1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yomi

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by mindelixir, Oct 9, 2002.

1. mindelixir

mindelixir Well-Known Member

What is yomi?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Yomi is the japanese term for the ability to know what your opponent is going to do next, i.e. in VF.

When you see someone do an obvious example, you can say "That was good yomi, reversing that low punch" or something.

My personal favorite example (I can only assume it was intentional, it was from a movie)... in VF3, wolf vs. akira, wolf blocks one of akira's heavy attacks and has a guaranteed giant swing. Wolf's back is to the edge of the ring and if he successfully does the throw, akira will be out of the ring and lose. So you'd better believe akira enters a b,f+P+G escape to try to prevent that.

But wolf's too smart for that. Instead, stands still for a second, allowing akira to do his b,f+P+G, then wolf enters f+P+G. What happens is this - wolf intentionally sits still knowing that when akira enters b,f+P+G, he will do his b,f+P+G throw against wolf. And akira does, but because wolf entered f+P+G, the throw is escaped. The result - akira sprints past wolf out of the ring (that's the usual animation for an escaped b,f+P+G).

If this was truly planned out by the wolf, it must have been experience from a similar situation. But it's a beautiful thing to see.

Second vote: In one of my movies of the week, a kage player is almost dead vs. Chibita, and chibita blocks a move and tries his uf+P+G throw. Kage escapes it and eventually wins.

3. mindelixir

mindelixir Well-Known Member

Thanks for the excellent replly.... I've seen some nasty Yomi in chibita clips... how does he manage to escape so many throws and fidduck up rising opponents by choosing just the right attack and range? Cuz he's Chibita dammit!

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Part of it is yomi, part of it is chibita has tireless fast hands, and so buffers stuff like E-DTE every time he gets a move blocked or otherwise loses initiative. If everyone's got about three good throws and chibita correctly does E-DTE vs. two, it looks like he's damn near psychic.

5. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

What Chibita and the other high level guys do is more of a half-yomi half-succesful anticipation thing, and they pull it off quite well.