1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Wow...Death scythe for the win..(OS Love!!!)

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by Chefboy_OB, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Chefboy_OB

Chefboy_OB Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Truewiseman
    Okay so I just got down watching one of Acebreaker's vids. In it he used /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in Offensive after Vanessa's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif string.

oh heres the video for reference:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxOx2hsPsgA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxOx2hsPsgA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Of course it hit on counter to give him massive damage...but this got me thinking about that move.

I do not use it enough...not nearly...

I was also considering all the different options I had after that particular string...I mean thats the point...to use the advantage it gives for mixups right?

Well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is +6 on hit. I used to just mixup between doing her catch throw extension( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, but /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is such a better option in that situation.

It executes in 16f so it's going to beat out pretty much everything in the game, it's half-circular so you can catch those who can't live without side-stepping, and it's special high, so it'll hit when your opponent tries to low punch. That's too good.

So now I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there that happens to play OS Vanessa. What do you think about the move, and does anyone else have any set-ups for it?

2. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    I play Vanessa in both stances, though I favor OS. I like to keep the pressure with her, so this option is a very good one. After the combination mentioned I usually do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, sometimes other moves, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif as well. If you want my opinion, it is a great tactic /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    Also /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif will beat low punches and everyone's except for Eileen's punch. It's -8 on guard though, so it's risky.

3. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    The main strengths of [4] [6] [P] [P] [4] [P] is that a) it's a natural combo on hit b) it's +2 on block.

Acebreaker also does [4] [6] [K] into takedown after it. Because he can.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  4. RedSonRising

RedSonRising Well-Known Member

im havin a lil trouble seeing what your talkin about.. theres one good string at the 2:10 mark (last round i think) that ends with a circular punch ive never seen/used that i wanna try..

when does the combo/move you're referencing start?

5. Chefboy_OB

XBL:
    Truewiseman
    That point is actually exactly what I'm speaking about. I apologize for not pointing out where in the vid it was located.

The sequence goes: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

Then he decides to knee him when he gets back up for whatever reason...but thats beside the point...

I was looking for set-ups for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in particular cause it seems like that and OM /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif are really the only time Vanessa puts her rebounce to use.

6. RedSonRising

RedSonRising Well-Known Member

gotcha.. saved the video and put it on my ipod.. lil tough to make out on a nano screen but its something to watch.. been trying anything to learn new moves and applications.. havent tried it yet (me and the dojo dont get along so i do all my training in the quest mode) but it just looks so awesome..

between Akira and Nessa my thumbs are gettin numb trying to keep up with everything you guys throw at em.. tryin tho..

7. BLACKLAC

BLACKLAC Well-Known Member

learn something new everyday .......thanks guys

8. Chefboy_OB

XBL:
    Truewiseman
    black...I remember you. You have a solid Vanessa man. I couldn't compete

9. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    hahaha

10. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

He uses 66+K in this situation because if opponent doesn't tech it will hit him on the ground.
    This is backstagger situation so the opponent is likely to Quick rise which doesn't allow him to escape for a few frames. If he QRs and guards low it will stagger and if he guards standing you still have options like delay P, 2/8K etc so it's a good option select. But afaik you can't time the 66+K to cover no tech, QR AND TR situations, if you think opponent will TR and want to go for backstagger you'll have to do 66+K a bit later and it won't hit the opponent if you guessed wrong and he chosed not to tech.

11. BLACKLAC

BLACKLAC Well-Known Member

I remember you GG's man /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

thanks again for showing this vid ......its opened new doors in my OS game

12. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    I recently (only one year late) found another setup for Death Scythe: i try it after DS floats that end with stance switch knee to OS.

Let me elaborate:

Say i hit with DS [3] [P] + [K] and do the [P] + [K] [P], [P], [P] [P] [P] + [K] + [G] float. Pretty standard stuff. Up to now i tried finding the correct timing on OS [6] [6] [K] to hit both rolling and prone opponents or tried my luck with the odd [2] [K] [P] [P] + [K] + [G], not very rewarding stuff.

What i've been trying to do lately, with a descent rate of success, is hold the forward button and advance while my opponent falls to the ground. If i see they stay on the ground i am already close, thus i have enough time to stomp. If they techroll i have two options: if i think they are going to do anything else but guard i hit the kick button and [6_] [K] scores vanessa another float! If i think they will guard i do [3] [K] [P] + [K] + [G] - connects on low guard and gives vanessa positive frames on high guard.

Why [3] [K] instead of [6] [P] you ask? Well to be honest, my reflexes are not that good so i reckon, if they stay on the ground i get a stomp if they move the kick will connect. Even if [3] [K] is a bit slower than [6] [P] I've not come across somebody who would duck the second hit, i think it's because things are quite frantic atm for them, having jut ate a DS float and having to immediately defend against a second one. Besides it has better reach.

So it's essentially 2 choice for vanessa. What's even better is that, if i really guess wrong and they get up with low guard and Death Scythe whiffs, the followup [4] [3] [P] + [K] can still nail them. Of course that happens quite frequently anyway but with the added stress of having just techrolleded at float and findeing themselves still under pressure etc etc the russian hook's magic seems to work even better.

Comment? Suggestions?

13. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

That kick (death scythe) is one of vane's best, imo. Try starting a round with it sometime. You'd be surprised at the stuff it will beat out at +/-0

Recently though, I've been using the HAWK after the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif setup. I've been seeing a few people who just duck after getting hit with that, so the HAWK takes care of it. However, if they low punch, death scythe is better because it is a special high. That means it won't hit a crouching opponent unless they are attacking.

I still use the move rarely. I like having it as a surprise up my sleeve. But for people who like using it a lot, try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif cancelling it into a throw/mid mixup!

14. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

Yes Hawk, its a special mid that will crush every attack. I sometimes use it after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Its pretty much the same set ups in VF4 Evo. The Really special thing about Vanessa is her ability to get backstaggers vs t/r. I'd like to tell what I know but I dont want to be on UTube with my own shit. Vanessa can CRUSH her opponents without mercy if used right. And I dont even know all her moves yet.

15. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Yeah, and whatever move HAWK won't crush it will just fly over :sick: It's a very bad move in my books. Yes, i still use it, but that's because my input skills are so bad i never manage to pull the [4] [K] + [G] hit throw, particularly in the heat of a match. If i could, i'd be exlusively using that instead and laughing at all of you guys.

-15 for an attack that whiffs so often = :ROTFL:

Anyway, to bring the thread back on track, i haven't seen anybody mention that on a successul head crumble with death scythe, knee-kick-jab-hook works too. Even if it's easier to do than the rusian hook rebounce, and certainly less flashy, it appears to do the the same damage. I thought i'd let you know because i suspect that, with the russian hook becoming a special high instead of a mid in VF5R thus probably losing its rebounc properties, this will become the default combo.

16. The_Shunjinkogh

The_Shunjinkogh Well-Known Member

The scythe is deadly. I use all the time and really go in for the kill! I just hate it when it's blocked, things aren't so groovy afterwards. But it's still Vanessa's best move. Go Vanessa Go! Wowowowowo! ;-)