1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

FT Challenge Mode Thread

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by supergolden, Nov 24, 2004.

1. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Hey guys,

I'm writing this thread for a few reasons... First, I'd like to share a few tips I have regardng challenge mode and getting good scores... For those in the US not hooked up to VF.NET, you may not have so much motivation for quest mode... But if we use this thread as kind of a "high score board" maybe we can get some friendly competition going on...

The most important thing to get a good score is to, of course, pass the challenge...

The next most important thing is winning with an excellent (or two if you can)... This, and quickly finishing your opponent, should be a higher priority then trying to complete the challenge more times than necessary... For example, for the "throw your opponent" challenge, one match the opponent fell for like 15 surprise exchanges in a row... I thought I'd have high score for sure, being that I had something like 15/5 necessary throws, but my score sucked... So if you want a good score pass the challenge as fast as possible, and then try to finish off your opponent as swiftly as possible by KO (I don't think ringing out the opponent is worth as much points)...

Tips for finishing your opponent quickly is to use striking attacks intead of throws... Throws tend to take long to execute, and unless it is a Perfect Giant Swing or something it probably isn't worth it...

Character specific tip: with Jacky, at least on some of the easier challenges, you might be able to tool the computer with repeated 6pp or 6pkp... If you use his Evo 66k, the computer might fall for repeated 66k4 p+k, 66k, P+K etc...

For Kage, I would suggest big damage moves like his Jumanji KG, and then K+GPP... To get excellents with him (on harder opponents) I've had the most luck backturned ARM waiting for the computer to whiff an attack and then nailing them with a 2k, 3kg repeat...

Some people here in Japan have CRAZY scores... For example, on the "Beat a Strong Opponent" challenge the high score is over 10,000! That is usually more than my total score for the whole game is! Any idea how they do it? And also, any idea if a higher total score at the end means you get to get more money?

For those playing on VF.NET:
    I'm not sure if I've seen this mentioned, but if your overall score at the end of quest mode is high you can get a golden coin... If you get four golden coins, you will get a pretty cool item for your character... You can keep on doing this, although I don't know what the exact criteria are for getting the gold coins, or the maximum number of items you can get with them...

High scores
    Although I don't have any written down, I'm going to take notice next time I go to the arcade and post them up here for motivation... Namflow and I have (or at least had) high score in the past on some of the challenges...

And on the topic of challenges, I finished arcade mode in 3:43:35 with Jacky - fastest time in the local arcade! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good challenge for all those who care for time attack...

-Alex

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Thanks for the input, NYC were slowly figuring out the scoring system. At first I was trying to get more attempts at the goal but I learned time is the key. Beat the CPU as fast as you can and complete the goal. Also, Eliusive took the first event top score when he noticed he got an excellent: 4000+

I'm finding some of the tasks are really challenging. The 7 hit combo on half gravity especially. I'm thinking the only way to do it from use of a wall.

[ QUOTE ]
    on the "Beat a Strong Opponent" challenge the high score is over 10,000!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's insane! I wonder what's the max score for a stage is. I'm guessing completing the hardest level should give some good points.

3. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm finding some of the tasks are really challenging. The 7 hit combo on half gravity especially. I'm thinking the only way to do it from use of a wall.

[/ QUOTE ] A wall helps alot so try to push your opponent towards the edge of the ring at the start of the round. Then use your biggest floater and just p(g), p(g), p(g), p(g), p(g)...that's the easiest way I've found of doing it. You'll probably have to add some mid or low attacks at the end as your opponent gets closer to the ground. Also using a p,p,p type series near the end of the combo will help.

4. ELiusive

ELiusive Well-Known Member

Seems like some stages just don't give nearly as many points as others when you do well.

Aside from the win by Excellent challenges, "Win, don't let opponent hit the ground" is killing me. Any nuggets of wisdom for that one? Using Pai that is.

Actually the "execute certain move" isn't so easy, can you crouch dash into a "while standing" move?

All help appreciated.

Also, supergolden, are there specific characters that dominate the top times on arcade mode? Besides your Jacky, of course.

5. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    [ QUOTE ]
    DrunkenCat said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Then use your biggest floater and just p(g), p(g), p(g), p(g), p(g)..

