1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Yu Suzuki, VF6, UFC and Beatiful Gameplay

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Oct 31, 2019.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    I've included some quotes from a interview with Yu SuZuki in an Interview with Game-ON, about VF3. I've said this before, I'll suggest it again. Virtua Fighter was the closest thing you could get to a realistic combat simulation back in the 90's. No Suzuki was not trying to create a sports game, but yes he did want martial arts realism:holla: He did want a martial arts simulation;) Even though it was played in arcades, Suzuki was going for realism, simulation and fun at the same time. He also was concerned with the beauty of the game play. I know many players hate on the UFC fighting games, but if you took those fights out of the octagon, and put them on Virtua Fighter type stages, and gave the fighters regular clothes, it would be fairly close to Yu Suzuki's original dreams for the game. Maybe the future of VF6 looks like UFC type fighting physics, on Virtua Fighter style stages with characters wearing VF style gear:ninja:

upload_2019-10-31_11-56-31.png

upload_2019-10-31_12-5-8.png

upload_2019-10-31_12-8-50.png

The whole interview is probably already somewhere on VFDC, if not let me know and I'll find a way to link the whole article, and that issue of Game On:)

I don't understand what the resistance is to fighting games like THQ's .UFC3 Undisputed, or EA's UFC3 games

They have very deep game play, They have combos, They have strings. They are realistic combat simulators with the kind of mechanics that Yu Suzuki was originally going for. No he wasn't trying to create a ring sport game but keep in mind the UFC games have many of the sames styles as Virtua Fighter::LOL:

• Muay Thai
    • Karate
    • Wrestling
    • Kick Boxing
    • Boxing
    • Judo
    • Brazilian Jujitsu

According to Yu Suzuki Virtua Fighter was going for martial arts realism (look at the quote above) the UFC games are going for martial arts realism. Although the VF fights don't occur in official UFC rings, they do occur in rings.:whistle:

Folks think about it. How close would a Virtua Fighter match look to a UFC 3 match if you remove floaters? I know it wouldn't be exactly the same but it would be similar. Maybe the best future of Virtua Fighter, VF6 and beyond is to let Tekken, SF, and MK have the explosions, fireballs, super moves, and floaters, and the old-school-arcade-market and go for combat simulation style realism, outside of the octagon in beautiful stages with showy moves:confused:

2. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Dude why you make a comparison with VF and UFC ?

Fans will never accept it, and even more the Japan scene.

There is enough place for every different games.

I mean Virtua Fighter is godlike af, while to me UFC is boring af (like absolutely no cake).

Who care of UFC games ?

Let VF stays VF, an arcade Japanese fighting game that play with stick or pad.

Why would you change 100% or reboot a franchise that has already done things perfectly ?

Why would you change a very loved and respected game by millions fans around the world ?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    masterpo likes this.
  3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    The reason I posted those interviews from Yu Suzuki the 'Creator' of Virtua Fighter is to remind and show the community what his original dream was. I posted his words.

Sonic, I agree with you they are separate games. UFC is trying to simulate a sport. Virtua Fighter is not trying simulate a sport. But originally Yu Suzuki was going for as realistic as the technology would allow at the time when VF first came out. I think if he could have used the same kind of game engine that is in UFC he would have.

Sonic, think about it. There is a reason why VF does not have fireballs, super moves, flying etc. Back in 1993 Other fighting games like Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat had fireballs, explosions etc. But Yu Suzuki chose not to put them into Virtua Fighter. Yes VF does have launchers and jugglers, but it is as minimized as possible (exception some of Kage's moves :ROTFL:) According to Yu Suzuki's own words, he wanted future versions of VF to be more and more realistic but still fun
    It wouldn't be a reboot. Actually there are a lot of similarities right now between VF and UFC. Sonic if you remove the floating animations and launching animation, and replace those animations with staggers or crumple animations VF and UFC would look even more similar.

I agree with you Virtua Fighter is godlike. Its a masterpiece:holla: I personally think it is the best arcade fighting game ever made.

But the animation approach could be changed without changing the game mechanics and balance. Switching the juggle animation for stagger and crunch animation while keeping the 3 button control mechanics would still let VF be VF. I'm not suggesting that we change the controls or balance, only the animations and the physics. If you read what Yu Suzuki said in the interview, that's where he was going anyway right?

