profitable the kid demographic is. It will also appeal to the retro community who played VF1.

Since the FGC is overcrowded with Tekken being the undisputed successful juggernaut that it is today in the 3D genre. What if SEGA decides to go backwards instead of pushing graphical technology and go to it's roots? The hardware requirements for a game that runs smoothly in many platforms as possible is a key for success.

I think that a perfect mix of accessibility by being free to play and having VF1 graphics, a well planed marketability in all social media, a top notch netcode like Killer Instinct never seen before in a Japanese fighting game and the constant support from the developers there will be no way VF fails.

Another example is World of Warcraft which didn't require a high end PC to be played thanks to it's art direction. SEGA doesn't need to invest in a new engine to create a new VF.

Imagine an elevated VF anniversary with all the current roster and with time adding more with updates like League of Legend and Overwatch does. Create a lore and hype behind every character and gameplay mechanic.

beanboy likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

@Adamay Interesting idea.
    That might make alot of money, on android and mobile devices too.
    Heck! If it did happen, I myself will download it and play it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

There's no real triple AAA fighting game that has this kind of free to play model. The closest one is DOA6 but the requirements to run it smoothly makes it more restrictive to reach as many players as possible. KI had a similar case but it was only for PC and XBOX exclusive. VF would not have that problem.

VF with such a retro art style would not only be accessible but very distinctive and the future possibilities for merchandising is endless. Those vibrant colours that made WoW, LoL, Overwatch, Minecraft and Fortnite would translate well if done right for SEGA.

[​IMG]

VF needs to be in all platforms including mobiles but of course it would be a different version of the home platforms since you need a stick for hardcore play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. beanboy

That's interesting dude! I think if they use, retro styled blocky models, rich bright colours, might go well with it and make it more, visually appealing too.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  5. beanboy

@Adamay
    And for fun, throw in Pepsi man, a Cocoa Cola man and that letter man from VF3TB, to draw in casuals and have some fun matches. The blocky model art style, will do those characters justice.:)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

A study and comparison on strengths and weaknesses of each billionaire games in which the marketing strategy can be adapted by SEGA for a VF

7. beanboy

Wow! Interesting vids.
    At one time, I actually thought that minecraft and roblox, were the same game.:p

"Are you playing the losing game?"
    That is such a depressing, click bait title for a vid.:p

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  8. beanboy

A mobile version? That would be cool!:D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  9. Technocrow

Technocrow Active Member

I don't think mobile is the platform of choice for any fighting game. Precision and stable online are necessary not just to work well, but to work properly at all. No one wants to play a fighting game with a touch screen or at least take it seriously. I like the F2P idea though

10. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

The mobile version would be a complete separate thing than the main home platform version as most battle royales have.

I recently saw this on YouTube talking about the next big thing in online play could be a Riot Games fighting game. I just wish it was AM2 instead of Riot. It could easily be a VF game. There isn't a decent free to play realistic 3D fighting game on the market with decent netcode. All the free 2 play games are 2D with supernatural elements to it.

11. beanboy

I just watched the vid.
    Wow! A League of Legends fighting game? That might work.:)

But it'll be tough for them to compete, with the overhyped, AAA Evo friendly fighting games (as gamers call it), out there. And unfortunately, to compete with them, they'll have no choice, but to simply nerf and balance patch their fighting game, to become Evo + Fgc + mainstream gamer friendly, just to fit the Evo + Fgc + so called mainstream gamer scene, and gain favour with Evo pro's and noobs, who in the majority of cases, are not accustomed, to advanced, deep competitive fighting games.

If however, their fighting game was released back in the old days, when fighting games were extreme to the max, then heck yeah!! They would make, alot of money, wouldn't have to nerf patch characters, and they'll have lots and lots of fans and players.

If however, that League of Legends fighting game, does release one day, I think I might check it out. No promises. But I might check it out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  12. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

There's no AAA fighting game franchise that has such solid support from their developers like MOBAs and battle royale games have with the exception of Tekken7. If Tekken 7 was free to play like LOL. It would be bigger than it already is.

13. beanboy

Parts of that vid, seem to be a secret advertising campaign, to hype up the Cannon Bros dudes, and their new fighting game.:p

14. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people that still dig the old school VF1 graphics.

beanboy likes this.
  15. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    I don't think you could just have the VF1 style and hope people will play it. Minecraft has around 91 million players because they always have something to do. A mission to solve, food to be found and planted, items to trade, buildings to be built, weapons to be upgraded etc. When you boot up Minecraft there are literally hundreds of things to do and that's what keeps bringing people back time and time again.

A FTP VF done in the style of the first game would need hundreds of things to keep the players coming back for more. Maybe a DOA styled survival game where you collect items upon defeating opponents,items that you collect to create cosmetics or something similar.

I think Sega are slowly (very slowly) introducing VF back into the spotlight (4 characters from VF were recently added to Sega Heroes the mobile match 3 game) I think FS showed how a FTP VF could be presented and it works to a degree.

16. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Slowly ?

It's been already 10 years since "the last VF game" that it is just a final version from a game of 2006 ...

Recently, i'm really starting to tell myself now that maybe we will never have a new Virtua Fighter again.

Just look at SEGA, just look how this company is sleepy in comparison with other video game companies.

They act like a weak and cheap company, while it is totally not the case.

17. beanboy

@Adamay I think it might work.