1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Found Ver.A in Japan

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by BK__, Sep 23, 2004.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Hi guys..

ok, it,s my second day in japan, and i just visited akihabara today. so far i have been to sega GIGO and club sega. there is only one FT machine in sega gigo, and it is ver.A!

so far i couldnt recognize any changes. there was a poster on the wall which pretty much just stated the original changes posted by myke. if there is anything you would like me to try, just ask from here.

i have also bought the FT master guide which pretty much would cover almost anything from the original. my japanese reading is not so good, so in the next week or so, i will scan in the pages and you can translate if this book has not been covered already.

the scene itself so far is pretty standard, i havent had any problems beating anyone, and i dont really rate myself high.. i beg for some more advice on arcade locations, etc as i really want to see some of the top guys. segaru hideo, cmr, arashi, chibita etc are all on my list. *__* (Ryan, Help!! lol)

the play in general is very nice tho, if there is one thing i comment on, it's the fuzzy guarding. infact its so tight that people keep falling for my low throw traps, lol. so far, i have only played as wolf, i beg beg beg for somebody to tell me how to edit my card name and items (atleat the name). do i need a phone or something? please answer that.

i cant comment on much about wolf. although i dont know how to time the df+p+g -- b,f+k, the kick just isnt comming out. although the new b+k is very nice indeed. an awsome SS setup, and is good to mix with low lariat or big range throw like GS or KS. His side throws have also changed animation.

the new ground throw animation after opps mis a KS recovery had me in tears of laughter. he picks up the opp by the head and smacks em down with an elbow, lol.

some things to clarify is that wolf's closed stance b+p-- (F)pk,g-- screw hook combo works on aoi too as i think somewhere here it's mentioned that it dont or didnt. the knee lift can get a p, screw hook on midweights, not sure if counter or not. (although i dont know how to use my card very well so i cant try it yet).

anyhow, that's all i have so far. there are some good gohs here to just to mention. i will post back if there are any updates, and if i can squeeze some info out of my FT guide. if you want me to try some things out, feel free to mention.

laterz..

2. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

.the scene itself so far is pretty standard, i havent had any problems beating anyone, and i dont really rate myself high.. i beg for some more advice on arcade locations, etc .

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nice report, now get your ass down to some good arcades /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif, hows remi doing, finding the sticks etc ?
    Btw any good Aoi's you played, good setup's etc?

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

sup oli, remi got bang up, lol... nah, hes doing fine..

i think those two arcades are standard for high level (i.e for videos on this site?). it feels like everybody you face has good experience and knowlege of VF. i have been practicing sick on my fuzzy guarding ans TEs before i came, so i dont really know what the conditions are on the comp levels.

the sticks are heaven. can even do some tight stepping, so fuzzy guarding is very solid. i saw a movie onscreen of hideo vs itabashi zangeifu so i assume (hope) they visit there.

take care guys, btw. i faced only one aoi. he was just rinsing the low sweep -- elbow oki game, got real predictable. ill see if there is any better players tomorrow hopefully. tho i didnt stay there long today.

(also cant wait for tokyo game show!)

4. Crazy_Galaxy

Ah nice one man sounds like your having mad fun! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif (that Aoi sounds dry /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) go bang up some famous heads! ^_^
    Say hi to Saur (My Vf Teammate) if you see him , he's going tokyo games show too.

5. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

BK,

Don't know if you noticed, but I've been translating the Master Guide for a while now. Wolf has already been covered. Find the link to it in one of the sticky's.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

yeah, i thought that might have been the master guide.

ok then, one thing i didnt know though was that toe stunner is guaranteed after wolfs catch, change - fp+g.

hey, can anyone translate how to change name & items via PC? i sortta know in theory how to do it, but its all in japanese. thnx

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

ok, a little more about the scene... i reckon that this wont really have much to do with FT specific info anymore due to current sources. if any mods want to move this thread, then sure, be my guest. since there is already a few japan FT reports around.

ok, i went to shibuya two days ago and found hi-tech land. in there, i think is the best place ive been. still no sign of any familiar faces, but the play seems to be much more solid. i stayed there for about 20 mins or so, managed to kick some wolf off his machine (3-0) after he got quite a good win streak. after that i kept getting challenged by a lei/brad player. he was good, i think his lei was much stronger and he was was using a nice mix up after rolling with a throw or KK, some of the FT setups im not used to baffled me for a while, but i guess was relieved i hadnt lost a match yet.

then... the most solid goh player i have ever seen other than arashi came from nowhere. i cant remember his ring name, but it was nothing unusual. in the first match, it was quite easy playing. i was pretty much relying on fuzzy guarding his elbow setups so i got to 2 rounds up pretty quickly, i was like [`so....what`]..... then he showed me the real power and trashed me next 3 rounds. i felt kindda teefed, so i challenged again only to witness his play warmed up.

