1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Feet Position Change

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Mackfactor, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    </div></div>

You just flat out dismissed the purpose of this thread. There is no need for this thread if checking stance at launch is all thats needed (I dont agree with that either btw) </div></div>
    *sigh*

How does saying "listing out moves that change feet position is pointless" equate to me "dismissing the value of learning how to do stance specific combos"? One more time, I encourage everyone to learn how to check stance when it's needed. I just don't think listing out commands per character is a practical way to do that.

As Flash said, it's a visual thing that you should train your eye for, and not something you memorise on paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imo theres less effort needed if you only pay attention to when the stance changes rather than stare at it all the time.</div></div>
    Stances can change so much during the match due to both character's actions that it's a wasted effort to always watch for when it changes. Again, Jacky repeatedly doing P+K+G stance switches will drive you nuts.

"Oh shit, he changed stance, oh shit, he changed stance, oh shit, he changed stance, oh shit, he changed stance, oh shit, he changed stance, oh sh..." You see how stupid this is? Who fucking cares about the stance changing all the time?

Only check it when you need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or check it before you do a stancespecific-launcher rather than checking it after the launch and propably missing the followup. I guess this is where peoples mileage may vary. </div></div>
    I always recommend to check after the launcher, because the launcher itself may change your own feet position. What matters in a combo is the stance you're in now (post-launch), and not what you were in before (pre-launch).

2. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    if anyone would like to contribute its much appreciated. I know some might not find it useful.. Maybe I wont be able to utilize it. But heres an instance where i used it. P+K eileen changed her in closed, i knew that.. prior to that i didnt know where the feet was.. yes i could have picked it up visually,,, but me anticipating a stance chage made me anticipate it a split second earlier and i was a lil more attentive, then second watched the stomach switch. BUt i was ready, when the P+K was activated my mind registered to be more alert for looking at feet position. When im facing another goh, I feel like a have a split second faster reaction on stance because of maybe anticipation ( EX, 3 K )that split second can mean alot if ur buffering a shoulder ram in close stance. Also i plan to use evry character in the game to some extent having this info for switches stances will also help me learn the others at a faster pace. Even if this info only helps me 1/100 i matches, then im cool with that, i would still like to know, because i dont feel complete. i try to get as much info and try to register it, then trying to apply it in my game. some ideas work some ideas dont. I want to know more than just basic and fundamentals at this point. I apologize if this thread will scare away new players, but I do alot on my end along with KAMinaryi and a few others to teach a alot of new players believe me. I love this game and i would like to contribute to VFDC in any means. I would love to see more new players.

I just wanted to say, this info is important to me. Perhaps not to others, but maybe one day it might. And i hope ppl will disregard, and help me with this post thanks
    much appreciated. I got my goh the level the way it is ( which still needs alot of work.. I got long long ways to go.. ) and alot of my goh style revolves around learning from other players and thinking out of the box. For example, i like to single palm P, one day i thought hey lets do B P+G, F P, at least ill break 1 throw during an attack on evade, better than not doing 1 at all. WAIT, MY BAD social ruin told me that.. so it was him thinking outside the box, haha neways... I do alot of things on my worksheet on other characters that have helped me fight alot in constructing diff strats vs diff characters at a much quicker pace. Neways, some ppl think i dont use the info u guys are giving me, but i ask questions. I RECEIve answers and i apply them into my game if it works. Evry info that each member of VFDC has given me vital info, and i wouldnt have improved as quick if it werent for alot of ppl on here. Sometimes i ask some questions that may not seem useful, but believe me ,MACK, is always thinking and up to something. For ex. sometime down the road, i wanna see if i can notice KP FOOT STANCE CHANGE sarah, and buffer shoulder ram to beat high.. MAYBE it wont work.IMAGINE this boris of whales, having that 1 second faster reaction in knowing which combo to do plus 1 second faster to buffer the 33 6 P, maybe that move has also evasive properties in close/open? imagine knowing the power of executing and anticipating faster. Say if u wanna evade to gohs back, if u knew my 3 K change stance u will also have that split second anticipation. but, at least with info like this i can at least create formulas and ideas on how to defend better and see if it works. Without valid info, experimenting and thinking outside the box is tough. IF u guys want i can create a thread about if knowing this info or is useful or not.. but in this thread, i would just like to get some info because, the debates may lead some to think the info is completely useless and may feel discouraged to post the moves that change stances. Any info to VFDC is good, new players may be turned off some might be turned on from advanced strats i duno.. at least the info is there, Currently there is no list of moves that are punishable from -9 for evry character on here i think. but i have my own in scrap paper. I think ppl should have like a cheat sheet for punishing moves. There are some info, i cannot find sometimes so i ask. Maybe one day, another crackhead will have the same odd questions as me and want to know the answer to it in foot position. its not that time consuming either once we got a list of evrybodys character feet positioned change moves, you can just copy and paste and maybe just go over it just once or twice which takes maybe 15 min? its a quick and easy, no numbers. ITS alot easier than say me, bringing frame data to work and remembering NH, G, CH on evrybody.
    Ill get gOh up and running soon. sorry delay

