1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Guard Break follow ups?

Discussion in 'Lei' started by iamthedave, Aug 1, 2012.

1. iamthedave

iamthedave Member

I'm wondering what the best option is out of his Kyo stance. All I've put together is P 6P into Dokuritsu; nothing else seems to hit before they block again.

2. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    From Kyo you have quite a few options.
    1) P+K gives guard break on guard or vital crumple on hit/CH, which can then lead to combos.
    2) 6P on hit also opens up combos.
    3) P,P,2K is a good string to keep the
    opponent guessing.
    4) 2K,K is good too. The second K is guaranteed if the first hits.
    Other than that, Kyo is used to connect and end combos. I will use it in some strings on guard from time to time to mix things up...

3. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    kyo guard break gives you +12
    his options after are leifei's throws, [P][P], and [P][6][P]

4. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

THAT'S IT???? Those are his guaranteed combos on guard break??? So goh and akira get 46p combos and lei gets a guaranteed...20 damage (or something like that). Are these the worst guard break guaranteed combos on the game?

It looks like they willfully made lei fei weak. I wouldn't mind if he just kinda fell behind because of other peoples buffs, but it looks like they went through his move list and just made him intentionally weak. No staggers for lei. No off axis for lei. Smaller sabaki window for lei. No strong throws for lei.
    I don't even want to play this lol. No safe launchers for lei. No strong combos for lei. It looks like it takes 4 right choices to win rounds, and 2-3 opponents right choices to lose? aarrrggghhh. Poor lei. Reinventing F tier!

5. social_ruin

/RAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGEEEEE rage rage rage

Also worth noting--> I'm at the airport flying home from a 2 day work trip, my flight has been delayed for 2 hours and they haven't given a single hint as to why. So i may be a bit irritable.

6. VFnumbers

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    its tough social i know. [​IMG]
    Other attacks include [2][P], [P], and [6_][P]

7. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    For what it's worth, Lei does have staggers...But, yea...I feel you. Lei is hard to use at the higher levels. It comes down to conditioning and mix-ups...
    One thing I like is Lei has a stagger using 6K on opponent's evade with a guaranteed K from Koko.

8. ClarenceMage

ClarenceMage Member

PSN:
    ClarenceMage
    [8][P][+][K][+][G] [2][K] leads do 80 damage combo if not shaken out. Mixup with [8][P][+][K][+][G] [P][+][K] [P][+][G] hit throw for instant 65 damage.

[8][P][+][K][+][G] [2]/[8][K][+][G] is off-axis full circular low.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smaller sabaki window for lei.</div></div>

Seems pretty good to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No strong throws for lei.</div></div>

[4][1][2][3][6][P][+][G] [4][6][P][+][G] [2][3][6][P][+][G] for 70 damage not good enough?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No safe launchers for lei.</div></div>

[8][P][+][K][+][G] [K] is -4 on block. [3][3][P] crushes highs after a few frames, is -8 on block, hit confirmable into [3][3][P][P] on counter hit. [9][K][+][G] crushes lows, is only throw guaranteed, so gear up your throw escape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No strong combos for lei.</div></div>

The strength of leifei's [3][3][P][P] and [9][K][+][G] is their high-low crush. His [1][P][+][K] can lead to an easy 86 damage on everyone Akira-weight and lower. Higher damage on lower weight characters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like it takes 4 right choices to win rounds, and 2-3 opponents right choices to lose?</div></div>

If you want to play magical theory VF where every single hit is a CH launcher, Lei-Fei still has his [1][P][+][K], which as I said before leads to easy 86 damage, 99 on CH. Easy 3-decision win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poor lei. Reinventing F tier!</div></div>

Look at all the options you have instead of making rash evaluations. Lei-Fei is godlike. Stop being silly.

9. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No safe launchers for lei.</div></div>

Bokutai P, Zenten K, Hai K, Koko P?
    edit: 46P+K

And he has combos.. still. I wouldn't put Lei to bottom of the barrel even though he is nowhere near where he was in vanilla imo.

10. social_ruin

Seems pretty good to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No strong throws for lei.</div></div>

[4][1][2][3][6][P][+][G] [4][6][P][+][G] [2][3][6][P][+][G] for 70 damage not good enough?

