1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Zero frame throw?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by tianyuan2k2, Jun 13, 2006.

1. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Like i said, i dunno how much grab animation actually has to do with 0f throws. I used to mostly think of them as "throws that will never clash", but i'm not so sure about that either. In the jacky example above, if i delay 6k+g perfectly, i can get it to clash if i do it right before (or right as?) the throw would have hit. Buffering it never clashes.

I think in order to test whether long-range throws can be 0f i'd have to finally get around to wiring up my second controller to the arduino. The idea would be on frame 100 (or whatever) player 1 pushes p+g, and on frame 101 player 2 pushes d+P ? I can do that but it will be a while before i have free time to do some soldering.

At any rate, I think for the original question, the practical application remains the same - find situations for your character (or motions that waste exactly 10 frames) in order to do throws that can't be fuzzied / are harder to throw escape on reaction.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yeah, it's been published that it takes 6 frames to turn from Back Turned (and 3 frames from Side Turned FWIW).

Does that help explain the Jacky example? To be honest, I'm slightly confused as to what you were trying to prove/disprove?

3. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

I'm not understanding this too well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Anyone explain why I can get a zero frame back throw after Akiras 43p+g? Is it cause my opponents are expecting the guaranteed 3k or dblplm follow up so they don't input anything or is something else happening?

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

ha it still seems like we're all in this together in terms of trying to understand/explain 0f throws.

For that matter why is it you get a 0F throw after a K~G? KoD what do you mean by waste less than 10 frames. You mean putting yourself at +10 frames or -10 frames? concept of wasting frames doesnt' really make all that much sense to me.

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    K~G has nothing to do with it. Its just one way to waste time (not very good one). The point is that after a connected (hit or blocked) move by either player there is a 10 frame window within which 0f throws cannot occur. So in order to do 0f throws you must wait until that window is over. How you waste 10 frames is up to you. K~G is too slow to be used in those tight delay-10f-to-combo-throw situations, but can be used to make opponent evade fail,kill fuzzy etc.

For example Eileen has P+K which is +12 on normal hit. After a normal hit you can delay exactly 10 frames and do a 0f throw on your opponent which will "combo" because its 0 frames and the throw will hit that 2 frame window when opponent is still under hitstun. K~G cannot be used for this cause it takes much more than 10 frames. Just try dash and do the delay by feel.

ps. I didnt know backthrows can be 0frames.. Akiras RBC is +11 according to movelist, so theres one frame window to do 0f throw I guess.

6. Tricky

ah I get it now. If your opponent isn't doing anything 10f after a hit/garded move then you get a 0f throw?

7. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Hypothesis was that throwing as you turn from backturned ignores the 10f safety window, ie it's another exception to add to the list. I had the throw command completed on the 6th (or 7th frame depending on how you think about it). 2 frames of d+g, + 2 empty frames, + 2 frames of p+g, + 1 empty. Yet it was still a zero frame throw. Or at least a throw that didn't normally clash, had no grab animation, and couldn't be ducked at -5 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Srider mentioned this in regards to kage 4k at least a year ago as I recall, and I think he got shat on for it.

8. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    But you forgot to add the 6 frames for turning around to your 6 (or 7), which brings the total to 12 (or 13), satisfying the 10f window.

So, throwing from Back Turned does not ignore the 10f safety window.

BTW, any particular reason why you're doing 2 frames of 2G rather than just G?

9. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    No, I'm not forgetting to add 6 frames for turning. The 6 frames for turning starts with the initial 2g input, you don't turn around automatically.

B == backturned F == front.

BBBBBBFFFF
    GG--GG----
    DD--PP----

Also, if the throw was active on the 12th or 13th frame, you'd be able to duck it, which you can't.

If you want to think about it as backturned lets you buffer a throw in that will automatically come out at the end of the 10 frame safety window, thats fine, but the result is the same.

I'm doing 2 frames because in general 2 frame inputs are much more reliable than 1 frame.

10. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just so I'm clear, the above input is happening right after Jacky does 44P guarded, correct?

If so then on guard, Jacky has lost 3 frames already, and the throw in your chart won't activate until 7 frames after he's able to move again. 7 and 3 give you the magic 10?

BTW, I was asking why are you doing 2 frames of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif rather than just /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as opposed to 2 vs 1 frame of input.

11. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    10 frame safety window preventing YOU from doing a 0f throw starts when YOU leave stun, not at when your opponent leaves stun. If I walk up with lau and do 3P+K at close range and its guarded, I'm at -15. If I throw immediately after leaving stun, more than 10 frames have gone by since my opponent left stun, but it will not be a 0f throw. I have to delay in order to get the Of throw. (cpu opponent just standing there and guarding for example)

As far as I know, 2G turns you around faster than G does. Or maybe its just ingrained habit from doing 1 motion to start either fuzzy or 0f throw from backturned.

12. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I. Not home to test, but instead of pressing G and 2G before pressing P+G, did you try just pressing P+G at back turned (not even sure if that would result in a throw in the wrong direction, or turn you around and throw?)

My guess is that it would result in a 12-frame throw independent of opponent's action.

II. If you do 2G to turn around (I believe it is the same speed as just pressing G to turn around)...you should be recovering from crouch position, does it take additional frames to stand up before the throw comes out?

III. Based on what you are saying, if you:
    1) do a back-turned strike that puts you at a small disadvantage on block (-5 or less),
    2) CPU attempt to throw you after block (should come out as 12 frame throw. Program to do low throw or standing throw based on what method you used to turn around).
    3) do the G or 2G (6 frames, I assume it takes the same amount of frames to turn around crouching and standing) and immediately enter your P+G.

Then, you should get a 0-frame throw which would beat out the CPU 12 frame throw. I am at school/work, so not able to test this.

---

Anyway, except for some very advanced techniques, the advantages of 0-frame from 12-frame throw is more technical on the paper than practical, imho.

13. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    I. afaik most characters cant just do P+G from backturned unless its actually one of their moves, they'll get a backturned punch or something instead.

II. I don't know if throwing from a crouch is instant or not. I don't think this is a good context to test it, let me know if you think of an isolated way.

III. In this situation, I'm usually fuzzying anyway, so a throw after fuzzying will naturally beat a throw attempt whiff. Dunno about doing it as fast as possible, can test it later.

As for technical vs practical . . . I don't play kage or jacky, but from the little bit I've played lau, P4P gets me 0 frame throw from backturned very reliably. People don't fuzzy it, the way they would with jab ~ throw, and its a hell of a lot easier to input than jab (waste exact frames) throw.

Like I said in my first post when this thread got resurrected, exact mechanics (exception to the rule, or reliable way to waste exactly enough frames) are interesting. . . but however it works, it's more important to know that it does work, and where it works.

14. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Just watched a video with edo vs haijin

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif CH > turns around > TOO YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW 0f throw.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxmCB2CsJh8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxmCB2CsJh8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

1:30

15. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    II. not sure how to test it, just thinking of different reasons for the 0-frame throw to occur.

III. Make cpu opponent to be Jeffry or someone with a low throw? That should eliminate the fuzzying.

By the way, I thought in back-turned situation majority of characters (Pai's ff+k+G was an exception in version B...I think) cannot fuzzy against a mid versus throw. If you do 2G you will get hit by mid attacks, but can duck throws: no way to defend against both by tapping 2G.

16. Tricky

you actually can still fuzzy in ver C while backturned. with eileen you can do it after her 4K+G or K+G which leaves her backturned.

17. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    If you are playing people with very good defense then 0f throw becomes important, imo.

18. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    How does that work? You duck under a throw and get up just in time to eat an elbow to the back or to the side? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

19. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

doesn't look 0 frame to me? :?

20. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    You're right, sorry. I was seduced by the 3 frames of recovery and couldn't help but marry it to the 7 frames to make that perfect 10! But alas, part of me does not want to acknowledge that the 10 frame safety window is ignored/modified when BT, because I hate not knowing!

To play devil's advocate, did you program the input to occur exactly as Jacky recovered from 44P? Were there any frames wasted from the 44 dash input, assuming this was entered from a neutral state? Can you show us the input pattern you used starting from the 44P? Because a loose frame here and there could add up to that missing 3 we're (ok, I'm) looking for!

To answer a previous question, throwing from crouch is the same as from standing in terms of speed.

As for fuzzy from back turned in VF5, it can be done but only up to -5 with a normal crouch. At -6 BT you can CD to duck a throw, but a 14f elbow will hit. This was test with Lau's P4P (-5) and 66P+K (-6), both of which recover BT.