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I use Eileen and i don't really bother. I may check every now and then, but am trying to train myself to spot the stance in the air as others have recently suggested. It's big for Eileen because her shoulder ram natural combos into 236KKK in open stance.

your opponents front foot will be higher in the air when they're floated(sorry if this has been said already). I'm not sure how to check with slams/crumples. Are there other visual cues?

4. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Stance and watching your opponents back is pretty important for Jacky if you want to do max damage.

You can make up a bunch of damage by being in closed or catching the flop with an OM to their back.

It's not as important when I play Wolf though.

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    No, it doesn't, and I believe everyone can do things their own way.

Ps Jacky doing repeated P+K+G is asking for a SDE to the mouth.

Both are always fixed to how the combo works, so looking at stance pre-launch - which is what I do, so sorry if its pointless - is just as valid as looking at it post-launch. (How can you even have a open/closed stance since opponent is in the air..) You may know that the launcher changes stance like from the list given, but it doesnt matter if you have practised to do the combos from the pre-launch stance. I know SDE changes stance, but that doesnt matter since for example if I noticed the stance was open pre-launch, I know I can do P -> ffKK. Postlaunch stance doesnt matter, or matters, just as much as the pre-launch stance.

Stance doesnt change randomly, it always changes the same way from the same move. Which is what the list was all about and why there is no pressing need to recognize post-launch stance since you can simply watch pre-launch stance.

You have more time to think "If this move connects Ill do this-and-this combo". Instead of "oh I launched him, what the stance is..its open! I do..oh he teched"

And lastly,
    OT was not talking about ability to do stance-specific combos per se. He was listing moves that switch stance. Period.

pps. I wish to contribute but Im pressed for time and cant spend time in the dojo right now..

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm not going to argue post/pre-launch stance checking with you. I'll stick with my recommendation, and you stick with yours. I just find mine to be less demanding to worry about, and find it funny when you say:

to which I have to ask, if you always (or only) check stance pre-launch, and Jacky is in between a stance switch, then you're screwed. Same goes for any character that happens to be in the middle of a move that you just happen to counter hit -- you'll have no idea what the pre-launch stance was for your combo.

But with checking stance post-launch, this becomes a non-issue, because you don't care what the opponent was doing during launch. And if you think the hit-checking skill required to see the stance post-launch is too hard, then I don't know what to say.

LOL. How long have you been playing VF again?

eeeerrrr.. he was listing moves that switch stance in the context of performing stance specific combos. First line of the first post reads:

See? He been combo working! But I'm beyond fucking caring. I've already said there's value to be had in this thread, and I've encouraged people to contribute if they want to.

But you? Please, please stop replying to me. If you were a VF character, then the one move you would have that changes your feet would be whenever you opened your mouth.

[​IMG]

7. kamaage

kamaage Active Member

In my opnion, checking stance contantly is just too difficult.
    What I do is to check it when the combo luncher hits like 666P of Akira.

when 666P counter hits, There are mainly two combos.
    666P - P - 66KK
    666P - P - 246P
    So I can check whether in open or close stance while I hit P.
    Same as 46P combo.
    Doing so, I do not always need to think of stance.

Some players including me believe that we have limited CPU in our brain and we need to effectively use it. I use 70% of my CPU what the opponent is going to do. and remaining 30%, I use it for diffensive thing.

If I must check stance constantly, I must use probably 20% of my CPU for it. if two character's distance is far, may be ok but if its in short range fight, I may use more CPU.

So I just can not afford to use it. But thinking back to combo, the story is different. When the combo launcher hits, I can use my 100% CPU to stance because opponent can not do anything about it so nothing else to think about.

The unfair thing is my CPU is Pentium3 800Mhz but Koedo's CPU is Xeon Dual Core(may be more). So He may be able to care about stance while doing other things.