[8][P][+][K][+][G] [K] is -4 on block. [3][3][P] crushes highs after a few frames, is -8 on block, hit confirmable into [3][3][P][P] on counter hit. [9][K][+][G] crushes lows, is only throw guaranteed, so gear up your throw escape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No strong combos for lei.</div></div>

The strength of leifei's [3][3][P][P] and [9][K][+][G] is their high-low crush. His [1][P][+][K] can lead to an easy 86 damage on everyone Akira-weight and lower. Higher damage on lower weight characters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like it takes 4 right choices to win rounds, and 2-3 opponents right choices to lose?</div></div>

If you want to play magical theory VF where every single hit is a CH launcher, Lei-Fei still has his [1][P][+][K], which as I said before leads to easy 86 damage, 99 on CH. Easy 3-decision win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poor lei. Reinventing F tier!</div></div>

Look at all the options you have instead of making rash evaluations. Lei-Fei is godlike. Stop being silly. </div></div>

Lol don't tell me lei fei's tools. I've never even played vf5fs and could log on right now and beat you with him!!!

When i complain about lei's tools i do so from the eyes of a high level player. I know what i see. I won't go to in depth but a lot of the nerfs he suffered don't even entirely make sense from a design standpoint.

By the way, his off axis 3p+k,p and doko 2/8k+g were nerfed like crazy and now often lose to the very moves they are designed to counter. That is why i criticized his off axis.

33p is ruined as a move from a risk vs reward standpoint. It's combos are weak. The 2nd hit doesn't float if it is the only one to hit (maybe on ch?). And bizarrely they gave 33p money combos to 1p+K and changed the button combination (to no real end).

Where you point out that lei can defeat an opponent in 3 combos...in those situations high tier players will win in 2 combos...with less risky launchers.
    I might not play the game, but i still KNOW the game.

@ manji good catch on bokutai p+k float, but from what i've seen i believe they nerfed the combo damage on it as well. Also, a lot of the 'tricky' stance change 'i caught u moves' were already least effective vs high lvl players. If u ever turned ur back on denkai or sds it was auto jacky 46k+g for free free damage. Virtually any time u sniffed hai stance they'd do a jacky low k. Anyhow, i digress.

11. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

Lol what? Sarcasm?

12. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    It's elementary troll GT, elementary troll is equivalent to BlackBeltSpartan's play. [​IMG]

13. social_ruin

Lol KO, is blackbeltspartan a lei you can't beat? [​IMG]

14. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Nah, he's top 5 rank in the world online from pulling. [​IMG]

Reason we're poking fun at you is cause you're "talking from the eyes of a high-level player" when you just realized FS came out on consoles a week or 2 ago AND have never played the game to boot. Come on now Social. [​IMG]

I'm not saying that you don't have knowledge about lei, the things you say make sense to me but you ain't going to beat anyone right now, you ain't a high enough level player. ^_^

15. social_ruin

But did u read the whole thread???? I was stranded at the airport for over 2 hours...it sucked. This was after an 11 hour work day!!!

If i don't believe in myself, who will!!!!

And they further reward pulling now? Great design choice lol.

16. Sharizord

Sharizord Active Member

If we are complaining about lei i would like it if when guarding a -15 move he could get more than 42 and no knockdown or 31 and a knockdown.

17. social_ruin

Geez, that sounds REALLY bad. What kind of damage can other fighters do off of +15 adv plz?

18. Sharizord

Sharizord Active Member

I think the majority gets atleast 60-70 and a knockdown if not more.

19. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

The peeps with a 14f guaranteed on recovery string get ~50.

The guys who got combos out in ver.C still do with buffed up combo damage (Akira,Lau,Pai, Goh,Brad,OS Vane, Lion, Wolf,Taka..)

Punishing big moves like this on block was pretty ass with Lei in ver.C too though, if memory serves me right. 1 other option is 6P+K,P into Kyo mix-ups.

On another note, the guard break gives you a guaranteed throw attempt.
    On yet another note, if you get opponent to guard it sideturned the reward gets better.

Besides, Goh guardbreak is only +12 from front too, no guaranteed 46P's.

20. VFnumbers

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    One of the bright sides of kyo [P][+][K] guard break move is that if it hits either normal or counter you get a head collapse.
    Strats i use if it guard breaks is using [P][P] leaves lei at -4. Most likey ur opponent will try to [2][P] so backdash to whiff and punish with [3][3][P][P], [1][P][+][K], [9][K][+][G] or use mid range moves like [4][K], and [4][P][+][K]
    You can [P] after guard break leaves you +5 to force guessing game between throw or various attacks at 12, 13, 14, or 15f execution to beat abare and continue offense.
    You can [2][P] and get +4 advantage, use either throws,[6][6][P], [K](half circ to beat evades),[K][+][G], [4][3][P][+][K](knockdown) to continue offense.