In other words VF6 should go for more realism and simulation while keeping the same controls and fighting engine.

Sonic, Do you think it would be okay to improve the animations to make them more realistic?

Do you think it would be okay to get rid of the floating animations and replace them with stagger, stumble, and crumple animations?

4. Sonic The Fighters

Yeah, but VF is more about Martial Art from anime or Kung Fu movies (from 70's 80's 90's...).

Like he saids, "Jacky Chan or Bruce Lee characters", from actors, it's about unrealistic Kung Fu.

And then MMA is not really a particular Martial Art, UFC fighter would get destroyed in a Martial Art discipline by an expert.

MMA is not really "some great Martial Art" to me.

Virtua Fighter is a tribute to 80's Kung Fu movies with Martial Art atmosphere. It's not a competition with referee, match points, penalties...

Virtua Fighter is so much fun, and i love everything about it, it's so good and well made.

Animations just need to be fresh and from 2020.

5. Sonic The Fighters

VF is Bruce Lee, Jacky Chan, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Sylvester Stallone, Mister T, Chuck Norris, Jet Li, Wesley Snipes, Michelle Yeoh, Daniel LaRusso, Steven Seagal...

That's why it's so good and so dumb at the same time.

Godlike and fun !

masterpo likes this.
  6. Sonic The Fighters

I'm sorry for your UFC masterpo.

But Virtua Fighter is already perfect, we just need another great VF game from 2020.

You can't radically change legendary IPs that's been around for decades.

Sorry VF mate, let's just hope VF6 is happening.

masterpo likes this.
  7. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    :ROTFL: Exactly, Agreed!

But VF players are not the same as Tekken, SF, KOF, or MK players:eek:. The players who like VF like realism, controls, and balance. Most VF players would not like to see floaters from one side of the stage to the end of the stage, they don't want to see kangaroos, or panda bears, they don't want super moves, rage art, rage drive, combo meters, 15 hit combos, transporting, disappearing and reappearing etc.

If we're being honest VF players want the game to be fun but also realistic. The more realistic the better. I don't know any VF players who want the game to be less realistic.:cool:

For example we can't really float Taka from one side of the stage to the next. I like playing against Taka, his weight feels more realistic. Virtua Fighter could get rid of the floating animations and just keep stumbles, staggers, turns, knock backs, falls, and crumple animations.

It is possible for AM2 and Sega to improve the realism of the animations without changing the game controls or character balance;)

8. Sonic The Fighters

I don't want VF to be less realistic, but also i don't want VF to be more realistic.

LOL !

Example : Shenmue

Look at Shenmue from 2000, and then look at Shenmue from 2020.

It's the same game, or i mean it's still Shenmue.

Same for Virtua Fighter, it has to do the same and stay 100% VF, because it is VF.

beanboy and masterpo like this.
  9. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Understood. Okay let's leave VF as is. It is already a masterpiece. I've got the remake of Shenmue I,II . I'm finishing Shenmue II now.

Shenmue III should be out in about a week right?

So what if Sega releases the VF Ultimate edition that includes:

• Team Battle from VF3
    • Trainable AI from VF4
    • Kumite Mode from VF4
    • Announcing from VF5
    • Quest Mode from VF5
    • License Mode from VF5FS
    • Sparring Mode from VF5FS
    • Online Modes from VF5FS
    • VS Mode from VF5FS (with User Profiles loaded from USB sticks)

New Tournament Mode up to 8 man brackets
    for Singleplayer VS and Online play
    Two new characters (Wing Chun, Tai Chi):D

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  10. Sonic The Fighters

Same for me, i have to finish Shenmue 2 before 3 comes out.

If a VF collection is released, we all buy it then Virtua Fighter 6 will come next.

11. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

True.

But the big joke is, the animations, in alot of these modern 3d fighting games, don't look like they come from 2019, or the year they were released. They look janky, clunky, rough, and look as if they run, on underpowered 90's gaming hardware.:p

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  12. Sonic The Fighters

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  13. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

IP Man!:D