1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yu Suzuki Interview with Strana Igr

Discussion in 'General' started by Alimn, Dec 2, 2013.

By Alimn on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  1. Alimn

Alimn Member

Here's a recent interview with creator of Virtua Fighter "Mr. Yu Suzuki" / Former SEGA-AM2 Head. Yu Suzuki is still an advisor to SEGA while he's running his own studio called YS NET. It's done by a special magazine that is affiliated with Famitsu of Japan.

Yu Suzuki Interview with Strana Igr [shenmuedojo.net]

They have been doing interview with many famous game designers in the past.

Interviewer has posted in the topic and magazine scans can be downloaded there too.

There are some old interesting info we didn't know about VF plus more...

Enjoy!

UPDATE: Keep an eye on the source link for possible improvements into the translation if any.

yu-interview.PNG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    El_Twelve, EvenPit, H_Magnus and 9 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'General' started by Alimn, Dec 2, 2013.

1. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      I'm likin this!
    2. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      My image of Sarah is shattered now:

Yu Suzuki: "Sarah – is my personal, favorite “child”. So this is why there's two girls (Pai was the popular 'Chun-Li'-like char) in a game. By the way, I personally thought through background of all characters. For example, Sarah never looking back when she close the door. Sarah smoke. Sarah likes to drink tequila. And she drinks tequila with shots in one gulp. In the game, such details are not mentioned, but just for myself I thought through all that. And I was able to embody some of them in anime when it appeared. Unfortunately without booze and cigarettes. This is what I can tell you."
    3. Tricky
      Tricky
      i always knew sarah was a dirty girl.
      phanatik and Manjimaru like this.
    4. Tricky
      Tricky
      BTW He would be down for the hitbox in VF and fully supports what I've been saying about execution barriers.

AND I QUOTE:
      I want to make win based on right decisions. And because of that battle system in fightings still imperfect. Even in Virtua Fighter. If you wasn't able to press button in exact moment, and because of that you loose, the problem is not in you wrong decision. The game just set the task on reaction for you. Did you accomplished or failed combination – this is on what win depends. It would be better to attach sensor on gamer, so all his thoughts could be instantly and faultlessly implemented by character on screen. So then it will be not just battle of solutions, but a real fighting, and real in a good way, not thanks to blood and violence. For example, for this could be suitable sensors that measure Alpha-waves, and it's not a distant future, people already work successfully in such direction for a long time. There are people , for example, who have microchips that can control heart function.
      ToyDingo and BLACKSTAR like this.
    5. nou
      nou
      Most people lack the hand eye Co-ordination for simple button press(es) and taps. The HitBox is an execution barrier as well.

Maybe Yu is working on an OR fighting game?
      Tricky likes this.
    6. Tricky
      Tricky
      The hitbox just has a high barrier getting past the first stage but once you get past that your execution will increase at a fast rate. You're right though, it does require a high degree of coordination. Staggers are still difficult not because it's hard to do on hitbox but it's hard to coordinate the fingers.
    7. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      For me, VF is about positioning, reactions AND decisionmaking. Not just decisionmaking.

Look at VF5 online. Reactions are taken out of the equation and playing is reduced to decisionmaking and guesswork. As a result most pros hate it.

While I applaud that Suzuki gave us VF in the first place, I absolutely do not like the idea of simplifying games.
      Dark Nova Void likes this.
    8. oneida
      oneida
      Jenya Davidyuk (translator) asked by herself: Did he even invited you for a dinner later, in a gratitude?

Yu Suzuki *throw up a hands*
    9. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      Great interview, thanks for the translation.
      The fact that people can creat egames from assembler always amaze me as a dev.
    10. ToyDingo
      ToyDingo
      That's my girl! For some reason, I feel proud reading this...

I could imagine one of her win poses in VF6 being her throwing back a shot of tequila while flipping Jacky the middle finger...
    11. IcKY99
      IcKY99
      Now i understand why Sarah is blackstars waifu :3 he knows how to pick em'
      phanatik and BLACKSTAR like this.
    12. Manchkin
      Manchkin
      He gave an interview to a Russian magazine? I'm impressed
      By the way, "Strana Igr" translated from English means "GameLand". Here's how this magazine called for the world community. Correct news please :)
      Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    13. masterpo
      masterpo

"We go back to fightings again and asking him about future of genre, what Yu Suzuki think should be changed? And again, he gave us unexpected answer"
      "Modern fightings are too much hardcore, “maniacs”. And such maniacs fightings are limit the audience, and because of that, fewer people are playing, and at this rate genre can sink into oblivion. And so because of that I'm for a more simpler games."

I dunno, maybe we are our own worst enemies.....
    14. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      I know what I want. The world is full of games aimed at casual people.
      masterpo likes this.
    15. masterpo
      masterpo
      Agreed.,. but I fear the days of making games strickly or mostly for the hardcore might be coming to a close...:( And it appears, that we may have read more into VF than Yu Suzuki originally intended. If the translator was correct in using the phrase "hardcore, maniacs", that would indicate that Yu Suzuki is perhaps on a different page than some of the folks on VFDC. The tea leaves might suggest that any future version of VF would be even simpler (dumbed down?) than VF5FS in the name of reaching a wider audience.

Yu Suzuki's comment:

"at this rate genre can sink into oblivion."

is a pretty strong statement against catering to "hardcore, maniacs" ....:oops:
    16. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      Im sure he is reffering to Super Smash :p
    17. masterpo
      masterpo