1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yomi Innate or Nurtured?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Tricky, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Don't do it Myke. Don't post in this thread again XD
    I don't know if my "yomi" is correct (lol) but had a feeling that you might have thought about replying again.

Ok, I'm not as smart or educated as Myke so I can't post anything as constructive but here's my satirical attempt at "out-yomiing" the stupid direction this thread is going:

(in a presumptuously arrogant and pretentious tone)
    If you people knew the meaning of the word yomi *scoffs* you could have seen this post coming. But alas, you did not because your yomi skills are not up to par with my extravagant savvy.
    So don't even try to touche my forte and please leggo my eggo. (ha! weren't expecting that one were you?)

Yomi is reading but reading is not yomi. Therefore having the yomi does mean that one can read their opponents but one who can read does not always have the yomi. You see, an illiterate person can have yomi but can not read. Meanwhile, a literate person can read but might not possess the yomi.
    You might be able to read yomi but you cannot yomi reading. Ever got told to do a reading as an assignment for a class and then you decided that you're not going to do the reading, instead you're just going to yomi the reading?
    I'm here to tell you people, it does not work. I received a D for a class to prove it =/

Yomi spelled backwards is i-m-o-y. What the word yomi implores you to do is ask yourself one question: I'm 0, why?

Regardless of the follies that you might find within this post, I can assure you that I am never wrong. It is YOU who are wrong for reading my posts incorrectly and not having enough yomi to understand what I meant to say.

2. Linzhuomin

Linzhuomin Well-Known Member

tonyfamilia wins.

3. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    EXCELLENT! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Getting old makes you even funnier, man. Catherine was laughing as I read your post to her.

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbs_up.gif

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
    10/10

im totally baptized!

7. DarkGift

DarkGift Well-Known Member

bravo tony

8. Renzo

Renzo Well-Known Member

god damn!

9. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

You missed my point... I was talking about definitions, not about superior/inferior playstyles. I always link the term yomi with prediction, and in this case the option that "beats everything" has no prediction... you just know from the rules that it's the best option. That's a different topic than correctly reading what your current opponent will actually do next, and countering just that move. It's reacting properly (not yomi), vs. predicting accurately (yomi). (At least, that's the definition I've always used... I'm not saying it has to be right, but it's better than just saying "yomi = everything you can do that helps you win")

I once heard it said about AI research, that exactly this same problem exists... when there's an unsolved problem that AI reserachers are working on, the general populace thinks of AI as some magical thing that is difficult to understand. But as soon as they actually solve the problem (for example, creating a computer program that can beat humans at chess), the general populace goes "that's not really AI, it's just math". Well... duh, of course it's just math, that's all it ever was, people just don't get it, because they assume the AI problems are so hard that obviously there must be something more than just math in the solution somewhere.

10. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

I knew VFers had some range, but someone able to accurately decompose AI research and make a appropriate analogy to YOMI,
    now that impressive /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

So I guess you know that magical AI phenonmenon thing is still
    goin on with AI /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

For the record we have:

Situation Yomi: anticipation of situation based on experience and
    generalization of how situations flow from one to
    the next (on the average)

Character Yomi: anticipation of a character's next move based on
    an average of high caliber stylists that use that
    character typically move in a give scenario.
    This is character trend YOMI that is beyond
    how a particular person uses a character, but
    focuses on how high level players tend to use
    the character.

Player Yomi: This is getting into the mind of a particular
    person. Anticipating their next move based on
    their habits, attitudes, personality, mood,
    and particular skill set. Whereas situation and
    character YOMI are:

Guesses based on generalizations

Player YOMI applies to specific and particular
    players.

Of course particular players in many cases fall into general broad categories. In those instances no longer have to YOMI
    against the player you can YOMI against the character /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

This is called AI YOMI /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always link the term yomi with prediction, and in this case the option that "beats everything" has no prediction...</div></div>

there was a reason why i asked you to `read the example again'.

backdash ---> when you just gained substancial frame advantage does not "beat everything" nor does it play by the rules of frame. it will lose if the opponent plays a regular attack.

i am targeting specific reactions:
    ETEG
    Low P
    (hospital throw)

the opponent is pressured near a wall, i predict he will respond this way.
    prediction is based on pre-warned information.

----------
    okay, i really wont explain it again¬ if you have any furthur things you want me answer, just PM me. -- i dont think i'll get my welcome back here as it is.

so let the books close.

12. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Once again, I was not commenting on that example. I was commenting on your statement that "reading the situation" and "reading the opponent" are completely equivalent, and both described as yomi.

You're basically saying, if you had a reason to do *anything*, then yomi was somehow involved. That's okay, but it's kind of a useless defintion, which was why I suggested an alternative...

13. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're basically saying, if you had a reason to do *anything*, then "reading" was somehow involved. That's okay, but it's kind of a useless defintion, which was why I suggested an alternative...</div></div>

read that back to yourself 5 times.

14. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Yomi as a term used in english, does not match the literal japanese meaning. Which is perfectly fine, since we've clearly adopted the term, and been using it for many years, we might as well make it useful.

It's not like words can't change (go ask someone japanese what a "hamburger" is...).

15. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Kobuta... Tanuki, Kitsune, Neee~ko

Bububu, Ponpokoponn, Konn konn, Nyaao~

I think this has reached a stalemate at this point homies.