1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[6 Oct 2012] Best Bout Beatdown 16 (Portland, OR)

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Chanchai, Oct 3, 2012.

Best Bout Beatdown 16
Start Date: 6 Oct 2012 11:00 PM
End Date: 7 Oct 2012 11:00 AM
Time Zone: America/Los_Angeles -07:00 PDT

2409 SE 49th Ave
Portland, OR 97206

Posted By: Chanchai

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

BEST BOUT BEATDOWN 16: YER ALL EXPENDABLES

Portland's Premiere Monthly Fighting Game Tournament!

What Games?
    Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012 Tournament (Xbox 360)
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 Tournament (Xbox 360)
    King of Fighters XIII Tournament (Xbox 360)
    Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (Xbox 360)
    Persona 4: Arena (Xbox 360)
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3)

When?
    Saturday October 6th, 2012
    Doors and signups open at 1PM
    1pm Doors and Signups open
    2PM: AE2012/VF5
    3:30PM TTT2/Persona 4
    5:00PM UMvC3/KoF

Where?
    Best Bout Gaming
    2409 SE 49th Ave.
    Portland, OR 97206
    503-442-5303

Stream?
    http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos

Cost?
    $5 venue fee to enter any tournaments
    $10 entry fee for SSF4/UMvC3 each. $5 entry fee for VF5, KoF, PS4, TTT2 each (goes to prize pool)
    (Free to watch)

Prizes?
    Cash for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each tournament
    Pot split 70/20/10

Format?
    Standard Double Elimination Format.
    The grand finals will be best 3 out of 5. All other matches will be best 2 out of 3 games. Marvel is all 3/5 games.

2. Chanchai

It looks like VF5: Final Showdown might get a bit more exciting this month as a format change to "All 3 out of 5 matches" is currently being discussed for the event!

Furthermore, the Summer tournaments saw 3 different champions at 3 different Beatdowns!

Beatdown 15 Champion: Yangsing/Gangnam Style - defeated R_Panda
    Beatdown 14 Champion: R_Panda - defeated Yangsing/Gangnam Style
    Beatdown 13 Champion: Chanchai - defeated AfroCole

3. Chanchai

We have an excellent roster confirmed for Virtua Fighter today!

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown tournament will be streamed following Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

At the very least, the Top 4 will be shown, but since we are playing 3 out of 5 for much of the tourney, there's a chance more matches will be shown too. Depends on how fast or slow AE goes.

Should be an exciting day for Portland VF! There's also a chance that a few of the Seattle VF players will make it down for this one.

4. Chanchai

Long overdue congratulations to AJS for winning Best Bout Beatdown 16!

Honestly, I felt that the Grand Finals match between AJS and Yangsing was a wonderful representation of Portland VF! I was pretty miserable after my matches with AJS and Yangsing, to be honest, but watching the grand finals (as a commentator at that) really cheered me up because these guys brought it and the matches were very entertaining!

I'm proud of you guys! And I hope I can bring it to you guys the next time we all fight in the same tournament (I won't be around in November, but I plan to be there in December)!

1. AJS
    2. Yangsing
    3. Chanchai
    4. R. Panda
    5. Mackinzie_
    5. Zonymash
    7. Hellsap
    7. Quickdraw
    9. Jaye

Other notes:

AJS & Yangsing simply get high praise from me for their matches at the tournament. You guys played the best VF and represented Portland VF best on Saturday! I cannot critique either of your games.

R_Panda - I think you and I were both fighting a lot of nerves and our own minds in this tournament. That said, I really enjoyed your match with Yangsing, both AJS and I agree that your punishment (in and out of the tournament) is scary as hell. That said, going to remind you what we talked about the session after EOS: Sometimes a simple defense is really all you need--trying to hit people for throwing shouldn't be your default way of dealing with the throws, throw escape guard is really good and I personally think your game is stronger when you use even that more. Yangsing especially took advantage of two things in your game as the match went on. The clearest example was when he repeatedly elbowed you like 3 times in a row because you tried to attack what seemed like you thought was going to be a throw, he punished your abare. Also, because you don't seem (I could be wrong) to use the throw-escape guard much, you're not guessing that much with your throw escapes at least in that matchup, you kept trying to escape back when the most dangerous throw from Kage is forward. Now I imagine you felt Simon would not go for the forward throw but go for back because everyone escapes the forward throw, but he saw that you were not escaping forward much--you need to adjust to your opponent's throw pattern and if you're going to lean on only one option, then cut off the most damaging one, but I think Yangsing is readable on throws. All this aside, your punishment and damage maximization is really good in VF in Portland, your flow does improve when you open yourself to reading your opponent (don't worry, I know that I was reading people less than you, Yangsing, or AJS on Saturday), and your match with Yangsing was very fun and had a lot of great stuff!

Mackinzie - I didn't watch your games because they were often happening while I was playing or busy with something. That said, always love your Lau and I am actually practicing him at home too ^_^ He's so much fun!

Zonymash - I also didn't see your matches but I always love the positive and fun energy you bring to events. I also enjoy watching your Jeffry when I get the chance (sadly not this time). Cheers and looking forward to more fights!

Hellsap - Always awesome to see you here, Mark. We need to do a session with your Taka! It's better than you think, but it can still be stronger, so let's work on that!

Quickdraw - Thanks for playing in the tournament, Andi! We need to do that Jean training. Fortunately, you have myself, Yangsing, and now AJS who have spent decent time with Jean!

Jaye - Dude, regardless of your placement, you play good VF now! That you don't have a system (same as Mackinzie) really speaks to how impressed I am with how you are playing VF now! Mackinzie told me he couldn't even out-VF you, he had to use shenanigans because you've become solid! Keep it up, I like your mixups, I like your flow. At this point, it's learning the character in depth. Keep it up!

As for me... umm... pretty miserable with my play against AJS and Yangsing but they earned their victories and I needed to actually fight my opponent, I was fighting myself. I was trying to play tricks, I was not actually guessing or forcing guesses, I was also listening to conversations around me. I deserved to get beat down pretty good by them and I need to pick myself up and improve. (I also need to catch up on my other VF duties like that EOS report :p).

Cheers!

BTW, the VF Top 4 matches streamed starts at around 1:23:00

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos/b/334683710

Bracket: http://khaosgaming.challonge.com/tb16vf5fs

Also, check out http://www.khaosgaming.com/

parabolaStuff and Tricky like this.
  5. slash5150

slash5150 New Member

Chanchai and R_Panda like this.
  6. Chanchai

Slash, thanks so much for doing this!