1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

XBL Training Sessions

Discussion in 'Xbox Live' started by Ytpme_Secaps, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    I would like to set up a weekly (or more) room for training.

It would be a room were the object is not to keep winning but to train along with the rest of the room.
    Things I would like to do are...

"Moral matches" (where the focus is to hit check and recognize advantage, guard after being hit, continue offense after landing a hit etc...)

Training drills ( fuzzy from -2, crouch fuzzy from -5) after only one good session of this you will see the potential of this crucial defensive technique. We can go into character specific moves so you will know when to implement the fuzzy guard...(aka "practical usage")

Discussion on frames and how knowledge of them can and will improve your game, offensive and defensive theory. But most important we will attempt to put theory into practice.

It is a beautiful thing when the world of VF opens up, and it helps to have others trekking thru the same woods as yourself.

I desperately need this type of practice, and if anyone here is interested in something like this please let me know.

2. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Long story short.

Make your training room and invite others. Talk about tech. Spend some matches testing tech with each other. Play matches (by playing to win, but also setting goals in your own mind to use said tech during the match, and see how it works and what you should adjust).

But DON'T spend 3+ hours in the room memorizing frames and practicing hit-checking with others. You can and should totally train that on your own. The time spent with others should be TESTING that training and not actually doing that training.

You can always do dojo mode at anytime. You DON'T always get to play with other good players. Treat that time preciously by training in ways you CAN'T train on your own, and don't use it on practicing on things you CAN train on your own

UroboroSx, SDS_Overfiend1 and Tricky like this.
  3. Ytpme_Secaps

XBL:
    Jami San
    My Long Story Short,

while I dont disagree, sometimes we are in a room where the mere mention of frames or advanced defensive tech is greeted with many a moan and groan.
    The main purpose of the room is less about the actaul info learned, and more about creating an environment to learn openly where everyone there is wanting new info, so the moans and groans dont occur.

Craigbot likes this.
  4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

We probably play in different types of rooms, but if this has been your experience you might be playing in the wrong rooms.

5. Ytpme_Secaps

XBL:
    Jami San
    See, I dont want to just abandon a particular player because he isnt into a certain depth yet.
    I only get better by playing those that are better, this is true. But i dont think it means I stop playing in an awesome room with people that are truly good people and funny, and every big name that has dropped by has loved these rooms as well. I simply endevour to raise the level of the whole group.

Craigbot and BLACKSTAR like this.
  6. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    ^^^^ That is awesome. I really hope your room is successful, and I really hope new players will want to join up (it will be for their own good).

I'm just saying, don't forget the importance of serious matches for it. It is BY FAR the most important thing. I really hope your room is successful

Tricky likes this.
  7. Ytpme_Secaps

XBL:
    Jami San
    great points blackstar thnx.

8. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Rule 1 : You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Ytpme_Secaps, VFnumbers and BLACKSTAR like this.
  9. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i

That clip is legit!! My mind has just been blown into several pieces!!

[​IMG]

^^^^^^ how I felt after watching the clip

VFnumbers and ShinyBrentford like this.
  10. Tricky

I try to join all types of rooms, but I avoid one like the plague unless it's all high level players. If it's more than 4 people in a room (including me) I will leave if everyone there isn't high level. It's just too long a wait. I can do a round or two, but it gets too much if I happen to lose and now have to wait 30 min to play again and not learn from watching like I would if it were higher level play. Sadly I find more players of this skill level prefer those huge rooms, so I tend not to play them.

I know at least a few other players share my sentiment in room size regard. Please inv me if the room is small though. I'll hang around for like 20 or so min if I have the time to play.

SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
  11. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Less talk more action... Stop talking so much and listen.. Pay attention to whats going on.. Level through trial and error.

MarlyJay and Tricky like this.
  12. Vanilla_Tears

Vanilla_Tears Well-Known Member

But if you get beat, then your opponent must be good enough to be `high level`, no?

13. Tricky

Everyone can win it's FS, especially 1 match every 10. I lose all the time even though i can beat very strong players. Being super light has it's obvious drawbacks. If i'm in a room like that I'll want to use a sub character to keep things interesting and it's very possible I'll lose there too. I don't mind losing, it's waiting that I mind.

UroboroSx and ExzetyXat1 like this.
  14. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I like what is being here learning through trial error and repetition is the best way but you don't always see what you have to train on unless you are reminded of it because it isn't obvious to you like EDC or fuzzy guarding at -5 many new players don't know what to look for if it is happening infront of them. If they are reminded of the less obvious things and practice it in real matches time and time again they improve. Talking doesn't do much we all know that but if talking reminds us of what we should be doing and we attempt to use it real matches afterwards it becomes fresh in our minds. That is how I beat my most annoying habits out of my system by having someone mention something I never stopped to notice and focusing on it real matches over and over again until I got better at it.

I hope this is what Jami was trying to say because if so it makes sense then. He talks about it in the training room and the people get better by doing later on in real matches because it was brought up to them in the training room earlier. It also helps if it is done against people that will punish you for doing it wrong too that way you know you are doing it the wrong way. It takes time to create good habits but when you do you remember them for a long time. This room would only be the first step obviously and plenty of trail and error will be the next step after that.

15. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I felt this discussion should have its own thread instead of inside the XBL Good Games thread.

I moved the original post into its own thread but messed up and merged the early responses into the first post and I don't know how to undo it. :oops:

I quoted players responses as best I could. If you notice something is off give me or another mod a PM. Thanks.

16. Ytpme_Secaps

XBL:
    Jami San
    the move makes sense, thanx.