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that was the easiest way to do it, the problem is I'm playing Goh. His floater is hard enough to hit as it is and the float aint too high. I've only tried the stage a couple of times, I think I landed 4 punches after the float. Next time I going to try to hold [6_] with the punches to get more distance. I guess I can also get lucky and face a lightweight, I'm sure that would help too.

To Eliu: Input the crouch dash, let go of the stick, hit the button. One quick rhythm. [3][3][n][K] You'll get it with a little practice for sure.

6. DeLune

DeLune Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

The next most important thing is winning with an excellent (or two if you can)... This, and quickly finishing your opponent, should be a higher priority then trying to complete the challenge more times than necessary... For example, for the "throw your opponent" challenge, one match the opponent fell for like 15 surprise exchanges in a row... I thought I'd have high score for sure, being that I had something like 15/5 necessary throws, but my score sucked... So if you want a good score pass the challenge as fast as possible, and then try to finish off your opponent as swiftly as possible by KO (I don't think ringing out the opponent is worth as much points)...

For those playing on VF.NET:
    I'm not sure if I've seen this mentioned, but if your overall score at the end of quest mode is high you can get a golden coin... If you get four golden coins, you will get a pretty cool item for your character... You can keep on doing this, although I don't know what the exact criteria are for getting the gold coins, or the maximum number of items you can get with them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that by doing the same moves more than the requirement do give you extra points as well.
    Today, one of the requirement for Lion is to do [P]+[K],[P],[K][K] 2 times.
    I did around 6~7 times on Aoi and I got a whooping 7200 pts.
    I do agree that finishing as fast as possible and excellent gives extra bonus points as well.

As for the gold coin, I got one today and I think the requirement may not be based the scoring. I got 14000 for one game and I got money But for the next game, I got 10000 points and I got a gold coin. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Maybe someone will like to clarify the method.

7. BlissBless

BlissBless Member

for the gold coins, people in korea believe that it is random...

they say that it comes out more often when you get about 13000 points, and also if you play strict textbook plays (ex. hitting pk when +13)

if you get 4 gold coins, you get a random bronze, silver or gold evo item (the ones you can win by winning when the boxes appear)

8. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I hope this isn't up somewhere already. Translated from Orange Mook, p. 6. Don't know the difference between tough (tafu) and strong (tsuyoi).

"Getting a final rank of AAA requires AAA on all the missions along the way.

When you finish the challenge mode, you will be rewarded with either money, or a coin and money. If you don't get a coin, you will be compensated with more money. Also, the higher your rank, the more money. Conversely, the chance of getting a coin doesn't seem to change with your total rank, and it wouldn't be a problem to think of it as random. Even if you get rank As, you can still expect to get a coin sometimes.

Prizes for Coins
    1 - New item (one of two varieties.)
    2- Evo items
    3- Money

Challenge Mode Requirements

Achieving an AAA ranking.
    The requirements for a AAA rank change depending on the stage.

Condition 1 - all the other stages.
    - Complete the mission and win each stage.

Condition 2 - 1-1, 3-1, 5-1, 8-1, 7-2, 8-2, 6-3, 6-4, 8-5, 7-6, 8-6
    - Complete the mission. Win each stage with greater than 50% health remaining.

Condition 3 - 5-2, 5-4, 8-4, 6-6, 7-7, 8-8
    - Complete the mission requirements in each round.

Mission contents.
    1-1 Beat the opponent.
    2-1 Connect 5 throws
    2-2 Connect 5 evade attacks
    3-1 Win using only attacks
    3-2 Connect 15 hits
    3-3 Do combo 1 (difficulty low)
    4-1 Do combo 1 (difficulty low)
    4-2 Connect a certain attack 3 times
    4-3 Connect a certain attack 3 times
    4-4 Do combo 2 (difficulty medium)
    5-1 Win with a cancellable attack ?
    5-2 Win with an excellent
    5-3 Add a cancellable to a 5-hit combo, 2 times
    5-4 K.O. a tough opponent
    5-5 Add a cancellable hit into two different kinds of combos
    6-1 Do combo 2 (difficulty medium)
    6-2 Do a 3 hit combo, 3 times
    6-3 Win within 15 seconds
    6-4 Defeat a strong opponent
    6-5 Connect a 7 hit combo twice in half gravity
    6-6 K.O. the opponent with a set move
    7-1 Evade 4 times successfully
    7-2 Win without knocking the opponent down
    7-3 Connect a 7 hit combo twice in half gravity
    7-4 Add a cancellable hit into two different kinds of combos
    7-5 Do combo 3 (difficulty hard)
    7-6 Defeat a strong opponent
    7-7 K.O. a tough opponent
    8-1 Win in half gravity
    8-2 K.O. a tough opponent
    8.3 Do combo 3 (difficulty hard)
    8-4 K.O. the opponent with a set move
    8-5 Win without knocking the opponent down
    8-6 Win within 15 seconds
    8-7 Do combo 3 (difficulty hard)
    8-8 Win with an excellent

