1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another New Wolf

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Zass, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    It depends.

If your opponent PKs from backturn then use RAW-K ( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif). If they block go for a throw.

Nothing is guaranteed (as far as I know) so you have to out think your opponent.

2. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

The main uses of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif are ringouts and wall combos (especially in R where a followup /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif sets up for some seriously big damage).

3. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    i usually use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, or short shoulder, good near a wall.

you can sometimes get lucky with a turbo drop as they turn around for some big wall damage aswell

4. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Yeah, I know those are the uses. It's just that sometimes I mess up a throw and get /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif by accident. So I want to know in this case, what's the best follow up, even if I didn't do it on purpose.

5. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Basic attack/throw mixup should work well, maybe screwhook/throw not really sure haven't played Wolf in a while.

6. eiyujpn

eiyujpn Active Member

lately i have been using 1throw/catch throw to front/back push alot

lately ive been using 1K+G to much success, which does one or two things

it counter hits and i get an emerald frozion in or...
    its staggers them and more often than not it leaves them backturned staggered

so i go for a 6p, if it doesnt crumple alot of people duck so i low throw after that.

however if people catch on they will duck the 1K+G
    which leaves you with alot of good options, 3K/get in range 33P+K/66P+K/46P/low throw

also 3K+G will cause stagger and you can go for watever mix up you like, ive had success with the BT 2K follow up which will down them like counter62K to free ground throw

also burning hammer is cool to throw in everyonce in awhile, though chances of connecting are slim

7. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

FYI, if you have someone from back catch (also called change) and you push them forward, you are guaranteed a toe kick stunner. I'm pretty sure its the most guaranteed damage off the push, plus it hits them in the back for a special stunner animation. Looks awesome!

Also, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is guaranteed from the same situation. Follow up with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (except against heavies)

8. eiyujpn

eiyujpn Active Member

yes the tks is awesome off the push and 46P+K is good too but im kinda bored with always using the same thing always like to try new stuff

9. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Just dinged a new level (6th dan, yay), today. It's amazing how taking a break can help your game. Taking a break helped me "unlearn" some of my bad habits, like always going for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif into low throw after a stagger.

Anyways I think the biggest change for me was a change in mindset. I've always through of Wolf as a throw character, and I think I was wrong about that. In other words, I would always try to go for a GS or some other big throw.

Now I've realized (that for me at least), Wolf is not about landing throws. Wolf is about landing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and other big mids, like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. The throws are only there for opponents that start getting scared of his big mids.

Thinking that way had really helped me win matches I was losing before. Essentially, my default "thing to do" is to go for a mid instead of a throw. They tend to hit a lot because people are always trying to avoid his big throws. I now use throws more sparingly to punish people for blocking.

10. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Another question here -- does the toe kick stunner have a range? I find that in training mode I can do it when I'm close to my opponent, but if I'm hitting with just the tip of the foot, then I can't seem to do it.

Does the toe kick stunner land at all ranges that the toe kick lands, or is there a range where the kick will hit but the follow up throw is not possible?

11. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    toe kick stunner always had range issues. it's only consistent up close.

12. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

Sometimes after change and Push, I do Bounding Hammer so even if blocked Im -2.

13. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Hello everyone,

Rising this thread from the dead. I've recently rediscovered VF5, and am appreciating again the fun, depth, and complexity of this game.

I've started recording some of my games with friends.

In any case, I have a couple of dozen match vids up, and plan on adding more. I've created a youtube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/zassSRK?feature=mhum

I'd love to find recent match vids of VF5 wolf players. I realize most of the world has moved on to FT and FS, but if there's anyone still playing regular VF5, I'd love some wolf tips! I've been looking for Chief Flash vids, but they are few and far between [​IMG]

14. smb

smb Well-Known Member

lol, i think only japan has moved on, as the rest of the world never got either of those games.

15. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Couple more videos up. I got to play against a strong pai player (wasted wish). I also got to play against one of my Wolf idols, Brisal73!! Unfortunately I didn't have my recording equipment [​IMG] but it was a major, major beatdown. Hopefully I can play him again soon

16. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

According to the videos, you were not able to 2p against Pai's 9KK at +5 probably due to lag. His screw hook is the fastest mid which is recommended to use more. 66P+K is not that good actually for close range, also DMPK would stop building your defense when you over rely on that move.

17. Darthminion

Darthminion Well-Known Member

cool vids zas i use wolf also .

18. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

The wrong way.... Nobody gives a fuck if you use crutches either.. You been trolled lmao!!!

19. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    LOLOL good to see some things have not changed. sup SDS! [​IMG]

20. Darthminion

Darthminion Well-Known Member

you're a fucking idiot son! [​IMG]