it was incredable. i could actually see him for myself abusing ARE that even when he was at -10 i was still missing throws! so any way, my FT card pretty much went from 16 / 6 to about 16 / 14 pretty quickly in that space of time. after being whooped x times in a row, i finally managed to beat him 3-0. after that he picked brad and i beat him again, i guess that was just secondary character play for ya. anyhow, the guy looked really young, id say 17-18yrs old.

the most surpizing thing i ever saw at VF was incredably cute female players kicking ass. that was just watchable material. i didnt even want to challenge them either, lol.

the next place i visited was sega gigo but in shibuya. the sticks were dry imo, the the competition was top teir, i mean REAL top teir, ARE was like every safe guess and my screw hook flow charts were getting owned. i blame 30% of it all on the sticks, but thats just me thinking of london sticks. it wasnt nice playing against such high level and getting command errors by jumping in the air like an idiot.

didnt play there long at all.

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

went back to club sega in akihabara for some all day VF, there was alot of people comming in and out, so the variety was perfect.

the play was at some of its highest, some players i couldnt defeat no matter how much money i slammed in, but the majority of players wasnt too bad, the rest i had no troubles with at all. i reckon i have learnt alot about defense, atleast about how players are using it. its helped me smash some opponents i could never dream of defeating.. but i could never say i am at high level, i wish i can one day.

every wolf i faced that day i had no touble at all, except for one who was a member of Team Tank Tops, his wolf was utterly amazing. completely read me. the first match it was a 3-2 tight match, i think we were just learning eachothers play. but he finished me off with a surprise low throw (which ive had enough of that from Jun!!) the next match, he smashed me 3-1, then the third match i came back with a 3-0 so i was really happy! ^___^.

just for optimus, i faced about 3 different aoi players and i could not defeat any of them, she is now officially a pain in the ass! if there is one thing i learnt out here is not to keep on trying against an opponent u cannot beat. they warm up fast!

i think i will go to shinjuku next, and see whats up. one other thing im depressed about is that every time i choose not to use my card, im on like 5 plus match win streaks, every time i put in my card, i get my losses back up -___=

anyhow, laterz.

9. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

bk, how much longer will you be around? i would love to get some instruction from an english speaker and learn a few tricks.

as for shinjuku, nishi sportsland is the place to go. it's a little bit hard to find but if you get out at the west exit in shinjuku station and delve deep into the electronic neighborhood you can find it. it's underground and competition is rough.

10. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

We are leaving on friday morning so thursday will be our last day to get some vf action. I will post my report when i get back to the UK. Probably on saturday when i have recovered from the long ass flight.

11. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

went back to club sega in akihabara for some all day VF, there was alot of people comming in and out, so the variety was perfect.

the play was at some of its highest, some players i couldnt defeat no matter how much money i slammed in,

[/ QUOTE ]

Akihabara has the most varied skill level I've seen. You get a lot of gamer overflow from the electronics district, but it's also the only real "arcade-friendly" spot on that side of the Yamanote-line. The only thing close is Ueno, and who the fuck hangs out there? As such, there's a mish-mash of poor and very strong players in Akihabara.

The one thing you can always count on though -- the smoke, since it's now illegal to smoke outside in Chiyoda-ku.

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

varied, ill say.. /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

smoke ---- DEFINATLEY

today the competition was fairly easy for standard junky play, i was on like an 8 plus man win streak (without my card inserted AGAIN), and even had time to complete arcade mode^^.. until one thing happened..

Edo kage walked in through the door looking tired and late for something. as soon as he sat down to kick somebodys ass 3-0 i walked up to get my chance.

normally, i would say to people that by watching alot of his vids, his play looks real mediocre that i never took much notice in him. but i think that was my worst pain more than anything after walking out today... one thing which really worried me is that i was expecting his kage, but found that he chose lau instead (i havent seen his lau since the old green book dvd!). Now i have absolute next to zero experience against lau so i then found i am in real need of some.

as soon as i sat down, i felt a little confident, especially after Daisuke / genjin once told me that he smashed him quite silly (in nicer words /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) so the first round i got him in an `exellent`. after the play got a little more warmed up i found that i had just lost the match by a scrape.

i then faced him another match or two and found it doesnt feel that hard. although he was realy starting to hurt me in vital areas. like at match pauses where i would try to break it with low P into screw hook, he would use hopping tools to launch powerful combos. i then found my choices were limited and lost after almost breaking out a 3-1 win down to a 2-3 comeback loss (the usual story whenever i face top teirs *sigh*)

i then got up and thought that was enough. slightly bummed but hey, i asked if i could take his photo anywayz.. after that, i though i could give the guy a few more bouts. i then witnessed his real play. and it was SICK! like in the am2 sega thread when he smashed cmr, hideo and kyasao all in one post. i felt some true yomi that i was too scared even the make a single choice!

so basically, he was confident and i was machi.. i had no chance. he then asked for no more challenges coz he had to rush off leaving his credit in the machine. *shrug* i think i would have been more prepared for kage teef rather than lau teef. in all i witnessed some high level play at least.

my only regret is that i challenged more times than i should have. i think my character knowlege needs training up.

