1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another New Wolf

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Zass, Feb 14, 2008.

1. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Plus i think it's getting removed in VF5R anyway.

2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Yeah they changed it in R, it's like most most other DM p+k's now.

3. billwood661

billwood661 Member

Oh man, this is priceless. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Low /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and low /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif pretty much snuff out those linear attacks strings, don't they? You can tell which players rely on them because after a couple of low interrupts they freeze up like a deer caught in the headlights. Now I have to work on capitalizing with a decent throw, this again is where my execution stinks (damn I wish my MAS stick worked with my 360!).

Another crummy habit I have to lose is dropkicking from long distance. A lot of online players like to rush in blindly so it's an easy knockdown, but half the time I misjudge the distance and end up flat on my face. My long distance Wolf game needs to improve big time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

BTW, no disrespect to the Lei Fei players on this board, but he reminds me a lot of Eddy Gordo in Tekken 3, newer players would choose him because they could simply twiddle the buttons back and forth and interesting stuff would come out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Thing with RAW versus PPP spam is, that you need to do the followup immediately, otherwise Wolf will eat the next punch in the string. So RAW -> K or something is a good option.

UNLESS youre feeling particularly manly and RAW three times for all the punches /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

ps. Dont try RAW when youre low in life /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

5. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Or on a SPOD.

6. CarolinaPanther

CarolinaPanther Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Nomas_Tomas
    Thing about RAW is you lose a bit of life using it. Personally if you're gonna use it I recommend the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif after RAW.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif DON'T work on circular kicks.

If you see a 2p coming (you'll probably see MANY) use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, what you use after that is up to you

Seidon brings up a good point. DON'T try RAW on palm and double-palm strikes, you will get jacked. Same with headbutts -_-

If you GOING to use DMPK, we ask that you use it sparingly or risk being known as HE WHO WILL NOT BE NAMED (at least not by Ash /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)

7. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

I live in Azusa, Ca and use Wolf as my main.Hit me up and I will show you some things

8. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

the most important thing to know about wolf is hit checking. never do it.

9. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

10. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I must admit I laughed.

11. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

No need for hit checking when you've got Screw Lariat and DMP+K.

If you're referring to Faust9whatevertheotherthreenumbersare, he can go fuck his woppish self painfully, or just disappear when you can't beat me like last time.

There, that's my racism quota for the month filled. Apologies and no offense to any other Italians on the board if I offended.

12. billwood661

billwood661 Member

Mass respect to White Wolf for dedicating his time last night to teaching a n00b Wolf player. Between what he and Plague (hey, I got my headset working!) have taught me in the last two days, my knowledge of this game has already expanded by leaps and bounds. Thanks again guys.

I'm not nearly as reliant on DM + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif as I was a couple of days ago, now I'm looking for more reliable situations (i.e. counter after a block), trying to recognize certain attacks by their animations and knowing what's safe. But I'm quickly realizing I'm going to need a stick if I'm going to be even halfway decent, I'm stuck with a pad right now and stuff like Wolf's Giant Swing are just not coming out. White Wolf's trick helped quite a bit though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Brisal73, I'm ready for lessons anytime! I may or may not be online tonight depending on work hours and family obligations, but I'm going to try and make it for at least a little bit. And I still need to get back to VF4 Evo for Tutorial Mode.

13. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I play Wolf on a pad and I'm probably the best Wolf player in the entire world*.

Practice makes perfect. The more you do something the better you'll become at it.

I never thought I'd be able to play Akira on a pad but look at me now, I am probably the best Akira player in the entire world*.

Similarly, I always had trouble playing as Goh on a pad and now look at me, I can get subaki in easy and am probably the best Goh player in the entire world*.

All it takes is a little motivation and sweat. Before you know it you'll be throwing people left right and centre.

*-Lies

14. CarolinaPanther

CarolinaPanther Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Nomas_Tomas
    Actually Ash, I was referring to Darth....MIIIINION!! Before the Hori I used the pad then switched to the Analog on the MS Pad. It isn't joystick quality but after getting somewhat used to it it was way better for me than using the pad -_-

15. billwood661

billwood661 Member

My problem is that I'm not a pad player by tradition, at least when it comes to fighting games (then again, I'm not a VF player by tradition!). I'm actually OK with most VF commands on a pad, but QCF and HCF motions... forget about it. And it feels like crap when I'm going for a Giant Swing or Turbo Drop and all that comes out is that damned Face Chop. I'm hoping that practice will make perfect until I can save up for a HRAP or something.

For whatever it's worth, I own a MAS Super Pro Stick with PS/Saturn/Dreamcast connects. I also own one of those Street Fighter Anniversary Sticks that I modded with Happ buttons, but it never worked with my original Xbox for whatever reason. But like White Wolf said, for VF it's better to have a stick where you can actually feel the diagonals anyway (which you can't with either the MAS or SFAC stick, those sticks are much better suited for SF-style gameplay).

16. barn34

barn34 Active Member

hey, bill, are you the same great and legendary bill wood from the fire pro wrestling community?!?!?!? man, if so, that's freaking awesome....that, and i'm also a fairly noobish wolf player...don't have my router hooked up yet, so i can't play online yet, but i've gone through all the single player stuff against the AI with wolf and have achieved the time consuming 100%'s accross the board with him. i've been dabbling with lau a bit now, but wolf is my main, i would say. when i get my router and everything working, it'd be awesome to play you so we can learn different things from each other and also chat about the greatness of fire pro. great to see you on here!

17. billwood661

billwood661 Member

Yeah, I'm the same guy. Don't know about "legendary" though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

As soon as I get done obsessing over Oblivion, I'd be more than happy to play you online.

18. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

I thought your name sounded familiar. FirePro forever!

19. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Original poster here -- I took a long (about a year) break from VF, got sucked in by street fighter HDRemix, but have now found my way back to VF5 and wolf.

One of the biggest changes I've made to my game has been to stop trying for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif after a stagger. I found that too many people were inputting low throw escapes. Now I do
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif instead. Similar damage but it's a combo.

I've also been using more screw hooks, and generally trying to go for fewer throws overall. This seems to help a lot.

I still feel helpless against good lei fei players - the character seems unthrowable for all intents and purposes, and without throws his mids are just faster and more damaging than mine.

20. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    What's the best follow up after a swing through /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif?