1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another Tekken player switched to VF ^_^

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by wildvision, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Re: Ahem

True, but "The most delightful pleasures cloy without variety." /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

All right I think this is getting too off topic.

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Not nessisarily..I am very good at more than a few things in life..its just about making the right switch of state of mind.

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

NECESSARILY!@!@!#!~#@

No, really, Ryan Hart is supposed to be good at both games.
    But!
    what do you want to teach a guy? That he ought to split his time between a good game and an ass game? Or devote to the good game? Come on.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

True, but "If the odor of hell assuaults thine nostril, thee should stop playing Tekken."

5. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I'm down with that!

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well, I also plan on playing T4 (and probably DOA3), but I do think that to reach the highest level you possibly can, you have to play one franchise much more than all others on any one generation. Most people have a lot of trouble fully mastering even one character in VF4, never mind two or more characters in two different fighting games with different systems.

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i practice long & hard at VF, though i perfer to watch tekken masters at work over playing it myself..

overall i play both, but VF still dominates with attention (heck akira neeeds attention or else you get rusty), basically wolf & akira are my bread & butter,... i've never worked as hard on anyone else so i don't even get much chance to play tekken..(much)

heck, i still practice at VF3!

<font color=yellow>VF3 Akira: anti-taka combo of the week...
    db+p+g(pull behind) ~ f,f,f+p ~ d+k ~ DLC(floor bounce)

8. God_Fist

God_Fist New Member

It's good to know that there are some VFers that look upon Tekken in a good light.

I personally am a Tekkener, and am still very much hooked onto the game, but am looking to VF4 since it got pretty stale.

Although T4 has been a little dissappointing, I am not giving up on Tekken just yet.

Well, I'm entirely new to VF4, just found out today that you have to press guard in order to block.

Tekken besides juggles, is a lot of mind game. What differentaites a good VF player from a scrub? Is it the knowledge on strings or how to block?

More quick questions (too lazy to find out my own plus I dun understand jap) :

1) Can you break grabs/throws?
    2) How do you get up quickly when you're on the ground?
    3) You press guard to block. For high/mid hits, you block whilst standing, low hits, block when crouching, right?
    4) Are the moves limited to the movelist in PS2 game? Are there more unlisted moves (in FAQ) or something?
    5) There seems to be some limited juggles, is there a juggle FAQ for maximum damage?
    6) There seems to be a tier system within VF4 PS2, where Pai is easy level, and Akira is top level. Besides probably easier to learn, does Pai tend to be less powerful than Akira?

Thanks in advance.

9. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Yawh Creeed and "Fear does not exist in this dojo - Does it!?" "NO SENSEI!"
    "Defeat does not exist in this dojo - Does it!?" "NO SENSEI!"

Yuk Yuk Yuk

10. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

1) Yes to all throws that are not hit-throws, back throws, low side throws(I think) or catch throws.

2) Usually you can tap P+K+G to quick rise, or add a direction to the button presses (up or down) to roll to the side. If you get hit by a move that smacks you into the ground forcibly, you cannot do either, generally speaking.

3) Yup, except low punches which can be guarded while standing. (there's a couple others but they're character specific)

4) Nope, what you see is what you get. The challenge here is actually being able to use it all.

5) Limited? For at least half the characters it can be seen as their primary damage output, and it's extremely varied for those characters as to what they can do.

6) Absolutely not. Pai is one of the stronger characters in Ver C. Actually this last set of tweaks has really seemed to bring most of the characters back in line and well balanced. If you've played it in the arcade, the most obvious overall character changes were to Akira (powered down), Shun (powered down), Pai (powered up). The level you're refering to is their relative friendliness to new players.

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Forgive my lazyness, but how was shun powered down in c?

12. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=26147&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=26147&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=</a>

Enjoy!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

6) There seems to be a tier system within VF4 PS2, where Pai is easy level, and Akira is top level. Besides probably easier to learn, does Pai tend to be less powerful than Akira?

Are you referring to the beginner, intermediate, and expert designations at the character select screen? If so, they are arbitrary designations by Sega to indicate which characters are suitable for beginners, intermediate players, and experts.

14. Jet

Jet New Member

Well, here's something so rare you don't see everyday.

I play both games and love both so darely....
    I recently got back into Virtua Fighter, VF4 is sweet.

I think T4 is pretty good, a brave and good solid change from its aging gameplay.

15. Bedwettah

Bedwettah Active Member

I wouldn't call those labels you see of 'beginner, expert' etc. totally arbitrary. I mean a beginner would probably have more success as pai/lau then as akira/vanessa, characters that you have to learn a few things about to even appear to be competitive.

16. wildvision

wildvision New Member

yeah, I mean I still like tekken, I'll always like tag, but tekken 4 just disgusted me. Jin, Panda? ehh..

Well anyways, at least virtua fighter was true and stuck to it's own engine and didn't try to release a "tag" game. Kudos to VF.

17. BeBeCe

BeBeCe New Member

I was once a Tekken player, but I too have switched over to the VirtuaFighter series. VF4 is such an incredible game, I just find it hard going back to Tekken now.

18. MattFoo

MattFoo New Member

Hey hey my fellow tekkenites. Seems like I see more and more people from Tekken Zaibatsu here. Anywho...soon I will have VF4 muhahahahahahaha

I just dug up FMM recently and..that game sucks LoL
    It's a cool concept the game just didn't flow with me.