1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

flamingo catch throw-multi throw escape

Discussion in 'Sarah' started by Yupa, May 1, 2009.

1. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Something I've been doing for a while now is inputing throw escapes during the execution of Sarah's flamingo catch throws. These 2 throws take 15 frames to connect and Sarah is vulnerable to being thrown. It's a good defensive habit to get into.

FL /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

Just get in the habit of hitting /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif 3 times when you use the flamingo throws. Continue holding forward for the 2nd /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and then move the stick to the next highest priority throw, either /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif are also good, but I find most people that try to stop me from throwing them out of flamingo with their own throw tend to rely on their neutral thow.

You certainly have time to enter a third throw escape. If you're fast enough, mash away.

You can also use this technique with Sarah's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif catch throw, but I tend to use that throw primarily when it's more or less guaranteed, not in the nitaku situation I try to create when in flamingo.

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Nice. I hadn't thought about this.

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Here's another wrinkle that occured to me on the drive home this morning:

FL/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif backflip escape is also vulnerable to throws. So you can buffer throw escapes during the backflip.

FL/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif for example. I think /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif is a good choice here because most opponents will be chasing after Sarah dashing forward.

Also, I think I may have figured out which attacks hit the backflip and which ones never will. It's so easy to program/implement, I don't know why it didn't occur to me before now. The flamingo backflip has the same invulnerability to linear attacks that a successful defensive movement does. This means that any straight attack, even if it connects with Sarah will whiff, but full circular attacks, if they connect, will hit her out of the back flip. I don't know how half-circulars fair, it could be stance specific. I'll have to test it out. At least that's been my observation how it works.