Well, anyway, What I wanna do is checking stance is important but it should be checked when its needed because there are more critical things to use your CPU for.

8. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

The CPU analogy IMO is good because the more you have to react to, the slower your reaction time will be. I can't constantly check the foot position, and hit check whether my launcher was guarded, hit, or CH and respond with the appropriate actions too well. Maybe not for all launchers, but some allow leeway in timing for the second hit of the combo. Brad's jabs after his [6][P][+][K] lands can be delayed and the rest of the combo will still connect. I'm not sure, but you might be able to delay the jab after Akira's [4][6][P] -> [P] -> Dbplm too. The leeway is important because it gives you time to react with a combo filler or defensive technique, depending upon what happens.

A good way to practice this is to use a drill that Konjou uses. If your character is, say, Akira, go into Dojo Mode and set the CPU to guard and counter with an elbow or throw. Use a move that is -6, and fuzzy guard block the mids and when the throws whiff, whiff punish with [4][6][P]. It might take you a while to react in time, but it's a good way to practice countering after fuzzy guarding and reacting with the proper combos. With Brad it is better because his 14 frame whiff punisher switches his stance.

Thanks goes to tonyfamilia for telling me about this drill. [​IMG]

9. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    You asked not to respond to your posts but you also asked a question. Heres the answer: since fall 1995.

10. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Can't you land 666P - P -3K+G 6P 466P+K in R?

11. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay

12. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

I think he was using a 5 combo merely as an example.

The staple from SDE in R is [6][6][6][P] [P] [6][K][P] [​IMG][4][6][P]

13. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Christ, that must net a lot of damage.

14. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

He's making a joke because the characters still have a clear stance while in the air.

15. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    sorry manji but you just totally got....

[​IMG]

16. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    i appreciate ur guys feed back. i agree with evryone here.
    I remember JOHOSEPH that goh player, had a video explaining how to notice combos in the air with feet position. So you guys can refer to that for stance checking with the bent feet or with leg is sticking out more. So for combo purposes i agree, its better to do that.

I acknowledge that this info is abundant.. and perhaps i should focus my attention elsewhere. mack has a plan with this info, and plans to use it down the road. I like ur guys feedback and love reading this debate about this topic. Perhaps down the road, i can find useful info with the info u provided. I love to test out stuff and post my findings on VFDC.

but, i guess ill do the rest of the characters myself.
    but if anyone else wants to help me, this info i really much appreciate.

For evryone has helped so far, I really really appreciate the time u took for this info. Also love reading about this debate. Ill have go up shortly. Im lazy atm..and kinda discouraged that noone is taking my post seriously.

17. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Same goes for any character that happens to be in the middle of a move that you just happen to counter hit -- you'll have no idea what the pre-launch stance was for your combo.
    </div></div>

But if you memorize every move that changes stance from every character in the game and can recognize them from their first few frames of animation then when you go to launch with SDE which you know changes stances all you have to know is on what animation frame the stance shift happens and calculate whether this stance shift occurs before, during or after your SDE is going to connect.

If the shift is going to happen before the SDE connects then you'll know the stance situation will be the same as the one in front of you since SDE changes too.

If the stance shift is going to happen after the SDE is going to connect then the stance situation will be different than the one in front of you.

All of this is easy to calculate. Say you are going to be MC'ing Jeffry's [3][K]. You know what this looks like. If you know that this move takes 16 frames to hit and think about how fucking far that leg is out there before the move is in hit phase then you know that from where his leg passes the other hip and stretches all the way out has to be like 10 frames. This is called the stance shift frame gap, or SSFG. When you know the SSFG, you just take the difference between your opponents' move EXE (opEXE) & your move EXE (meEXE) (in this case it's SDE which will be 14 frames +1 for the dash), add your frame advantage (frAD) & if the product is greater than the SSFG, then you'll be hitting before the shift occurs and you'll be in a different stance situation than you are in now (in the case of SDE). If the product is greater than the stance situation will be the same, I think. Remember, opEXE - meEXE + frAD v SSFG & you'll be fine.

If the stance shift is going to happen as you hit with the SDE then watch the shadow. I find watching the shadow to be one of the most effective techniques in dealing with stance ambiguity. If the shadows are smooth, you are probably in parallel stance & if the shadows are more jagged, you are most likely in 8 stance. Simple really.

18. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

^Hmmm, indeed.

19. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Can't wait to see you again, man. Go go go SoCal VF PARTY!