1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox ain't doing so well

Discussion in 'General' started by HighKing, May 15, 2002.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Re: Hmmm... Exclusivity...

Uhm Europe sucks:)

2. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

I dunno about that .
    We have some kickass cheeses over here .

3. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

US and PAL are the larger markets, however, many of the best developers (Capcom, Namco, Square, and of course, Sega/AM2) are in Japan, and Japan is the primary market for these developers. And unfortunately, the Xbox already lost these developers.

On another note, the biggest US developer, Electronic Arts, recently announced that it is pursuing online development with Sony, but not MS, largely because MS is being an arse. This is a biggie, as EA is the principal developer of sports games, the staple gaming genera in the US.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/16/technology/16GAME.html>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/16/technology/16GAME.html</a>

I'm a big fan of brie myself. That square hunk of processed oil that we call American cheese isn't good for much.

4. blackshadow

blackshadow Well-Known Member

Re: What Is MS Thinking?

yeh they r makin a tojam n earl 3 fo xbox

5. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Hey big guy

How much money do you think MS lost with it's first iterations of IE, Office, Windows CE?

Now let see IE - Dominant | Office - Dominant | Pocket PC - On it's way, seriously eating into Palm, I think it may evn be over 50% now.

My point, not needed to be said

6. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Maybe EA doesn't want to fuck with Sega.

When it comes to online sports title, really who is fucking with Sega, I just don't think they want to pair off against Sega and get stomped.

7. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Re: Hey big guy

Heh, I dont think you could read the sarcasm. I was saying, microsoft can lose a lil money cuz they have soo much.

8. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

The EA's Gauntlet Has Already Been Thrown Down

<a target="_blank" href=http://insider.ign.com/articles/356/356076p1.html>Another link with sales figures to gander at...</a>

As for EA not wanting to get jiggy with Sega, <a target="_blank" href=http://ps2.ign.com/articles/359/359563p1.html>it has already happened right here.</a> Madden NFL 2003 vs. Sega NFL 2k3...

<font color=white>Madden NFL 2003 will "take full advantage of the PlayStation 2 console's online capabilities" when it launches in August, and other Electronic Arts titles will follow suit later this year...</font color=white>

Oooo... It's all that, baby! You know I'm already loving it...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,97523,00.asp>Here's PCWorld's answer to the topic at hand.</a>

9. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Re: The EA's Gauntlet Has Already Been Thrown Down

Nobody wants to lose money, even if they have billions.

10. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Speaking of which..........

At the Sega shareholders conferance Sega said they were going to release ALL their sports titles at the SAME TIME as EA's similar ones, to see just who has the more popular and better iteration, whoo hoo

11. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

PSM: US Console Sales Report

This is taken from PSM May 2002 Issue:

<font color=white>"War Is Hell
    According to sales figures published in late March, PS2 has sold more than 8.3 million unites in the U.S. (since October 2001) and is currently selling more than 65,000 a week. Xbox and GameCube havesold 1.4 million and 1.3 million systems, respectively, and are running nearly neck-and-neck in weekly sales at a pace of approximately 30,000 units every seven days. It's more important to note that the PS2 sold nearly twice as many systems during its first three months of sale (back in the fall of 2000) than Xbox or GameCube hve in their first four months -- despite shortages.

It would take a miracle for either to catch the PS2 at this point; Sony could lose half its weekly sales and still maintain a massive lead until the next generation. This is important for gamers, because game publishers (at least those who want to make a profit) are going to throw most of their weight (and games) behind the market leader. The fact that developers are now beginning to priase PS2's hardware and development tools rather than bemoan its difficulty to learn should also play a big role in broadening its already massive software library...

PS2
    Current Weekly Sales: 65,000 Units
    Total Console Sales: 8.3 Million Units

Xbox
    Current Weekly Sales: 28,000 Units
    Total Console Sales: 1.8 Million Units

GameCube
    Current Weekly Sales: 32,000 Units
    Total Console Sales: 1.5 Million Units

Xbox and GameCube are both selling at less than half the rate of PS2 on a weekly basis. This is partly due to the lack of any really must-have games for either system, but mostly due to the Sony having already cemented itself as #1 in the minds of consumers...

THE SECRETS OF SONY'S SUCCESS
    What It Did Right...

1. Launched a year before completion
    2. Established strong new franchises
    4. Beefed up its first-party role with better developers
    3. Continues to encourage innovation
    5. Shipped with DVD support built-in

What It Did Wrong...
    1. Shipped too few units at launch
    2. PS2 was Initially difficult to develop for
    3. Has alienated some publishers
    4. Memory card shortage
    5. Only included two controller ports"</font color=white>

Those are not typos; it exactly the way it appears in the mag... Interesting thought food...

12. redhead

redhead Well-Known Member

WELL SPOTTED MATE THE PAL MARKET IS THE LARGEST SYILL WE GET THE SHITTY CONVERSIONS AND CRAP RELEASE DATES

13. HighKing

It's an old thread, but good job I guess.

14. darqfalz

darqfalz Member

Re: PSM: US Console Sales Report

The magazine also failed to mention that Sony makes piece of shit products that fuck American consumers... back during the launch, many people returned their PS2s because their Sony made drives broke down... the problem got fixed when Hitachi drives later replaced the Sony drives... go figure! Same thing happened with the Playstation consoles as well.

It's a same that the Japanese aren't really into first person shooters like we are.... Halo more than enough justifies the purchase of an Xbox, as did Soul Calibur did for the Dreamcast.

That magazine is stupid. HALO is a must have game. Anyone who likes FPS (first person shooters) and good multiplayer fun would agree. Even the casual gamer should enjoy HALO.

I don't know much about the GameCube so I can't say which is a must have game or not. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Darqfalz

15. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Re: PSM: US Console Sales Report

I agree. I'm not a FPS fine by a long shot, but I do enjoy my HALO. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Also agreed about the PS2 -- it was a rush job. I'd say that was a problem for consumers, but good for them as they got the head start they obviously needed, as it's not the most fantastic hardware in the world. FMV set aside, I've yet to see anything like Shenmue on the system, and that came just after a year of the DC's launch!

16. KittifudoDude

KittifudoDude Member

Gee, I wonder why it's not doing so well /versus/images/icons/confused.gif. NOT! The only good thing about the system is it plays DVDs. Its controls are strange, its games are strange, and it just, well, anyone who likes it more that every Nintendo System better go check with a psycoligist (I need one, but not for that).

17. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Sounds like some stuff I heard a month after the PS2 came out, except instead of the games being strange, it was "The Games SUCK!" and they did.

18. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

who the fuck cares what people said about PS2 when it came out. so what if the games sucked when it first launched. PS2 has soooo many kick ass games on it now nobody should be quoting what people said in the begining. Also Sony has bought exclusive rights to GTA3 Vice City so because of the popularity of GTA3 PS2 is gona sell even more consoles!

19. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Its relevant you fuckwad .

Hmm I shouldnt lower myself to the level of idiotic lowlife scum like you .
    Oh well too late /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

20. HighKing

fuckwad, that's a new word.