9. Subbers

Subbers Active Member

"Strong" is just strong AI. "Tough" means the opponent has a double-sized life bar, which is probably why the mission specifies KOing them.

The one where you can't let the opponent hit the ground, I've passed, even though my opponent clearly hit the ground. Maybe tech rolls are exempt, in which case it'd be totally up to chance.

Excellents seem to give a LOT of points. Even if you finish in about the same time, and your life is close to full, you get around a thousand less points.

10. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Thanks for that. Forgotten that I didn't know in the first place.

The instruction is most likely "down suru na", and yeah, if they tech it's not counted. It was like this for the equivalent VF4evo mission. Just have to look for moves that don't give the option of teching.

11. Subbers

Subbers Active Member

Here's a theory on the "down" mission:

"Down" is in reference to down attacks, not knockdowns. I tested this today. I won the first round with no down attacks (got 1/1), and did one df+p in the second (nothing), so I think it's right.

12. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

It's definitely knockdowns. "down suru" is the act of a knockdown, in JP VF terms.

13. Sarked

Sarked Member

Translation

We have a Japanese version unit here but unfortunately, none of us can read Japanese. Is there an available translation of the FT?

I'm wondering what this P+K+G thing that you can press before you start in normal mode.

Also, how do I get to customize my character?

Thanks.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: Translation

[ QUOTE ]
    We have a Japanese version unit here but unfortunately, none of us can read Japanese. Is there an available translation of the FT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm wondering what this P+K+G thing that you can press before you start in normal mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is when you want to transfer your card data to a new card when your old card has no more uses left. When you press P+K+G you will be asked for confirmation and you select yes/hai (left) if you want to proceed, or no/iie (right) if you want to cancel. If you select yes, another prompt appears telling you to wait while it prepares your card data; a few seconds later another prompt appears asking you to insert the new card. Take your old card out, insert the new one, and it will transfer your data to it automatically. Your old card will be useless after this point.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, how do I get to customize my character?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without vf.net access and a personal account, you can't do any customisation.

The only visual changes you can see on a vf.net-less machine will be automatic colour changes for your outfit when you reach certain ranks, and any curse items.

15. Sarked

Sarked Member

Thanks for the info.

How would I know if the machine has vf.net? and if it has one, how do i get an account?

Thanks again for the help.

16. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

If you are not in Japan, you do not have VF.net.

17. Sarked

Sarked Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are not in Japan, you do not have VF.net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sheesh.. so I could hardly make use of the card I purchased then!? What a waste.. /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

18. Sarked

Sarked Member

So does that also mean that getting points from challenge mode is also pointless without vf.net?

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

You don't get points from Challenge mode.. you get either money or gold coins with which you can buy items from the shop. But yes, both of these are useless without vf.net.

The only use your card has without vf.net is to track your wins/losses, and of course rank up and have exciting ranking matches with your friends! Also, you will receive an automatic colour change for your outfits when you reach a ranking of 5th kyu and 1st dan.

IMHO, having card support with no vf.net is much better than not having any card support at all.

20. Sarked

Sarked Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't get points from Challenge mode.. you get either money or gold coins with which you can buy items from the shop. But yes, both of these are useless without vf.net.

IMHO, having card support with no vf.net is much better than not having any card support at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, it was money, not points.

Well, like what you said, at least we get to brag who gets better win-loss records. I'll just keep the card, in case vf.net becomes available.. that is, IF it becomes available or IF I get to go to Japan.

Thanks for the info!