1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

BLACKSTAR's video thread

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by BLACKSTAR, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Almost unusable but

dont get me wrong though, that move is ass lol

Craigbot, steelbaz and BLACKSTAR like this.
  2. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Oh yeah, that IS usable! If you can practically SMELL someone trying to mash buttons off of their back, y not??

And then it does 30 damage by itself on NH, 45 DMG on CH?? (most combo starters start at 20)

We probably wont get this off much on high level players, but there are pleeeenty of others who will press buttons off their back without thinking. Thanks for the find, man

Tricky likes this.
  3. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Front page update, Online matches [05/17/13]

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Leave Eileen Alone, Leave her alone!

[​IMG]

CarolinaPanther, BLACKSTAR and Cozby like this.
  5. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Front page update,
    Online Battles [05/17/13,part 2]​

6. Wakke

Wakke Active Member

I don't know what it is, but that Sarah-with-eyepatch drawing in the OP under 'Sarah Bryant - Quick Tip #1 - Valkyrie Low Wall Hit' just makes me happy from looking at it:D

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  7. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Front page update, part 4 of Sarah Breakdown Vid is up

8. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Okay, okay, okay. Lets bring back the [2][P][+][K][K] vs. [1][K] argument. I'm gonna list some comparable pros and cons of each.

[2][P][+][K][K]

Pros
    16f execution (extremely good for punishing)
    60-70 dmg on most characters (on normal hit)
    confirmable natural combo on standing and crouching opponents
    decent oki

Cons
    Doesn't work on Taka
    Range isn't great (first kick will hit, and the 2nd will whiff sometimes)
    Wall hit causes a basic wall hit hard knockdown, but no combo (near the wall, when punishing a -16 low [6][P][K] is better)
    First kick is -10, BUT from BT its -8. Second kick is always -15. (Not necessarily a con in a sense, but worth noting)
    On Counter hit, the launch will always be the same height.

[1][K]

Pros
    75-90 dmg all the way across the board
    Works on Taka :)
    Even more damage on counter hit, over 100 on lights.
    Really strong oki opportunities with hard knockdown potential and flops.
    Will always wall splat when near wall, can slump from farther out.
    Good range, can be used for whiff punishing

Cons
    17f execution (not really a con, 17f launchers are standard)
    -15. (standard)

Final Verdict: Both moves have different purposes, and one isn't intended to replace the other. However, Sarah players should never, ever use Serpent Cannon when the opportunity arises to use Dragon Cannon.

Side note:

As far as -18 punishment goes, [4][K] and [8][K] might be better than [1][K]! [1][K] is always guaranteed but the following is important to know:

"I've been messing around in the lab, and after testing, a [8][K] crouch stagger into FL [3][K] is more difficult to escape from than a [4][K] stagger. [8][K] is 17f like [4][K] but it also does more damage. The range to land [8][K] into FL [3][K] has to be pretty close for it to work.

[8][K] stagger -> FL [3][K] -> [6_][P] -> [6][K][+][G] -> [6_][P] -> [6][6][K][+][G] does over 100 on the lightweights in closed stance.

It should be noted that if you start the same combo with [4][K] from open stance, the same combo will work, since [8][K] switches foot position."

Also, crouch stagger into FL [6][K][+][G] launches AS HIGH AS [1][K] normal hit. Thats lots of damage to be had, especially from a [8][K] stagger.

__

Anywho, gs man. I know this stuff takes a loooong time to make but it's certainly good for players. I had no clue [6][P][+][K][P] jailed, which could mean a ringout under the right means?

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  9. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Ooh one last thing. [6][P][+][K][P][K] is really good to beat throw attempts out of nitaku. I dont use it much for the purpose personally but I should try it more.

Also against the wall Sarah can punish with [6][P][+][K][P][K] > [6][K][K] > [1][K] (or finisher of choice). It does mid 70s i believe.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  10. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    man, your posts are full of good info. You summarize the pros/cons of Serpent Smash Cannon vs. Dragon Smash Cannon way better than I did. And TBH, I never thought about using 4K or 8K as -18 punishers! I'm gonna try that out and see how well it works, but if it does, that's potentially more damage (i'm assuming approaching half-life damage)

My only thing about 1K vs. 2P+KK is this: I might have set an improper tone when discussing the cons of 1K -- though I never actually stated to 'use Serpent Smash instead of Dragon Smash Cannon', the way I presented it may have made it seem like 'using 1K at all is a bad idea', when really its not. Also, when speaking of comparing the two launchers, I consider Taka a special case, though I didn't mention that either.

My main gripes with 1K is its inconsistency and pigeon-holed range of uses. The fact that launch differs on NH depending on standing/crouching really messes up its use as a mid attack (beating crouchers from any state is the best thing about mids). You still get good damage either way, but the fact that I have to visually confirm the height of my launched opponent before going to a combo increases the chances of it being dropped, even for vets. This makes it less reliable on NH.

And because it's less reliable on NH, its only real use (IMO) is to get CHs. And for that, I (normally) find it easier and safer to use 14f KP for that, which is faster startup, covers more frame situations, and is safer (even though it is a high, the worst you really have to worry about is a CH 2P, rather than a 15f punish on a blocked 1K. Its also somewhat 'safer' on evade). Plus, you get almost the same damage in most cases.

I like Serpent Smash Cannon more, personally, because it covers more uses in-game. I don't really go for CHs as much with this move.....and the fact that 2P+K does only 10 damage and will lose in clashes to elbows makes it even more of a reason I won't do so. But as I mentioned above, I'll use KP for that, or I'll use 6P if I want to trade damage and range for mid properties and heavy frame advantage. Since I already have other tools for CH, I use 2P+K/2P+KK as a conditioning tool to force people to stand up.

Conditioning players is an absolute necessity for playing a good Sarah, as that's the only way you'll get her good stuff off. 1K is a 'not-so-great' conditioning tool (because it's not a 'consistent' mid attack). 2P+K/2P+KK is a good, consistent conditioning tool, as its a relatively fast (16f) launcher, and is not easy to punish, due to the fact that you can stagger the two kicks, or just use one kick, creating somewhat of a defensive 50-50 situation. 1K is a CH tool when (IMO) Sarah has better, safer, faster, and more reliable, less YOLO CH tools in KP, 6P and maybe a few others. 2P+K/2P+KK is not a good CH tool, but it doesn't even need to be used as a CH tool

Cozby likes this.
  11. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    That being said, I'll definitely use 1K alot for Taka, for situations where I ABSOLUTELY 100% KNOW it will CH, as a backdash-->launch tool, or as guaranteed punish for -18 situations

Cozby likes this.
  12. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Manjimaru likes this.