1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on Hitbox

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by franman, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

So I'm working on some hitbox unique dashing techniques similar to how dashing works in they explain it here int he TTT2 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLA4B222224DEFCD80&feature=player_detailpage&v=EV1UBe7sHiU#t=273s

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried using this in VF yet? I'm doing it right now and I can see it's usefulness. It does seem to require very precise timing on your part though. Basically I'm practicing:

4(hold),4(still held) + 6(tap), 4(release after 6 is tapped)

2. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    I'll try to keep that technique in mind, sounds logically faster.

3. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

i dabbled with these techniques awhile back. I couldnt stick with it though. all the options available to hitbox are cool nonetheless

4. Tricky

if nothing else it might be good for getting better hitbox dexterity control.

5. Tricky

Warning: this is high lvl Hitbox technique. This shit is gonna be hard.

I sending even more time in dojo with this technique and I actually think it's the best way to do dashes in the game with a HB. It's about as awkward as learning the HB at first, but I think it opens up your input speed by such a large margin that it's worth the effort. It opens up evade dash canceling speeds that are only really seen in JP style play where you don't even see the failed evade.

This tech also works for crouch dashing for example:

2+6 (hold), 4(tap), 2+6(keep holding until tap is done then release).

For timing I'm using the rhythm method. What I mean is I'm listening to the button taps I normally use for 66 dashing. The tap pause tap sound you get. there is a physical limit to how fast you can do this because you need to lift your finger. It actually sounds kind of slow tbh.

Now when I want to use the SCOD dash instead of hearing tap pause tap it's tap (2nd button tap) pause. Another way to think of it is Tap (6 button) Tap (4 button) Release Tap (releasing 4) Release Tap (releasing 6).

You are basically plinking your dashes, then negative edge (prob using wrong terms) reverse plinking. You end up with a very crisp and precise dash that comes out waaaay faster than any 66 dash I've ever tried to do.

When I finish unlocking this technique I'll share my preferred method in video form.

Unicorn likes this.
  6. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Ive heard rumors of using the hitbox to get freaky option selects in certain games, like being able to hold forward and back for a literal advancing guard.

7. Tricky

that was for the ones without cleaners. SCOD makes it so both directions equal neutral.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    AFAIK some PSN/XBL update deal with this issue by default, or at least I heard so

9. Tricky

pics of my finished hitbox [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Tricky just to be clear, you bought a new metal panel to mount all the stuff to make your TE a Hitbox and after that you just put the artwork and the glass pannel on the top right? So if I just buy a glass pannel and i print my artwork i should be good to go or should I also buy a bigger metal pannel? Thanks

11. Tricky

I got a hitbox layout metal panel and plexi. I got a new metal panel that was machined to fit my 24mm and 30mm buttons exactly. The metal plate doesn't cover the whole front face of the TE. It only covers the size of the previous plate location. Once you take away the bevel that normally goes around the metal plate, you then place the plexi on top of the metal plate and viola you have TE modded Hitbox.

The artwork is just like you think. Put between the plate and the plexi.

Mister likes this.
  12. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
  13. Tricky

They look good to me!

14. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Nothing about manufacturer of parts?

15. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

they're from Russia ... it is likely equal parts vodka and cheetahs.

Tricky likes this.
  16. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
  17. Tricky

They looked like sanwa to me. Good to know my eyes are good.

18. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    "highly imitated Sanwa"

not quite Sanwa. they look the part but good luck getting the same feel from them.

19. Tricky

Oh I lose 2 points in my close reading skill bank. Looks like a nice box to put in real Sanwa buttons in anyway. I'd go my route and just get the madcatz stick with a hitbox faceplate and call it a day. Especially if you already have one.

20. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    You have option to order them with original Sanwa and I think they are with them on pictures