1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yomi > System

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Vith_Dos, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

Yomi plays a part in any fighting game, some moreso than others. The subject has proably been discussed before but I lost my search, but the question and discussion is, in Virtua Fighter's system, what is the extent of Yomi's usefulness?

If you know most what your opponent is gonna are you garaunteed to win? Are there situations where it is impossible to 100% counter the other player? Or is there ALWAYS something you can do to get out of a bad situation.

This is proably a silly question that should get answered in one post but I am interested to hear the answer.

2. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
    Vith_Dos said:

If you know most what your opponent is gonna are you garaunteed to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory it should guarantee a win, but in my case I've been in situations when I predicted a throw and I still wasn't able to react accordingly (whether I attack or escape).

[ QUOTE ]
    Are there situations where it is impossible to 100% counter the other player? Or is there ALWAYS something you can do to get out of a bad situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

In guaracteed situations (when an attack is guaranteed to hit me), I TRY to evade throw escape in anticipation of non-guaranteed/gamble follow-ups. This way, the initial guessing game in my opponent's favor is eliminated; and, a new guessing game occurs.

3. tianyuan2k2

tianyuan2k2 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you know most what your opponent is gonna are you garaunteed to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you pick Aoi and close your eyes then reverse every move your foe does if your prediction is 100% correct? This is the most showy way to beat anyone in VF I think.

I think Yomi is only useful when you know "what" you are dealing with.

4. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

lol dude you know the answer to that question

yomi = system

If you know what the other player is going to do and act accordingly, then yes you will win.

Someone does something, the other person is effected and then reacts depending on what they think the other person will do next, whether it be an offensive or defensive situation. Every option can be beaten by another option that can be beaten by another option etc. There is just no situation in VF where you have no good options.

5. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

Yomi will only get you so far because even if you know what your opponent is going to do, you still have to know how to deal with it. Ex: I'm playing GGXX and I am playing against KBNova, he superjumps backwards and IAD in with Anji's j.s. With Baiken, I may have guessed he was going to do that and I may have panicked (A variable factor) and went to try and beat it out (though Baiken can't do that without a presetup tatami or blocking into counter) with forward+p. I will lose that encounter even though I may have known what he was going to do. There are alot of factors that may lead to someone winning or losing such encounters as the one have shown above. It's a matter of doing all that you can with these factors.

6. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Yah. Perfect Yomi doesn't always equal a win. E.g., in SF,if you block Gief's jab, you know that a SPD is coming. What can you do? Nada. I'm using SF as an example, since I'm too much of a scrub in VF to state a clear case like this, but I think such situations exist in pretty much all fighting games, sports, business, life, etc. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. tianyuan2k2

tianyuan2k2 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    E.g., in SF,if you block Gief's jab, you know that a SPD is coming. What can you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is no way to get out Gief's Jab-SPD, treat this one as Akira SPoD back in VF2. The solution? Stop that jab before it comes to you.

8. Dandy_J

You can reversal out of the grab. Of course in some of the older SFs reversal has very strict timing.

9. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

while we're on SF... how do I beat a dhalsim that keeps doing the punch throw, then low kick into another punch throw? i called him a hobo but it didnt work

10. Dandy_J

You can reversal out of it with a DP or something. Sometimes just counter-throwing will work but it depends on how the slide connects.

You can also do this:

Pick E. Honda.

Tick into his bear hug grab (f+HP). Hold u/f while the throw is animating, so you jump foward asap after it finishes. You'll jump over him as he resets, and do this combo:

Crossup j. HK, close standing MP, standing HK (2 hits)

This will dizzy him, then you can just kill him with whatever. If he blocks the crossup, after he blocks the MP just walk foward and tick into the bear hug again.

11. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

cool

Also, I am not sure on comboing moves into supers, it is either ungodly difficult or I am doing something wrong. With Balrog I am trying to do:

[1_] [3] [1]+MP [6]+MP

to try to get a crouching strong into his super. I have done it like once or twice... but it is so unreliable... much like trying to combo c.MK into c.MP. Any advice?

12. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Balrog c. mp to super

I take it your playing Super Turbo or Anniversary Edition, where this task is sorta tricky.

You have to link the strong punch into the super for it to combo. Wait for the punch to complete its animation then finish the motion. Also, I get it best when there is distance that the punch hits at the end ofthe move as instead of up close.

13. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Re: Balrog c. mp to super

this feels like SRK... /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dandy- i think jab->spd is unescapable. special throws can't be teched, and SPD has 0 frames exec. it happens as soon as you come out of block stun. now some other tick->throws, like the Sim example above, yeah, that can escaped.

14. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

I have no clue about any of the SF technical fanfare, but I do know that fighting games are generally built on outplaying your opponent. Certainly, a degree of this relies on one's technical skill. If I can take off half a life bar when I guess right and you can only take off an eighth of one with a good guess, then the odds are clearly slanted in my favor. However, if both opponents are equally skilled (and not noobs) at VF, I think of it as fast-paced rock-paper-scissors. If you always know what your opponent is gonna throw out, you are almost assured to win. Dandy pretty much said it, the system IS yomi.

15. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. Its so wonderful how vf is balanced enough so that even when playing against somone with incredible yomi the system is strong enough so that you still have a big chance of being able to put yourself back in a favorable position using the game's many defensive techniques.

16. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

just so everyone knows, what dandy J said is accurate, we have a profficient Gief in the area (josh the funk doc) and he loves his tick throw bs in the game, so u need to reversal, REVERSAL ONLY DAMMIT

17. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

As a Gief player myself, I know for a fact that tick ->SPD is escapable. SPD is not zero frames, if it was zero frames the move would never come out. /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm not exactly sure of the frame data, but I would put it around 1-5 range.

To stop it , a character needs to do a move with invincibilty frames in the first frames of execution. (shoryuken) You cant jump out of it because jumping takes some frames to execute and its not enough time if a well executed SPD is done.

18. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

you can combo the boxers super really easy if you know how...

at anytime during or b4 the super motion, press and HOLD MP!!!, when you finish the motion realease the MP at the same time!

old school sf2 players will know of this press/depress style, in fact im sure only sf2 has it!

its also a way of doing zangifs SPD 100% as if you depress a punch while you mess up the motion you wont get a punch come out!

there is 4 actual input motions for SPD in case you didnt know!

anyways hyper sf2 is broken, super turbo on DC anytime:)

19. Onny

Onny Well-Known Member

the guys over at SRK call the "press/depress" thing "negative edge", and it's in quite a few capcom fighters /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

man how come they get names like 'negative edge' and we get 'box step'