1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

2023 - Happy New Year and VF Expectations

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jan 9, 2023.

By akai on Jan 9, 2023 at 2:29 PM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    New year, new expectations. 2023 is the 30th anniversary of the Virtua Fighter series. What is everyone's wishes and expectations for 2023? Here are some of the shared messages from the official VF twitter account and also a message from Seiji Aoki on his expecations/goals for 2023 (famitsu article).

Sega New Year message.jpg

Aoki Famitsu.jpg

Happy New Year everyone, and happy VFing.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jan 9, 2023.

1. masterpo
      masterpo
      In 2023 I hope that Seiji Aoki and RGG decide to innovate with the Virtua Fighter series and build on the foundations of VF4, and VF4EVO rather than follow Tekken 8 and Street Fighter 6 trends.;)

In 2023 I hope Seiji Aoki and RGG choose a genuine Virtua Fighter look-n-feel as opposed to mimicking Street Fighter 6, or Tekken 8.:holla:

In 2023 I hope that Seiji Aoki opens up the Tournament Mode to work in Offline Versus and Single Player (y)

I am currently learning Japanese, maybe I can help Seiji with his English, and he can help me with my Nihongo:cool: As we discuss the future of VF:ROTFL:

Happy New Year VFDC!!!!
    2. Solomon Rayland
      Solomon Rayland
      I'd like an actual in-game story mode. Maybe with story sections for each canonical game in the series. I also hope that Virtua Fighter becomes more innovative and unique compared to other fighting games. That's exactly the reason why Street Fighter 6 is so popular and hype. The best fighting games are the ones that genuinely stand out from others, and that's exactly what I want for Virtua Fighter.
    3. Futaba
      Futaba
      Does it matter what we expect.
    4. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      _
      I agree.
      I hope VF6 will continue to innovate like VF always did.

I hope Mrr AOKI will respect VF tradition of being always a technical showcase , a beautiful game , an hommage to martial arts without mimicking other games .
      He must understand that VF was always ahead of its time.

There are so many ways to improve impacts than Sreet Fighter puff balls/Hit sparks
      Tere so many other ways to make side turn counters counters understandable by ANYONE than unrealistic cartoonish and outdated hit sparks :cry:
      Mr AOKi , I'm sure you can do better. (y)
      Be creative..!

VF has to be innovative in that regad. Not doing exactly what old fighting games were doing 30 years ago
      Because it's a huge step back .

VF has to be more creative than the competition.
      Technically impressive.
      Respect its DNA.
      Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
      Solomon Rayland and masterpo like this.
    5. Solomon Rayland
      Solomon Rayland
      Absolutely! Every fighting game is unique in some way. Guilty Gear has drastically different character playstyles, Tekken has an advanced movement system. Virtua Fighter was always about being well ahead of this time, and it seems to have lost its way with Ultimate Showdown. I hope Aoki can turn that around with Virtua Fighter 6.
      JCnextinc likes this.
    6. VanguardBronze
      VanguardBronze
      Something akin to Tekken 4 would be sublime.
    7. Solomon Rayland
      Solomon Rayland
      Tekken 4 wasn't actually a good game, but what makes it stand out is how brave it was in it's willingness to experiment with the game. Many of the stuff it experimented with actually ended up in later games.
    8. VanguardBronze
      VanguardBronze
      My bad, I was specifically talking about the story mode. T4 was the peak of the series' lore presentation; the atmosphere, the artwork, the cutscenes. Every character had a dignified portrayal. It took itself seriously and it paid off in terms of aesthetics and story.

I won't disagree with you about the quality of Tekken 4 overall as a fighting game.

Just imagine El Blaze having his own storyline like King and his feud with Marduk, or Brad Burns trying to find something out about his family to fill the void kickboxing can't fill, like Steve Fox. Complete with a prologue, rival fight, epilogue, and cutscenes for each?

That's something Virtua Fighter desperately needs. These characters are fun and great, but they need to be fleshed out and brought to life!
      Solomon Rayland likes this.
    9. Solomon Rayland
      Solomon Rayland
      Precisely! Virtua Fighter tells some of the best video game character stories in the history of video games as a whole! The only problem though is that there has never been a story mode to flesh out the characters and truly bring them to life.
      VanguardBronze likes this.
    10. faster 10 lightning
      faster 10 lightning
      VF6 will need a real story mode and a robust offer of single player content, at least if Sega wants to have a real chance in the current fighting games scenario (notice that Street Fighter 6 will have an entire "open world" mode similar to Shenmue).