EDIT: makatiel -- ill be at shibuya high-tech land tomorrow (wednesday), i guess ill be there probably during the day till lateish. not sure how many challenges i can actually squeeze in as i gotta start putting aside money for when i go back to london, but ill play as much as i can.

13. Crazy_Galaxy

Thanks for the reports BK, very enjoyable read, nice to see you giving out some beatings, and taking some from Edo! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Dai did say he was rubbish didn't he ^_^)
    Aoi pwnage thats what I like to hear /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Shame they don't do well in torni's....)
    Yeah from the sounds of it your games kinda evolved along the same path like mine, i.e in the defence area,(or as others say teef! ¬_¬)
    If you got time you reckon you could post more info on the way they use ARE? I mean it sounds like it really limited your options, plus I thought ARE in FT was limited in some way.
    Anyways look forward to playing your new hyped up wolf when you get back to London. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

(Typical Remi can't be assed to write a report, haha, oh well g-ho wait till he gets back for pai info /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    and taking some from Edo! (Dai did say he was rubbish didn't he ^_^)

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno what dai was smokin last time he trashed Edo, but the guy completely different to what i had imagened too!

imagen a super faster verion of ryans lau with FT play style, even at disadvantage he uses hopping combo starters to own your low P, his oki game is sick, and once he starts attacking, your choices are numbered! dunno, mabye its one of those `wolf sucks ass against pressure` arguments again..

well, ill take my beats and learn vs lau play..

btw, ARE is used like any safe / disadvantage situation, but u can even use it up to -4 mid disadvantage unlike box step or CDG. basically you are screwed if you keep relying on guessing low/mid attack choices at neutral position. sometimes you must poke and set up some mixes (and dont think dashing up to thow on oki is gonna be your best friend all the time, or even during a match for that matter). btw, i reckon going back to evo is gonna screw me big time as ive adjusted wolfs b*K as a poke into my game now. -___-*

15. Crazy_Galaxy

Yeah even in evo I found the Wolf vs Lau match up quite hard, I try to use roar as an option, against poking elbows, but then the throws and knockdowns come into it (Btw I'm on the Wolf's fun but sucks bandwagon /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif )
    Edo's lau sounds mad though
    /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    and yeah that new sidekick looks too good! Lets hope we get final tuned soon so people like Vo can show us how ARE does not work against certain mans! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

Don't mean to argue with you BK but I though ARE was only effective up to -3. Didn't you say people were doing it up to -10 though? Is this a change in the game system? if so, what is the point of ETEG? it would become essentially useless.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

You do better without the card for primarily two reasons:

- No pressure from you, so you play loose. Losses aren't recorded.

- Opponent needs an extra round or two to figure out how good you are. If you had statistics, they'd be able to make a more educated guess early on.

Keep writing these reports! Jealous to see you in Japan...

18. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I think he said fuzzy guarding throws when they are at -10. I would write a report but i would rather write a big one when i get back to the uk which now looks like it might be even later because of the typhoon heading are way on the day we are supposed to leave.

19. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

lol, he was AREing me at -10 coz i just want fast enough. either that or i just dont get it! (to be more specific, i was whiffing throws after gohs knee).

anywayz, last time i heard, i think its -4, but -3 still counts as mid dis, so either way, its not that big deal *shrug*. i should be in shibuya today to hopefully play some last VF, hopefully dai will be there too since hes now japan material after leaving the UK^^*

EDIT; ice-9, i think they would be even more easy on me if they saw my low amount of matches, no name and no items on my card, lol.

P.S -- yeah, that typhoon looks like its gonna potentally keep me in japan as a bum for a while 0___0*

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Actually, Ice is right in the sense...if you don't use a card...they spend half the time trying to figure out if

a)you're a friend
    b)who the hell are you
    c)pre match molestation takes place.

Regardless, I would suggest you to use your card as much as possible.

I've mentioned this b4...they don;t really give a shit abt ur %+dan

They just want ppl to play with card.

It's too bad nishisupo is closed for renovation now. Otherwise, I am sure u will enjoy playing VF there the most.