1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Build a DVD with Full Menus, etc

Discussion in 'Help' started by Rodnutz, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    I am starting a DVD project and I want to create it with full menus and add flowchart diagrams that work seamlessly with the video. Unfortunately this is all new to me so I have no clue which DVD building software I should use. I have heard Adobe Premiere thrown around a lot, but I don't know anything about it. Can anyone with some experience in this area recommend something for me?

2. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

I have heard that Adobe Premiere is pretty complex. I wanted to try it but it requires an SSE2 processor to run which I dont have (AMD Athlon). Maybe try Adobe Premiere Elements first.

Alternatively, you could also use Pinnacle Studio 11 for DVD authoring although I'm sure it doesn't offer you quite the bandwidth of options as Adobe would.

3. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Thank you. Yea I remember tinkering with Premiere a few years ago and I couldn't get anywhere. I am sure it's great if you know how to use it, because the options available to you are just incredible.

I'll check out Studio 11 and see what things it offers. Thanks again for the recommendation.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    If you're just wanting menus (not sure what you mean by flowcharts though?) and simple DVD authoring, then Adobe Premiere is a massive overkill (like Wolf's Giant Swing when you've got 1pt health left!). Premiere is primarily used for video editing. But if your editing needs are simple, then Microsoft's MovieMaker (free) should be adequate.

BTW, Adobe's DVD Authoring software is called Encore, and comes bundled with Premiere Pro as of CS3. This is expensive ($$), production level software though, which again might be way more than you need. Also, learning how to use these tools isn't exactly easy.

I recommend you check out http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd for a variety of DVD Authoring packages ranging from freeware, shareware to commercial software. You may have to try a few to find one that works for you.

Good luck, and it would be cool if you post some feedback if you eventually find a solution!

5. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Thanks Myke! I will definitely check out this link. What I meant by flowcharts is, I am trying to recreate a VF3 style training video with still images of a flow chart that's accompanied by moving video as well as voice overs. I know this task is beyond me and probably beyond the time that I can spare to get it done, but still I want to try and do this. Here is an example of what I have in mind. This is just something I was messing with trying to get ideas of how I want things to look.

http://home.earthlink.net/~konjou/Untitled.jpg

So the flow of the video will basically be like this.

* Introduction talking about the system
    * Flowchart based around a particular move like the example in the pic you just saw. This is where the voice over will come into play talking about each step followed with a vid showing the step in action with it's own voice over.
    * Tips / Tricks / Setups based on character
    * Combo exhibition
    * Match play vs random character with rewind of each round and during the rewind replay there will be voice over explaining the decisions I made based on the flow of the match.
    * Credits

So as you can see this will not be an easy task and I am most likely starting something that will be extremely hard to finish. So I need a program that gives me the flexibility to build these flowchart sheets within it while still having the ability to function as a normal DVD creation software. Most likely I will have to create the float charts in Paint, Photoshop, etc,.... whatever can be imported into the DVD creation software. I hope I didn't make this to confusing.

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Well if your flowcharts will just be a static image, which will be later followed by video, then that kind of editing is easily handled with something like Microsoft Movie Maker.

Now that I have a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish, I would suggest you start just on the video editing first. That is, capture the videos and voice overs you need, and create the supporting flowcharts and other screens. This is probably 95% of the effort involved, with the last 5% probably going toward the actual DVD authoring with menus, etc.

Good luck dude.

7. ZeroEx

ZeroEx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zeextremekid
    XBL:
    Zeextremekid
    Ok, let me get this straight...

- You already captured the video.
    - Edited the video, including voice overs, and titles.
    - And since you've done all the above, you want to make a DVD menu, based on the video you've created?

In other words, create an interactive DVD, with sections containing tutorials for each topic accompanied by a video.

Eg. This video.

Or do you just want to do this?
    Here with the text showing the inputs.

8. Rodnutz

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    exactly like the second one. Strider is the man! Good stuff!

9. ZeroEx

ZeroEx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zeextremekid
    XBL:
    Zeextremekid
    Ok

So you don't need DVD software then, you want Video editing software such as Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas or Window Movie Maker to edit the footage and include titles and audio dialogs.

If you need help doing the edit, I can do that.

10. Leonard_McCoy

Ah, so that is what he wants. If you just started to get into the editing matter I'd recommend Pinnacle Studio 10 or 11 which is fairly easy-to-use.

I also did my Goh Okizeme vid with it.

11. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

wow that Goh video is awesome, great work! Makes you actually want to play Goh!

12. Leonard_McCoy

Thanks alot. I actually wanted to redo some voice-overs. But crap remains crap even after the fifth take, I said to myself. Can't get rid of this posh English accent (some1 told me that) anyway. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

13. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

no the voice over is good, it's fully understandable which is what counts. Posh get's my vote /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbs_up.gif
    (*shudders to think of actual Uk vfr's voiceovers* lol)

14. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hands down best production VF video by a fan. konjou, I think this is what youre shooting for right?

and the website....top notch

much props

p.s nice use of vf3 music /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

15. Leonard_McCoy

Thanks alot for the praise ^.^

P.S. Regarding the music: there's still the VF3er inside me. Ever will.