1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yes, i'm a newb...controller holding?

Discussion in 'Console' started by whodat, May 27, 2002.

1. whodat

whodat Member

Heh, hey guys. I'm new to this board, and quite frankly, new to VF4. I just rented it a couple of days ago and i know i want to buy it. With all these intense combos, i cant find a way to hold the controller the right way so that its easier to do different button combonations. Any advice? =/ . Just as a backround, i first tried Kage but could not pull off anything with him, so i am now Jacky and progressing in skill. I'd just like to thank all of you who put up Jacky techniques, cuz they helped me.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thread moved from Junky's Jungle.

3. Str4toS

Str4toS Member

Hullo,
    There is a good compromise between an arcade stick and a normal game pad:
    just use Triangle as Guard, R1 as Punch and R2 as Kick. This conf. allows you to have your fingers placed just as in arcade :p

Matthias

4. Wedge

Wedge Member

I'm still using the default config, but I wish I had learned it using the method described by Str4toS. There are many advantages, including the advanced techniques like throw-escape guards, and evading throw escape guards are easier with that config.

I know a few people who keep the default controls, but hold the controller differently. They set the controller on a knee, operate the gamepad with left hand, as usual.
    However, they use the right hand on the buttons with index finger on square ([G]), middle finger on triangle ([P]), and ring finger on circle ([K]).

This is good if you don't want to reconfigure the gamepad ever, but frankly, I think that using triangle, R1 and R2 is easier to hold.

5. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

i just use the controller the way it is...the Rs and Ls already have button combinations for you so you dont need to move your hand or make it uncomfortable....what is all this evading throw stuff and guard evades or wahtever i hear about?

6. Mojopin

Mojopin Member

I would suggest, if possible, picking up a stick for this game. I've got the Tekken 4 stick and his made my play experience much more enjoyable because I am now playing this wonderfully engineered game the way it was meant to be played... if you can get one, do it, you will not regret it.

7. thunderlake

thunderlake Member

i'm also a newbie and i found guard on triangel, kick on R1 and punch on L1 quite enjoyable. it works pretty well if you're used to a controller instead of an arcade stick. *also i have kick+punch+guard on R2, but this hardly comes to play since my lay up is comfortable and accesible enough*

8. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

I know most people dont like buying another control when they already have perfectly good ones, but and arcade stick is definatly the way to go.

For two reasons

1. Movement is very important in VF and lots of the advance movement stuff is very hard on a pad.

and 2. IF you buy an arcade stick, you can be good at VF not only at home but also at the arcade, cause your used to an aracde set up. I dont know about other peopel but if i play a gam on a pad and then try to play in the arcade, I get rocked.